CCNA: SP (Service Provider)

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I was on cisco learning network today and I found out that they have the CCNA: SP up there. It shows two exams have to be taken and I didn't see the CCNA as a prerequisite (yay??). But there are some CCNA level topics. Each exam costs $250 ($500 for CCNA: SP). I couldn't find any books for it on ciscopress or amazon.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna_service_provider

640-875 SPNGN1
Building Cisco Service Provider Next-Generation Networks, Part 1
Exam Number: 640-875
Associated Certifications: CCNA SP
Duration: 90 minutes (65-75 questions)
Available Languages: English

640-875 SPNGN1 Exam Topics

Exam Description

The 640-875 Building Cisco Service Provider Next-Generation Networks, Part 1 exam is associated with the CCNA SP certification. This exam tests a candidates basic knowledge and skills necessary to support a service provider network. Candidates can prepare for this exam by taking the Building Cisco Service Provider Next-Generation Networks, Part 1 (SPNGN1) course.

Exam Topics

The following topics are general guidelines for the content likely to be included on the Building Cisco Service Provider Next-Generation Networks, Part 1 exam. However, other related topics may also appear on any specific delivery of the exam. In order to better reflect the contents of the exam and for clarity purposes, the guidelines below may change at any time without notice.

IP Networks

Describe the purpose and functions of various network devices (at the core, distribution, and access layers)
Identify the functional components required to meet a given network specification
Describe the OSI and TCP/IP models and their associated protocols to explain how data flows in a network
Describe common network applications and their impact on the network
Interpret network diagrams
Troubleshoot common network problems at layers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 using a layered model approach
Describe differences between LAN and WAN operation and features

IPv4 and IPv6 Addressing

Describe the structure of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
Describe VLSM, CIDR and route summarization concepts
Describe the different types of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
Design an IP subnetting plan based on given requirements

Switched Network Technologies I

Describe bridging concepts and Layer 2 Ethernet frames
Configure basic Spanning Tree operations on Cisco IOS Switches
Interpret the output of various basic show and debug commands to verify the operational status of a Cisco switched network
Configure basic switch security (i.e, port security, securing unused ports)
Describe Ethernet link bundling, LACP, and PAgP and Flex Links

Routed Network Technologies I

Describe classful versus classless routing
Describe routing protocols basics (metrics, IGP versus EGP)
Describe RIPv1, RIPv2, RIPNG
Implement EIGRPv4 and EIGRPv6 on Cisco IOS, IOS-XE and IOS-XR routers
Describe route redistribution
Describe VRF
Describe GRE

IP Services

Configure NAT (IPv4) on Cisco routers
Configure DHCP (IPv4 and IPv6) operations on Cisco routers
Describe ICMPv4 and ICMPv6
Describe DNS

Cisco Operating Systems and Platforms I

Implement basic Cisco IOS, IOS-XE and IOS-XR CLI operations
Implement basic Cisco IOS, IOS-XE and IOS-XR routers configurations

Transport Technologies

Describe SONET and SDH
Describe DWDM, IPoDWDM, and ROADM
Configure 10 Gigabit Ethernet, 40 Gigabit Ethernet, and 100 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces on Cisco routers
Describe Frame Relay
Describe ATM
Describe Metro Ethernet
Describe DSL
Describe T1, T3, E1, E3, and ISDN
Implement PPP encapsulation on Cisco routers serial and POS interfaces
Describe cable (DOCSIS)
Describe the main BRAS and BNG routers functions in IP NGN
Describe various Passive Optical Network (PON) access technologies and FTTx

Security in the Network

Describe Layer 2 security features on Cisco IOS switches
Configure management plane security on Cisco routers and IOS switches
Describe IPsec
Describe control plane security
Configure basic AAA (TACACS+ and RADIUS) services on Cisco routers
Configure routing protocols authentication between Cisco routers
Describe the relationships between users, user groups, tasks groups and task IDs in IOS-XR
Describe common types of network attacks

Network Management

Configure NTP server or client on Cisco routers
Configure IP SLA on Cisco routers
Configure CDP on Cisco routers and IOS switches
Configure SNMP on Cisco routers
Configure NetFlow on Cisco routers
Configure logging to Syslog server on Cisco routers
Describe the Cisco IOS Call-Home feature
Describe Cisco TAC procedure and navigate Cisco support tools (CCO)
Implement management access (SSH, telnet, and out-of-band management design)
Implement SPAN, RSPAN, and ERSPAN
Implement file transfers to manage network devices configurations and images using FTP, SCP, TFTP, SFTP, and RCP

640-878 SPNGN2
Building Cisco Service Provider Next-Generation Networks, Part 2
Exam Number: 640-878
Associated Certifications: CCNA SP
Duration: 90 minutes (65-75 questions)
Available Languages: English

640-878 SPNGN2 Exam Topics

Exam Description

The 640-878 Building Cisco Service Provider Next-Generation Networks, Part 2 exam is associated with the Cisco CCNA Service Provider certification. This exam tests the knowledge and skills that are necessary to implement and support a service provider network. Candidates can prepare for this exam by taking the Building Cisco Service Provider Next-Generation Networks, Part 2 (SPNGN2) course.

Exam Topics

The following topics are general guidelines for the content that is likely to be included on the Building Cisco Service Provider Next-Generation Networks, Part 2 exam. However, other related topics may also appear on any specific delivery of the exam. To better reflect the contents of the exam and for clarity purposes, the guidelines that follow may change at any time without notice.

IP NGN Architecture

Identify the functional components that are required to meet a given network specification
Troubleshoot common network problems at Layers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 using a layered-model approach
Describe the different types of service providers
Describe service provider principal and reference next-generation network (NGN) architecture
Describe the IP address and autonomous system (AS) number allocation process via the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) and Regional Internet Registries (RIRs)

Switched Network Technologies II

Configure enhanced switching technologies (including Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol [RSTP], Multiple Spanning Tree [MST], and Per VLAN Spanning Tree [PVST]) on Cisco IOS Software switches
Describe how VLANs create logically separate networks and the need for routing between them
Configure VLANs on Cisco IOS Software switches
Configure trunking on Cisco IOS Software switches
Configure inter-VLAN routing
Configure Resilient Ethernet Protocol (REP) on Cisco IOS Software switches
Configure queue-in-queue (QinQ) on Cisco IOS Software switches

Routed Network Technologies II

Configure basic single-area Open Shortest Path First version 2 (OSPFv2) and OSPF version 3 (OSPFv3) routing on Cisco routers
Configure basic single-area Intermediate System-to-Intermediate System (IS-IS) routing on Cisco routers
Describe the differences between static versus dynamic routing as well as distance vector versus link-state routing protocol operations
Configure basic Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) routing on Cisco routers
Describe the address family concept on Cisco routers
Describe IPv6 transitioning technologies
Configure First Hop Redundancy Protocol (FHRP) (including Hot Standby Router Protocol [HSRP], Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol [VRRP], and Gateway Load Balancing Protocol [GLBP]) on Cisco routers
Implement access control list (ACL) on Cisco routers
Describe carrier-grade NAT (CGN) and Network Address Translation 64 (NAT64)
Describe Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) functions in the service provider IP NGN
Configure Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) on Cisco routers

Cisco Operating Systems and Platforms II

Manage the Cisco IOS XR configurations and software packages
Describe Cisco IOS XE software packages
Describe Cisco service provider router platforms, their operating system, and their placement in the service provider IP NGN
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There's some good stuff in there. I would like to see overhaul on the CCIP.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SP Ops is hard to get into, there are training classes, but in terms of books - nil.

No self study books.

Doesn't mean you can't do it - just means use White papers and google more often :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Roguetadhg wrote: »
    SP Ops is hard to get into, there are training classes, but in terms of books - nil.

No self study books.

Doesn't mean you can't do it - just means use White papers and google more often :)

SP isn't rocket science. The discipline has grown as networks have become more leveraged. Look at virtualised networks, MP-BGP, TE, MPLS, VPLS, VLL, OTV, Trill. One year immersing yourself in those things and you will be able to keep up with many SP people, just not all :)
    Turgon wrote: »
    SP isn't rocket science. The discipline has grown as networks have become more leveraged. Look at virtualised networks, MP-BGP, TE, MPLS, VPLS, VLL, OTV, Trill. One year immersing yourself in those things and you will be able to keep up with many SP people, just not all :)

Im not saying that it's not possible. I like the "Go this way" instructional than myself digging my heals into VRF and finding MPLS (Which to say I just know the acronym means "Multiprotocol Label Switching"(Don't quote me)). It makes me want to dig into my CCNP books for information about MPLS networks to understand (I think it's in there). Although, learning something different makes me focus on my CCNA topics even more.

"VRF-Lite support on Cat 4500 does not include the Provider Edge MPLS funcitonality. More
    specifically, MPLS label switching and MPLS control plane are not supported in the VRF-Lite
    implementation." VPN Routing and Forwarding.

I learned something, thanks to this post. I need to stop visiting this forum, and focus on getting this CCNA cert out of the way so I can open the flood gates of more informations, fun, excitement. There will be much fun and excitement.

When I see it again, I'll be like "oh. Ooooh! VPN Routing and Forwarding. Nice to see you again, Sir!" ...I need less caffeine.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Im not saying that it's not possible. I like the "Go this way" instructional than myself digging my heals into VRF and finding MPLS (Which to say I just know the acronym means "Multiprotocol Label Switching"(Don't quote me)). It makes me want to dig into my CCNP books for information about MPLS networks to understand (I think it's in there). Although, learning something different makes me focus on my CCNA topics even more.

"VRF-Lite support on Cat 4500 does not include the Provider Edge MPLS funcitonality. More
    specifically, MPLS label switching and MPLS control plane are not supported in the VRF-Lite
    implementation." VPN Routing and Forwarding.

I learned something, thanks to this post. I need to stop visiting this forum, and focus on getting this CCNA cert out of the way so I can open the flood gates of more informations, fun, excitement. There will be much fun and excitement.

When I see it again, I'll be like "oh. Ooooh! VPN Routing and Forwarding. Nice to see you again, Sir!" ...I need less caffeine.

hehehe..enjoy the caffeine. The way to get SP is to read, but mostly to configure. Once you understand the flexibility of address-families you wont go back to one horrible big routing table. SP is about doing things in a very simple way, leveraging technologies that make that possible. Like working with routers that have the memory, and tagging routes with identifiers so the router knows that this route is for routing table x and this route is for routing table y. Same for the layer 2 things, VPLS, VLL, AToM, Trill etc :)
  • jude56gjude56g Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So are there still no Cisco Press materials for this?? I would enjoy this track!!
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    This track looks really interesting - might be a bit hard for many people to get any real world practice on IOS-XR and XE devices though.
    lrb wrote: »
    This track looks really interesting - might be a bit hard for many people to get any real world practice on IOS-XR and XE devices though.

That's my primary concern. I have ASR9ks in my network, but they are production.. I'm not sure what the smallest (cheapest) box is that runs XR, but I'm guessing they are pretty steep..
  • alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
    Yeah this does sound really good. I always thought that I'd like to work for a ISP when I finish up the ccna. I'm sure u could get in using the ccna but this would seal the deal surely? How come this seems difficult to get material on though? No videos or books to study from?
    Classes. Read up on exam objectives. No books and no Videos.

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I suppose its a bit like the Hosting Provider Exams from Microsoft - you can't get material for them - you just have to know it :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    jude56g wrote: »
    That's my primary concern. I have ASR9ks in my network, but they are production.. I'm not sure what the smallest (cheapest) box is that runs XR, but I'm guessing they are pretty steep..

i know you can get ASR1k's. I'm not sure about the pricing though. Also I think you can run IOS-XR/XE in GNS3.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    It makes me want to dig into my CCNP books for information about MPLS networks to understand (I think it's in there).

Rogue,
    I don't think there is too much about MPLS in the CCNP books. They mention it in the ROUTE OCG once or twice, but they say it is out of the scope of the exam. You really need to pick up the MPLS Fundamentals book to get some good info.
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    Rogue,
    I don't think there is too much about MPLS in the CCNP books. They mention it in the ROUTE OCG once or twice, but they say it is out of the scope of the exam. You really need to pick up the MPLS Fundamentals book to get some good info.

yeah. I've looked at MPLS at the ROUTE books. This was a old thread, I didn't have my CCNA yet, so I didn't want to go into the CCNP book.

The most i've seen mentioned so far are related to neighborships for EIGRP and OSPF with the PE router and CE router. Otherwise, I haven't seen much else about it. Given i've been busy at work and at home, im only at Chapter 6 icon_sad.gif.

• craigaaroncraigaaron Member Posts: 132
    has anyone in this forum attempted this?
    Currently Studying: CCNP Security
    300-206 - Completed 04-Jul-2014
    300-209 - Completed 09-May-2017
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    dead_p00l wrote: »
    i know you can get ASR1k's. I'm not sure about the pricing though. Also I think you can run IOS-XR/XE in GNS3.

An ASR1K is still not going to be cheap when you consider how much most people pay for 2600 and 2800 series routers on ebay.
    yeah. I've looked at MPLS at the ROUTE books. This was a old thread, I didn't have my CCNA yet, so I didn't want to go into the CCNP book.

The most i've seen mentioned so far are related to neighborships for EIGRP and OSPF with the PE router and CE router. Otherwise, I haven't seen much else about it. Given i've been busy at work and at home, im only at Chapter 6 icon_sad.gif.

I wouldn't worry at all about MPLS for the CCNP. MPLS and BGP are pretty damn big topics, hence why there are two exams dedicated to them. PE-CE routing is also a pretty large topic in the MPLS exam from memory as it covers RIP, EIGRP, and OSPF.
  • epicdeanepicdean Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work for an ISP and currently studying for CCNA. And was thinking of going for this instead of CCNA but to tell you truth get ccna and go CCIP. You will get more cert out of it
    epicdean wrote: »
    I work for an ISP and currently studying for CCNA. And was thinking of going for this instead of CCNA but to tell you truth get ccna and go CCIP. You will get more cert out of it

I'm in the same boat (taking ICND2 next month & work for ISP) but the MPLS & BGP topics in the SP track would really help with my job. That being said, I still plan to go CCNP, then CCIP.
    The only thing I could find as far as studying is to attend classes.

Global Learning Locator / Direct link to the school website: http://www.t2000inc.com/training/sspo.html

Jun 11 - Jun 15: Supporting Cisco Service Provider IP NGN Operations (SSPO) V1.

And also a study group... but there's minimal information besides
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/184537#184537

Apparently ITILv3 is a large part of the certification.

Wrong Exam (SP Ops)... Don't mind me...