Options

Hello

Ghost112Ghost112 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. I am new here and I look forward to learning from everyone here. I plan on starting work on my BS in computer science this coming fall. My question to you guys is, which other certs should I get in the mean time along with working on my degree. Which certifications are the basics and which are the weight carriers? Any help would be awesome, but if not, a friendly hello will suffice.

Comments

• Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Hey Ghost! Where are you headed off to school at? I think most people here would say that the most fundamental certifications are the three CompTIA ones: A+, Net+, and S+. As well as CCENT.

Are you looking to go into coding or networking or possibly something else? I ask, because you are starting CS which generally gears you towards a career in coding. But I would say having some certs as well would give you a broad base for when you start your job hunt.

And welcome to the forums, I'm sure you will learn a lot here, as have I.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Ghost im also new, welcome to this great forum and community where you are going to learn a lot about careers and certifications. The certification routes are many, so the question is what do you like, or which job would you like to have in the future? From there we can tell you some certification paths that will start your journey. Good luck.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you plan on doing software development, perhaps you may want to consider a Microsoft MCPD or aGIAC secure developer cert. Just a random thought - I have no direct experience with either cert. Welcome.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    I agree, start with your basics as mentioned before. Are you new to I.T.? If so they are are great building blocks, if not you'll knock them out in no time.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As some have already mentioned here, it is difficult for us to really say which certs would qualify as basics and which would ve the weight carriers when we don't have any idea of your background. Could you give us some more info? If you are new to IT and looking to get into the systems area (support and administration), then A+, Net+, Sec+ and CCENT are really good places to start.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    Welcome to the forums icon_cool.gif

If I were you I'd go get some hands-on experience. Look for internships, and try to learn how the industry works.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Hello everyone and thank you all for the replies and info thus far. I am currently in the Army and I work in signal and intelligence. I basically work with computers, satellites and occasionally radios. I really don't have any formal certifications or training besides what I was taught during my job training for the military. That being said I would LOVE to get into computer/network security. I haven't started at a school yet and with my being in the military I want to take advantage of a free education while I can. My only vice right now is finding a school to earn my CS degree online for a bachelors. Would you guys recommend a school for me please if you or someone you know has had success. I haven't been this fired up in a long time and I would love to get started ASAP. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Ghost112 wrote: »
    with my being in the military I want to take advantage of a free education while I can.

If you are in the military, then you need to roll over to http://www.vte.cert.org
    You can get free access to the site if you have a .mil email account. Tons of hours of video training for all of your 8570 certs...Net+, Sec+, A+, CEH, CISSP...and many others. Plus free practice tests for each one. If you're not looking to spend a lot of money, I'd say that is the best place for you to start. Pick a cert (I'd recommend Net+ as the best entry level) and then get a study guide from your local bookstore (usually about $50) and watch the video lectures. Learn the material, and you should be ready to test before you know it.

Hope that helps. And welcome to the forums!!!
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Just be ready to spend some money though, because once you get started...these things get kind of addicting, lol
  • Options
    Thanks Hutch!!! thats some good info right there. I will be sure to pass this info on to my soldiers as well.