Using more than one training vendor?

PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
So I've been using INE for quite a while and plan on using them, but I've been giving a lot of thought to checking out Cisco 360's stuff or Narbik's stuff as well. The INE stuff is very difficult and time consuming, but I've been told by some wise folks that it doesn't hurt to get another vendor mixed in to keep you from 'getting used to' the way one vendor words things.

Thoughts / Suggestions? Keep in mind I'm not talking about ditching a vendor for another, but should one be arsed to cram another vendor into the mix?
CCIE - COMPLETED!

Comments

• jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    I used INE for most of my labbing studying, including their CoD's, and first 4 mock labs. But, I attended Narbiks bootcamp, and did Cisco 360 mock labs. I found this a good balance, and got a different perspective from every angle.
  • thadizzythadizzy Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Highly recommended but I cannot recommend Cisco 360 to anyone icon_smile.gif
    Personally I'd go for a mix of INE and IPexperts.
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    It definitely won't hurt, but I don't think it worths the extra time and money. I am using INE and imo their materials are detailed enough. There won't be something in the other vendors' materials which is not mentioned in the INE workbooks and videos.
    Non-native English speaker
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    i use a mixture of INE and 360. INE has the best video series by far and the troubleshooting workbook (Vol4) is great. 360 has the best workbook labs (of the pair) and if you get the proper package has some trouble shooting labs that are identical in format to the CCIE lab (i.e 30 routers,same interface etc) but i would imagine that costs a small fortune. INE's normal workbook labs have too much config reloading and stuff which is a real pain if your not on their rented racks.

one annoying thing about 360 is the use of locklizard DRM which can make it a real pain in the neck

Full Disclosure: I have the complete 360 package from work (i work for Cisco) for nothing but the INE stuff i bought with my own money
  • PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    I was really considering some Cisco 360 stuff as I've gotten a lot of good recommendations for it as well. (From both Cisco and Non Cisco Employees). Only for the fact of giving me a bit different of a 'perspective' as previously mentioned.

INE stuff is pretty fantastic and really hard.. probably far harder than it technically needs to be.. but I tend to be a masochist :)
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Plazma wrote: »
    INE stuff is pretty fantastic and really hard.. probably far harder than it technically needs to be.. but I tend to be a masochist :)

Honestly, that's a major part of the reason I chose INE. I've heard from more than one person that some of their stuff is harder than the real thing. That's what I want. If I can do (and retain) that material, I think that's much better than getting blindsided when I walk into the lab. I want to sit down to the Lab for the first time and go 'well crap, this is easy'.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Honestly, that's a major part of the reason I chose INE. I've heard from more than one person that some of their stuff is harder than the real thing. That's what I want. If I can do (and retain) that material, I think that's much better than getting blindsided when I walk into the lab. I want to sit down to the Lab for the first time and go 'well crap, this is easy'.

I'm looking for that same feeling, but I think it'll be extremely difficult.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    I'm looking for that same feeling, but I think it'll be extremely difficult.

As far as making the lab seem easy in comparison? I don't think so. It's actually a pretty nice confidence boost to be able to look at INE's WB2 difficulty 9 labs and realize that you know how to do the majority of what they're asking, and there's only a few things that make me go 'son of a... i need to study that'. That gives me great deal of confidence.

Right now, I'm shooting myself in the foot with stupid mistakes. I'm either forgetting some small detail, or (more often) doing more configuration than is called for.... configuring it the way I would in real life, which isn't necessarily what they're asking for (perfect example is EtherChannel.... my natural tendency is to configure LACP, and I've caught myself doing that a few times and then went back to read the question to realize they just wanted it forced, not negotiated... oops!)

This stuff honestly isn't that hard, just have to keep at it. Consistency in studying counts for a crap load.
  • thadizzythadizzy Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□

Indeed, the material isn't that hard. It's alot of learning the lab itself to avoid all stupid mistakes. It sure is a stupid lab..
    Each section contains a massive list of requirements, and it's enough to fail just one to get 0 points for that section. That is what makes the lab so difficult.
  • Jacky WJacky W Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are two different styles of CCIE bootcamps: some focus on improving students' technology, such as INE and ipexpert, the other focus on passing the lab exams, such us ccie college and unitek. You must ensure you take the one which is just fit for your need so that you never find yourself losing a whole lot of money taking re-sits. By the way, when choosing a bootcamp to takes prep CCIE training at, always ensure it is permitted by Cisco.
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    When it's my turn to go for the big digits, I'll definitely go for INE as far as videos and books go, and Narbik's boot camp as I've heard so many good things about him and his way of teaching.