Options

Juniper J2300 Router Help!

Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
First off thank you to all who contribute to this forum!

Now on to the topic at hand!

I have recently stumbled upon a J2300 router for VERY cheap. I verified that it boots, and gives console output. It is in great physical and operational condition. However, there was one issue. It did not come with a Compact Flash disk.

Through my employer, I have access to jinstall images, and can use one for this device in a lab environment. My question is, do these jinstall images work on the J platform? Im worried theyre only for the M and T series routers. Also, how would I go about getting it installed on compact flash? Should I boot the card in an Olive and do the base install that way? Then pop the card into the J2300? I tried booting Mini BSD 4.4 off of CF last night in the J2300 with no avail. My original plan was to boot into FreeBSD then do the pkg add process for the jinstall package on the J2300.

Does anyone have any experience restoring JUNOS to CF card? Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU

Comments

• Options
    dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    Here's the link to JUNOS recommended versions by platform. Juniper Networks - JTAC Recommended Junos Software Versions - Knowledge Base As for restoring to a CF card I have not had to do that in a long time. You should be able to find the procedure on the Juniper site as well.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    You'll need to use the install media coupled with a DD imaging utility for this. Looking at the Juniper support website I can see install media for J series routers for 9.3, 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2. However, you need to go with the install media for 9.3 since after that, only install media with enhanced services is available, and a J2300 cannot do enhanced services. You'll also need to select the install media for the size of CF you have. Below are the links to the 9.3 install media you can use with the corresponding CF sizes.

CF = 1024 MB https://download.juniper.net/software/junos-export/9.3R4.4/junos-jseries-9.3R4.4-export-cf1024.gz
    CF = 512 MB https://download.juniper.net/software/junos-export/9.3R4.4/junos-jseries-9.3R4.4-export-cf512.gz
    CF = 256 MB https://download.juniper.net/software/junos-export/9.3R4.4/junos-jseries-9.3R4.4-export-cf256.gz

Enjoy!
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    Ive got junos-jseries-9.3r4.4-domestic.tgz as the jseries image. I unfortunately dont have many Jseries images, just M and T series stuff. the Jseries image I have does not specify a CF size. Does that mean I can try it on a few sizes? Ive got 256MB, 512MB 1GB and 2GB flash cards handy
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
  • Options
    The J series image that you have will only work if you are upgrading a router that already has Junos on it. You'll have to use the J series install media to flash the CF. It's not possible to do this by using the regular install package.

-Bender
  • Options
    Well crap.... looks like Im left hunting for the install images.....

Or Ill see if our Juniper account has access to those images...as of now.I do not.

Thanks for the clarification!
  • Options
    NP, and good luck getting a hold of the install image.

-Bender