Ccna voice

This is a question for the ccna voice certified. do you feel after with the knowledge you obtained prepping for the cert you can go setup offices of 20 - 30 ppl with voip solutions from the ground up.

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Yes and no.

You will have a idea of the hardware and the requirements of getting voice up, but it leaves out so many problems you will face like home users who want to use there phones' from home. You will also have to have knolowdge of dealing with the telco's and what to ask and order from the client. All of these come with experience.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you saying after ccna voice you still wouldn't be ready to do small to mid size office deployment?
    Not until you got some time in the field that will be what makes you ready to do deployments.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes and no as well...

There is setting up in a lab environment, and setting up in the field. The old IIUC CCNA-Voice takes you a fair way there, but skims over (to a large degre) or just skips Voicemail, auto-attendant, hunt groups, remote users, dealing with telcos and the end user to name a few (especially "know-it-all" end users who had a feature on their old phone system and now don't :)).

Then there is stand-alone vs networked as well as if you doing a full deployment with internet, firewall, WAN and VPN.

As shodown said, it all comes down to experience.
    Now that we have given you a good dose of reality, by all means GET YOUR CCNA V if you are interested in voice, you will have a HUGE leg up over guys who get told to deploy voice. A good portion of my job is fixing half assed voice deployments across the world and business is great. You can too acquire these skills get a few deployments under your belt and you will be ready.
    Currently Reading

icon_thumright.gif sounds good. Only reason I asked because my brother keeps hounding me to get voice. He is a consultant and wants me to learn voip with cisco then migrate to other vendors so we can do deployments for companies he services that still don't have voip. But I was looking at the material and felt it was lacking.. I figured there has to be so many factors to consider depending on the client that the ccna voice didn't cover.
    Only get into voice if you like it. This is not like the other fields. Voice is by far the hardest of all the things to learn. It took me 5 months to get my CCNP, and almost 4 years go get my CCNP V. CCNA voice is just for admining systems that are already up. Since you are focusing on small businesses get the older CCNA Voice book. It covers the UC500 series very well. Also get the older call manager express unity express book. Even though those 2 books are older they will give you a good idea of how to get voice deployments up and running.
    Currently Reading

I am interested into exploring the voice side of things. But of course i am always a little weary on learning a whole new language and principals. It so happens I do have study material for the older ccnav exam. I think i have the iiuc.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    shodown wrote: »
    Only get into voice if you like it. This is not like the other fields. Voice is by far the hardest of all the things to learn. It took me 5 months to get my CCNP, and almost 4 years go get my CCNP V. CCNA voice is just for admining systems that are already up. Since you are focusing on small businesses get the older CCNA Voice book. It covers the UC500 series very well. Also get the older call manager express unity express book. Even though those 2 books are older they will give you a good idea of how to get voice deployments up and running.

In your opinion how does the future look for employment in voice? I realize this can all change in ten years but I'm still curious to hear what you think.
    Right now voice is great. We are close to the majority of companies being on a VOIP system. The good things is that people who purchased VOIP a long time ago are looking for upgrades as they would from AD2003-2008 and so on. There is always going to be some sort of VOIP, but it can all be blown away in a second. The good thing about voice is that it relies on good foundational enterprise routing/switching and security. So even if it disappeared you will have something to fall back on. With it becoming virtualized we are doing a lot of VMware data center work within the voice scope as well.
    Currently Reading

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shodown wrote: »
    Right now voice is great. We are close to the majority of companies being on a VOIP system. The good things is that people who purchased VOIP a long time ago are looking for upgrades as they would from AD2003-2008 and so on. There is always going to be some sort of VOIP, but it can all be blown away in a second. The good thing about voice is that it relies on good foundational enterprise routing/switching and security. So even if it disappeared you will have something to fall back on. With it becoming virtualized we are doing a lot of VMware data center work within the voice scope as well.

That's what's happening here. Moving away from the hardware voip, and going to a softphone system instead.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

I mean that we are virtualizing all of the voice applications. We usually give out the soft phones with the deployment for mobile users, but we don't recommend them for everyday use as you have to wait for your computer to come up to take a call or have mobility enabled to have calls xfer to your cell phone.

Also one other thing that I forgot about. With all the half assed voice deployment around its a lot of clean up work to be done. One company in particular is about 3-4 years worth of work that I hope to be starting soon.
    Currently Reading

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    half-assed deployments? How do see if your business has this?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

do you have to wait for your phone call to route.

Is your system always going down

Can you be hacked easily to get outside dial tone

Can you call all of your sites by using extensions

These are just some of the things.
    Currently Reading

@showdown I setup cme on my 2811 at work for testing purposes. I have 2 7945g phones that have all my configs and they call eachother its great! My question is whether there is a way to reset the phones to there default settings on the cli. I tried ephone 2, reset, it resets the config but since I have dhcp running it registers and the configs are back on. do I have to connect the phone to a power brick so it doesnt look for the tftp server and punch some sort of sequence on the keypad such as **#.
  • luberguilarteluberguilarte Member Posts: 112
    Dmarcisco, Powering the phone from a different source will not prevent it from getting the files and configurations from the tftp server, the reset command from the CLI all it does is a soft reboot of the phone, meaning that they will keep all the current configurations, the only way you can factory reset a phone is manually applying these digit sequence as follow:

hold # for couple of seconds until the buttons start flashing, then press 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,*,0,#. that will boot it to factory reset, but aging , if there's any existing configuration for that device like ephone and ephone-dn plus all the files statements under the tftp-server and the load for that device type under Telephony-service, your phone will get the configurations and will register with your call processor again.
    Dmarcisco, Powering the phone from a different source will not prevent it from getting the files and configurations from the tftp server, the reset command from the CLI all it does is a soft reboot of the phone, meaning that they will keep all the current configurations, the only way you can factory reset a phone is manually applying these digit sequence as follow:

hold # for couple of seconds until the buttons start flashing, then press 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,*,0,#. that will boot it to factory reset, but aging , if there's any existing configuration for that device like ephone and ephone-dn plus all the files statements under the tftp-server and the load for that device type under Telephony-service, your phone will get the configurations and will register with your call processor again.

I wasn't aware my 2 yr old post was brought back to life..