Some thoughts...

RuosteRuoste Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all.

I am 23 years old student from Finland, and I'm currently studying in a polytechnic. Expepted graduating is '06 May.
My scholarly thesis is server virtualization which one interest me a lot in a future.

I have 6 months technical support job experience and that was ok.

I am thinking helpdesk/technical support job in Ireland/England, year or two. I wanna learn to speak english better than now, and especially in Ireland is a lot of multilingual helpdesk jobs. There can do certifications too, and that would be great benefit. I'm not newbie with computers, but I'm not expert either.

Well, I don't exactly know which one to specialize in IT world.. I don't like programming, maybe something like network - server based..

Currently I am thinking to order some MCDST and virtualization book and start learning. Maybe MCDST certificate would be best for me first..future.

Well let's see how things will go, I don't wanna plan too much.

Sorry bad english :/

Well, say something, your thoughts

Comments

• gbhpboygbhpboy Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you write very good english, it's a ton better than my Finnish.

we transferred our help desk to Dublin earlier this year, and have a lot of ties with our Irish operation. You're right IT appears to be booming in Dublin, it's a pretty cool city to. I've been there a couple of times and the babes look quite nice too. :D

Mind you when you get to my age, even their mums look good. icon_lol.gif
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you have a very clear goal for your career in IT which is good. Virtual servers are becoming a hot skill to have as business try to cut costs and rationalise their server usage.

Your best bet is to start off in Help Desk like you say, get a feel for IT world and learn how to communicate on varying levels within a business (which Help Desk is very good for). Keep on a path to MCSA (forget MCDST) and start getting very familiar with Virtual Servers whether it be MS Virtual Server or VMware by setting up a home lab.
  • scot_doneckerscot_donecker Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Ruoste, if your wanting to become a help desk person, then the MCDST will help verify that you have skills necessary for that position.

But if you want to do like Strauchr said and become an MCSA, then I would suggest starting your path with the Windows XP Profesional exam (70-270). This exam will prepare you to know the most about Windows client operating systems (the bulk of your help desk calls), and will also give you the Microsoft Certified Profesional designation (which you wont get with MCDST).

Good luck man,
    -Scot
    "If the answer was never to look to yourself, then how can you expect to find it anywhere else" -Eyedea
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    and will also give you the Microsoft Certified Profesional designation (which you wont get with MCDST).
    Passing any MS exam will make you a MCP, including one of the MCDST exams.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The advice above are all very good to start with. If you want to get into help desk I think MCDST would be a good start, but as mentioned the MCSA will hold more value down the road.
    But if you want to do like Strauchr said and become an MCSA, then I would suggest starting your path with the Windows XP Profesional exam (70-270). This exam will prepare you to know the most about Windows client operating systems (the bulk of your help desk calls), and will also give you the Microsoft Certified Profesional designation (which you wont get with MCDST).

Not true, both the 271 and 272 exams will give you the MCP designation.
  • RuosteRuoste Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gbhpboy wrote:
    we transferred our help desk to Dublin earlier this year, and have a lot of ties with our Irish operation. You're right IT appears to be booming in Dublin, it's a pretty cool city to. I've been there a couple of times and the babes look quite nice too. :D
    Heh, Dublin or Cork. I have heard that Galway is nice city too.
    strauchr wrote:
    Sounds like you have a very clear goal for your career in IT which is good. Virtual servers are becoming a hot skill to have as business try to cut costs and rationalise their server usage.

Your best bet is to start off in Help Desk like you say, get a feel for IT world and learn how to communicate on varying levels within a business (which Help Desk is very good for). Keep on a path to MCSA (forget MCDST) and start getting very familiar with Virtual Servers whether it be MS Virtual Server or VMware by setting up a home lab.

Yes, virtualization seems to be hot nowadays, and I try to look couple of companies in Finland and ask if they are interested, it's hard because Finland is small country and if you don't know someone..but I'll try.
    I have couple of PC's and I have used VMware Workstation and GSX Server, but only some OS install and other little stuff. Nothing special.

Well, it's good to start with helpdesk position.. and that is firstly ok. Of course I don't want to be several years in helpdesk.

Maybe I start looking at 70-270 then. This one is probably good book? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735621527/qid=1133365908/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-5888719-4763938?n=507846&s=books&v=glance
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ruoste wrote:

Heh, Dublin or Cork. I have heard that Galway is nice city too.

I'm a Dubliner and i would recommend Galway to live, but i'm not sure about
    what the work situation is like there.Dublin for sure has plenty of work available, but for quality of life your better off in one of the smaller cities like Cork or Galway.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • RuosteRuoste Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    I'm a Dubliner and i would recommend Galway to live, but i'm not sure about
    what the work situation is like there.Dublin for sure has plenty of work available, but for quality of life your better off in one of the smaller cities like Cork or Galway.
    Yuo're right. Dublin and Cork seems to have a lot of multilingual jobs, but Galway only a few.