bandwidth limit

oxzganoxzgan Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
consider access point on my office connected to Router and i am getting 2 mbps internet connection.

i have many vlans such as OFFICE , STUDENT etc i want 1 Mbps connection to OFFICE vlan and for Student i i just need 54kbps connection

My primary intension is To get High bandwidth for OFFICE users and,,,
if office users getting 2 Mbps connection fully i am oky, But student must limit with 54 kpbs how to do this , is it with QOS , ratelimit or policing or can we do simply by Bandwidth command ?icon_arrow.gif

Comments

• thadizzythadizzy Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    QoS or ratelimiting. The bandwidth command is used for internal calculations only and not used for limiting bandwidth at all. Rate-limiting is a legacy technique that is far more limited than MQC based QoS.
    Cisco IOS Quality of Service Solutions Configuration Guide, Release 12.4* [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.4 Mainline] - Cisco Systems is a good reference how to configure this.

If you don't know the MQC framework it is probably easier in your case to implement rate-limiting since the syntax is easier. This is easy to implement since all your student traffic comes from separate VLANs so classification is easily done with an ACL.
    A good reference how to configure rate-limiting (CAR) is Cisco IOS Release 12.0 Quality of Service Solutions Configuration Guide - Configuring Committed Access Rate - Cisco Systems

How fast is the physical connection to the ISP? If it is faster than 2Mbps you run into a different kind of issues where QoS policys never kicks in because the interface is never concidered full. If I'm not mistaken rate-limiting would be the way to go in that sceonario because it is always 'active'.
  • oxzganoxzgan Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thadizzy wrote: »

How fast is the physical connection to the ISP? If it is faster than 2Mbps you run into a different kind of issues where QoS policys never kicks in because the interface is never concidered full. If I'm not mistaken rate-limiting would be the way to go in that sceonario because it is always 'active'.

yes physical connection more than 2mps speed , it s using fast ethernet cable which is 100 mbps, can any one provde a sample configuration?
    interface S0/0
    rate-limit input access-group 101 200000 37500 37500 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
    ip address a.b.c.d 255.255.255.252
    rate-limit output access-group 101 200000 37500 37500 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

access-list 101 permit ip 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255

Now that example makes no sense applying same ACL for both incoming and outgoing but you get the idea.
    Look here for finding out good burst values https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-7874
    Let me explain more about the issue
    router fa0/0 connecting to Internet
    Router fa0/1 connecting with switch and Switch have 2 or more vlans can say Vlan student and vlan office .

Internet connection speed is 8 mbps
    and can say using fast ethernet cable which is 100 mpbs speed .

i want 6 mpbs internet speed for Vlan office and 1 mpbs for Vlan Student.
    and rest 1 mbps for other vlans

I think it is possible by this way below

Created access list for vlan office and student
    access list 100 for office
    access list 101 for student vlan

Then
    class-map office
    match ip address 100

class-map student
    match ip address 101

Policy-map CHILD
    class Office
    bandwidth percent 75

class Student
    bandwidth percent 12

class class-default
    bandsidth percent 12

policy-map PARENT
    class class-default
    police 8000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
    service-policy CHILD

int fa0/1( port which is connecting router and switch )
    service-policy output PARENT

ANything wrong with this config? i done parent policy map for limiting bandwidth to 8 Mbps and child policy map for limiting bandwidth for VLANs.
    oxzgan wrote: »
    Let me explain more about the issue router fa0/0 connecting to Internet Router fa0/1 connecting with switch and Switch have 2 or more vlans can say Vlan student and vlan office .Internet connection speed is 8 mbpsand can say using fast ethernet cable which is 100 mpbs speed .i want 6 mpbs internet speed for Vlan office and 1 mpbs for Vlan Student.and rest 1 mbps for other vlans I think it is possible by this way belowCreated access list for vlan office and student access list 100 for office access list 101 for student vlanThen class-map officematch ip address 100class-map student match ip address 101Policy-map CHILDclass Office bandwidth percent 75 class Student bandwidth percent 12class class-default bandsidth percent 12policy-map PARENTclass class-defaultpolice 8000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action dropservice-policy CHILDint fa0/1( port which is connecting router and switch )service-policy output PARENTANything wrong with this config? i done parent policy map for limiting bandwidth to 8 Mbps and child policy map for limiting bandwidth for VLANs.
    The problem is the service policy will only kick in when the physical link becomes congested. Since it is a 100mbit physical link it will not become congested with 8Mbit traffic.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The problem is the service policy will only kick in when the physical link becomes congested.

Important point to remember!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The problem is the service policy will only kick in when the physical link becomes congested. Since it is a 100mbit physical link it will not become congested with 8Mbit traffic.
    Thats what the nested policy takes care of.To the OP, on your nested policy I would shape the child class and inside of there police the student down.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.

So it means My policy map will work only when Physical link get congested?i mean as per my policymap defined i assigned 6mbps to office vlan and 1 mbps to student vlan , so this will work only if physical link get congested ?
    I defined police command under PARENT policy map, wont this help?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    oxzgan wrote: »
    So it means My policy map will work only when Physical link get congested?i mean as per my policymap defined i assigned 6mbps to office vlan and 1 mbps to student vlan , so this will work only if physical link get congested ?
    I defined police command under PARENT policy map, wont this help?

Yes that will help, but I'm not sure if policing in the parent class is the best idea. You basically want this shaper there just to make your child map kick in and worry about the bandwidth policing at this level.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.