Options

Why is the pass score so low?

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
615 out of 900?

Thats a big drop from the network+. I am looking into either the Linux+ or Server+ to keep me going while I look for a job, but if even if the server+ was a bit more difficult, the pass score is low enough to make up for it.

Anyone shed light on this?

Kai.

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't believe Comptia divulges their scoring methodology. My understand is that questions are weighted with different scores in such a way that if you get the score they consider passing, you know "enough". Certification scoring systems (at least Comptia and MS) do not translate well into traditional percentages or ABCDF grades.

A similar concept we have in the U.S. is A.P. testing, which is something high school students can do to get college credit for what they learned in an A.P. class. The score is 1-5, 5 being the best and 1 the worst, but the scores don't remotely translate into letter grades or percentages. They have specific meanings attributed to them, and the vast majority of institutions will accept a 3 or higher. Almost no institutions won't accept a 4, and a few might even accept 2s.

Certification scoring systems are every bit as strange. I wouldn't overthink it.

On the topic of Server+ -- I'd skip it if I were you. It has very little market value, especially outside of the U.S. There's only a very specific career point a person could be at where it would make any sense, and entry level searching isn't it. Focus on getting either the Comptia triad (A+, Net+, Security+) along with a track-specific cert (Win7, Linux+, CCENT/CCNA, etc).
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ahphotoahphoto Member Posts: 103
    ptilsen wrote: »
    On the topic of Server+ -- I'd skip it if I were you. It has very little market value, especially outside of the U.S. There's only a very specific career point a person could be at where it would make any sense, and entry level searching isn't it. Focus on getting either the Comptia triad (A+, Net+, Security+) along with a track-specific cert (Win7, Linux+, CCENT/CCNA, etc).

I agree completely. A+ Network+ and Security +, then focus on a specific vendor cert.
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I don't believe Comptia divulges their scoring methodology. My understand is that questions are weighted with different scores in such a way that if you get the score they consider passing, you know "enough". Certification scoring systems (at least Comptia and MS) do not translate well into traditional percentages or ABCDF grades.

A similar concept we have in the U.S. is A.P. testing, which is something high school students can do to get college credit for what they learned in an A.P. class. The score is 1-5, 5 being the best and 1 the worst, but the scores don't remotely translate into letter grades or percentages. They have specific meanings attributed to them, and the vast majority of institutions will accept a 3 or higher. Almost no institutions won't accept a 4, and a few might even accept 2s.

Certification scoring systems are every bit as strange. I wouldn't overthink it.

Thanks ptilsen,

I was going to do the server+, might have a closer look at CCENT/CCNA instead, they obviously carry some weight, seemingly more than vendor neutral certs from CompTIA.
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    shaX 07shaX 07 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Kai123 wrote: »
    615 out of 900?

Thats a big drop from the network+. I am looking into either the Linux+ or Server+ to keep me going while I look for a job, but if even if the server+ was a bit more difficult, the pass score is low enough to make up for it.

Anyone shed light on this?

Kai.

Not sure where you got your information, but the pass score for Server+ is 750, not 615, per CompTIA's web site.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
    Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
    College: B.S. - Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    lawrence_of_arabialawrence_of_arabia Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Per the CompTIA official website:

CompTIA Server+ Certification

The pass score is 700 on a scale of 100-900; however, it's really 750. Their website is incorrect. I know this because I scored 718 and failed, despite what their 'official' website indicates.
  • Options
    lawrence_of_arabialawrence_of_arabia Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just checked the above website again; they finally changed it to reflect the accurate pass score of 750