Options

Exam failure and bounce back

agreeragreer Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the Linux+ aboiut a week and a half ago and it didnt go so well. I failed. This is after taking a 3-credit-hour course as part of my college degree in CIS.

I reallly want the cert, I missed it by 170. I want to pass it, by the end of Christmas break, that is Jan 10, and I need advice on the best way to brush up.

A bud recomended that I set up Gentoo, saying that if I do that successfully, I should be able to nail the Linux+. is this accurate?

All advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
    Read a book, I suggest reading one of the books listed under the LINUX+ page. You can't just install Linux and be ready for the exam.
  • Options
    agreeragreer Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Linux+ Study Guide, 3rd Edition (XKO-002) was the text for the class and it didnt adequitly prepare me, obviously.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Plus to add that , I heard Gentoo is a monster to install. I heard everything has to be compiled from source and I mean everything. I heard that it takes days sometimes to install it in a working condition. What flavor of Linux are you using? Install either Fedora or Debian.
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Gentoo is indeed a hardcore Linux installation.

If you can set it up you are probably able to pass Linux+ but that doesn't work the other way round !

What I'm trying to say is get another book or study guide, use a more "friendly" distribution like Knoppix, Debian or the like and pratice.

Best regards,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    JasonZX1200RJasonZX1200R Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lordy wrote:
    Gentoo is indeed a hardcore Linux installation.

If you can set it up you are probably able to pass Linux+ but that doesn't work the other way round !

What I'm trying to say is get another book or study guide, use a more "friendly" distribution like Knoppix, Debian or the like and pratice.

Best regards,
    Lordy

I use only gentoo, the installation is "hardcore" compaired to say redhat. It definatly helps with learning. I started linux by just installing gentoo, and working on stuff from there. Ive probably installed it on 6 or 7 systems so far. The emerge system is awesome, and its not like you compile the stuff yourself. emerge $name is enough for most things. Im going to try and take the linux+ by Jan. I personally learned alot from the use / installation, but would definatly recomend a study helper so you know what knowlege the exam is going to be looking for.

Another thing is some of the default paths are kind of odd compaired to say RH.

EX : default apache config file is /etc/apache2/conf/apache2.conf