certification path advice again !! >< CCNA vs MCITP:EA ???

hi all :)

i'm a 2nd year student of a 3-year-BSc IT course with zero work experience.
i'm interesting in Networking.

i planned to go for MCITP:EA route
i have finished 70-680 & 70-640
i'm not used to with svr 08 & no exp with it and i find difficulties

so, i decided to pause Microsoft for a while & to go for cisco

but, i'm now attending CCNA tution now, i found it interesting

is that a good choice? should i finish the mcitp after ccna ?
or should i just leave it and after ccna , getting a job would be better?

and i like Network security audit job too, but, there's no tution for G2700, CISA etc. in our country ><

need guidelines from my seniors :D
thanks in adv

icon_surprised.gificon_study.gif

Comments

• cisconyccisconyc Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey man,
    I think that if you stay with Microsoft for now you should be fine. Finish Microsoft Certifications. You have passed 2 tests already. Cisco is always there.
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    yep, u're rite, only 3 more to go.
    but, i've already paid for ccna training , it's only around usd 250 though
    nvm, i'll just finish my ccna first
    plus, i'm started liking cisco devices icon_cool.gif
    plus, 70-640 was quite hard for me, i passed it by parrot learning, so i might need time ><

my 2nd thought is just that if i go ccnp path, do i still might need mcitp for futher jobs ?
    icon_rolleyes.gif
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    yep, u're rite, only 3 more to go.
    but, i've already paid for ccna training , it's only around usd 250 though
    nvm, i'll just finish my ccna first
    plus, i'm started liking cisco devices icon_cool.gif
    plus, 70-640 was quite hard for me, i passed it by parrot learning, so i might need time ><

my 2nd thought is just that if i go ccnp path, do i still might need mcitp for futher jobs ?
    icon_rolleyes.gif

Cisco and Microsoft are 2 sides of a different coin. A CCNP will not help you get a job. A CCNP without a few yrs of experience in networking is useless to you. I say pick a focus and go from there. Microsoft work can benefit from CCNA level knowledge, but as a Network Engineer I deal with nothing server related. There's a whole team of server people who do that, just like the team I am on does networking.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    phantasm wrote: »
    Cisco and Microsoft are 2 sides of a different coin. A CCNP will not help you get a job. A CCNP without a few yrs of experience in networking is useless to you. I say pick a focus and go from there. Microsoft work can benefit from CCNA level knowledge, but as a Network Engineer I deal with nothing server related. There's a whole team of server people who do that, just like the team I am on does networking.

I really like this post. Spoken from someone who values experience over certifications. ****I wish more of us thought this way.

+1 rep
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pickup an internship, get experience.

It'll be hard for you to get work without experience with any certification. It can be done, just don't expect it to ever come easy as you need to prove your worth - work ethic for one.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    yep, i need to work too
  • MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    Internships are really easy to get once you have the Certifications, Just tell them you want to be a cable monkey (network job) or a computer re-starter (microsoft job), and bam your hired (well hired at 0.00 an hour) Just prove your competency and you got it.
  • buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i'm not used to with svr 08 & no exp with it and i find difficulties

so, i decided to pause Microsoft for a while & to go for cisco

It is to be expected that you would find it difficult, considering that the MCITP admin tracks are aimed at people who have industry experience dealing with the server and client OSs.

From what you've written it's apparent that you are leaning towards networking so you may well find the CCNA more up your street, although it, like the MCITP exams, isn't going to be easy without any prior experience.
  • johnstegjohnsteg Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ccna is kind of exciting;i think mcitp is more difficult to understand when you don't have any form of networking experience.For me my degree program as a computer scientist prepared me little bit for networking and couple with some practice with friends,though found it difficult to follow up with 70-640;but kind of cool when i jumped over to 642 and every thing began to make sense.consider going back to 642 first before 643 and 647 you will be amazed as to how everything just fits in.
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why not do both?