I decided to go for the CCNA instead of Red Hat certs..

YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
A little background on me: I'm currently in a NOC tier 1/ Linux support role. I thought I wanted to become a Linux admin, so I wanted to get the RHCSA and RHCE. But randomly over the weekend I thought it was a bad idea to put all my egg's in one basket (the linux field), so I thought gaining more knowledge in networking will make my Linux+ look a little better..instead of adding 2 more Linux certs.

I bought the video's from Train signal and I'm going to buy the Boson network simulator once the video's start getting into IOS..which will probably be in a couple of days. From what I've read so far, that should be enough material.

I'm hoping to knock it out by mid April so I can look for a better paying NOC/networking job (I'm in my 1st IT job, and my current company knew I was eager to get my 1st IT job..so they low-balled the crap out of me, plus I live an hour away from my work). The good new is.. there are a good amount of NOC position's around me, so I'm thinking about passing the CCENT quickly..then start applying. And I bought a Network+ voucher (from last year) which expires April 7th, so I'll probably take that in the next month as well.

Let me know if you have any advice or suggestions.

Comments

• fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    I bought the video's from Train signal and I'm going to buy the Boson network simulator once the video's start getting into IOS..which will probably be in a couple of days. From what I've read so far, that should be enough material.

without a book?
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You need to do what you need to do.

But you should also do what you enjoy or finding time to do what you need to will be hard.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A little background on me: I'm currently in a NOC tier 1/ Linux support role. I thought I wanted to become a Linux admin, so I wanted to get the RHCSA and RHCE. But randomly over the weekend I thought it was a bad idea to put all my egg's in one basket (the linux field), so I thought gaining more knowledge in networking will make my Linux+ look a little better..instead of adding 2 more Linux certs.

I'm hoping to knock it out by mid April so I can look for a better paying NOC/networking job (I'm in my 1st IT job, and my current company knew I was eager to get my 1st IT job..so they low-balled the crap out of me, plus I live an hour away from my work). The good new is.. there are a good amount of NOC position's around me, so I'm thinking about passing the CCENT quickly..then start applying. And I bought a Network+ voucher (from last year) which expires April 7th, so I'll probably take that in the next month as well.

Sounds like a plan! Except Network+ is really not that useful if you're going to go for CCENT/CCNA. You might as well not spend time/money on it unless you just want it to have it, which is cool :)

Out of curiosity, are you planning on reading a book? for ICND1 I would suggest this:

Amazon.com: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 640-822 Official Cert Guide (3rd Edition) eBook: Odom Wendell, Odom Wendell: Kindle Store

I'm about halfway through it and I really enjoy the way the material is presented. Subnetting is nicely broken up into several (6-8.) chapters and the book is just easy for me to read.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745

I hear that the TrainSignal videos are very good, and are rumored to cover lots of details (these are Chris Bryant videos, correct?) but ...not too sure you're going about it the way I would. That is to say, I like to read things for myself, and not necessarily trust a video to be the complete story. Also, seeing the same facts from multiple angles helps a lot.

As a possessor of Network+, I would tell you that it is practically worthless, in terms of Employment opportunities. Considering the cost of the exam, you would be honestly better served to focus on CCNA, whether that be the one or two exam path. Since you have the voucher anyway, though, go ahead and knock it out in a week or two. (You already work in a NOC, and have Linux+, so you probably understand quite a few of the basics of networking, anyway.) CCENT/Network+ is redundant, but if you want to MOST wisely use your study time, concentrate on the CCENT first, and the Network+ on the side. You could pick up the Network+ while primarily studying for the CCENT, it is THAT easy. I just don't want you to get too distracted, with pursuing something that an employer would hardly ever ask or care for... most employers will naturally "assume" that you have the Network+ level knowledge, if you're even straight out of school. I know that this statement is a BIG change from what I was advocating at this same time last year, but its been based purely on common sense, and recent experiences. That is to say, I was Cisco certified before, but didn't really find a job using it to its full potential, so I let it lapse. Then, I decided to re-cert this past summer and the test was indeed more difficult, and felt more "real-world".

Some certifications indeed pull more weight than others, and you can notice a direct effect on the types of e-mails you get from recruiters. (Note: I have 10+ years experience, so the experience helps a lot, but I can tell that some certs have a better positive effect than others.)

Ever since maybe 2009, I'd often get recruiter e-mails or calls about this or that high-level role for something server-based (Senior Microsoft XXX, or Senior VMware XXX or Senior Citrix XXXX ) even though I had to use networking skills at all of my roles I've had in the past, not even a sniff.

After I got Security+, I'd get frequent contacts from government contractors. I was shocked to hear that they apparently had difficulty getting candidates to pass the Security+. .... never knew it was supposed to be hard, so I got the book on Friday, and tested on that Monday, MLK day. Note: experience/training obviously helped here, as most of the material on the test, I remembered first seeing either doing from work, or College or AIT (Advanced Individual Training -- a military thing you get after Basic training).

After I obtained the CISSP, I'd often get offers for Senior Security XXX or Senior Infosec XXXX. Please note that I was exercising security skills even back in basic training (Cover me while I move! I got you covered!! Safety, Dust Cover, Left, Right, Up, MOVING!!!! .... IN POSITION!!!! --- some of you will actually get this .) But ... those skills apparently didn't do as much for your job prospects for Security roles as the CISSP. I think that ISC2 has done a great marketing job with this one, especially to the DoD (Department of Defense).

Fast forward to today, and after only adding CCNA/CCNA:Security to my resume, and I now get e-mails and calls for Senior Network XXXXX this, or Senior Cisco XXX that. Granted, the experience helps, but notice how the recruitment engines weren't even matching me up to the better networking opportunities, until I had the CCNA first.

Also, first hand experience of how much more the CCNA is worth than Network+: my own wife had ITIL, and the CompTIA trilogy, and PM and Quality certifications, and she couldn't do any better than DSL phone support (she also has a Bachelor's from a technical college). [Please note that my wife is a very proud woman, and she refused to go after any job opportunity that I would try to assist her to get. Also, she has a foreign-sounding name, so people probably think she's from India, before they ever meet her. --- about this, I told her to put "U.S. Citizen" on her resume, if she refused to edit her name (likes using her foreign-sounding maiden name, which obviously hurts her prospects a lot-- she actually was able to get job offer from a defense contractor that would double her salary, after I convinced her to add US Citizen to her resume ... there is actually a big prejudice against foreign-sounding names out there, which, though she is aware of, she wants to overcome "her way".) She gets the CCNA, and now she starts at a VAR (value-added reseller) next week, and she now gets recruiter e-mails and phone calls right and left. ..... she's the same exact person, but the CCNA has made a very positive difference for her. .... now, I just have to convince her to work on that Humility+ certification...I've tried the demanding way before, and got no where, so now I'll try the gentler way, and just lavish her with compliments whenever she does something humble, a positive feedback sort of thing.

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    1) I'm ONLY taking the network+ because I already have the voucher, I didn't just buy it. lol

2) I just bought Odom's book on Amazon, will be here on Wednesday.

3) instant 000,
    I use to be in contact with a recruiter about 6 months ago and he would call every 2-4 weeks asking if I started the CCNA because he had a good amount of positions asking for it. I should of realized then how valuable it was but at least I'm doing it now!.
  • lanrexng2lanrexng2 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks instant you post is on the money and very informational. Yuck focus on CCNA, CCNA Sec and CCNA Voice in that order. Every network guy I know does some voice at some point. I am going to throwin the CCNA Wireless down the road. Good luck!
    M Sc Computer Science == 1% completeA+, Network+, Security+, CCENT == 100% complete
    ICND2, RHCSA, C/C++, Python, x86,
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good idea here. I would recommend doing the Red Hat certs once you get more experience with Unix/Linux.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good idea here. I would recommend doing the Red Hat certs once you get more experience with Unix/Linux.

That's kind of what I was thinking too. Once I pass the CCNA, I'll have a better idea of what I want to do next.
  • pacotacopacotaco Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    instant000 wrote: »
    .... now, I just have to convince her to work on that Humility+ certification...

icon_lol.gif thanks for the laugh today. first one.
    Looking to transfer to WGU to begin Bachelors in IT
  • Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    instant000 wrote: »

(Cover me while I move! I got you covered!! Safety, Dust Cover, Left, Right, Up, MOVING!!!! .... IN POSITION!!!! --- some of you will actually get this .)

. .... now, I just have to convince her to work on that Humility+ certification...I've tried the demanding way before,
    Hope this helps!

Love these quotes can relate to the Army one and the Humility + (Must be a woman thing)
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'