Passed My CCNP switch Today

kaytauruskaytaurus Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all, I passed my CCNP switch today.. I was a difficult one. My advice to you all going after the CCNP track is to nail the Router 642 902 first before sitting for the switch exams... At least you gonna get comfortable with some of the config. questions.Get prepared because cisco is really prepared.

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations! You are one step closer to CCNP. :)
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations on passing a VERY tough exam.
    Once I passed that one, the rest of the CCNP was a breeze.
    Good luck on the rest!
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kaytaurus wrote: »
    Hi all, I passed my CCNP switch today.. I was a difficult one. My advice to you all going after the CCNP track is to nail the Router 642 902 first before sitting for the switch exams... At least you gonna get comfortable with some of the config. questions.Get prepared because cisco is really prepared.

Congrats! I've heard it was tough....what did you use to prepare and what was the most helpful?
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Congrats!!

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Great going!!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • 416_guy416_guy Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awsome congrats!

Do you have any on the job experience? Which were the toughest subjects in your opinion?
  • kaytauruskaytaurus Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your well wishes. I dont really have any job experience.. Actually, i am a postgraduate student in the computer Engineering. The materials i used include: 1. CCNP SWITCH 642-813 Foundation Learning Guide2. CCNP.SWITCH.642.813 Official Certification Guide ( official cisco press )3. CCNP SWITCH Lab Manual (cisco press )4. CBT Nugget video and for the practicals, used GNS3 .. I must say i could do with with the GNS3 for switch configuation.. IT IS REALLY REALLY REALLY LIMITED... can not simulate MST or PVLAN just to say the least. The command outputs in the text books togther with a pencil and paper saved the day . I would not advice that :p I difficult time i hard was with VACLS. The books really help... read it over and over till all the concept settle firmly. I hope the route 642 902 does trouble me that much.Any idea as to how to tackle the route 642 902 exams. Cheers.
    Thanks for your well wishes. I dont really have any job experience.. Actually, i am a postgraduate student in the computer Engineering. The materials i used include: 1. CCNP SWITCH 642-813 Foundation Learning Guide2. CCNP.SWITCH.642.813 Official Certification Guide ( official cisco press )3. CCNP SWITCH Lab Manual (cisco press )4. CBT Nugget video and for the practicals, used GNS3 .. I must say i could do with with the GNS3 for switch configuation.. IT IS REALLY REALLY REALLY LIMITED... can not simulate MST or PVLAN just to say the least. The command outputs in the text books togther with a pencil and paper saved the day . I would not advice that :p I difficult time i hard was with VACLS.. The books really help... read it over and over till all the concept settle firmly. I hope the route 642 902 does trouble me that much.Any idea as to how to tackle the route 642 902 exams. Cheers.
    I must say i could not do much with the GNS3 for switch configuations
  • 416_guy416_guy Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your well wishes. I dont really have any job experience.. Actually, i am a postgraduate student in the computer Engineering. The materials i used include: 1. CCNP SWITCH 642-813 Foundation Learning Guide2. CCNP.SWITCH.642.813 Official Certification Guide ( official cisco press )3. CCNP SWITCH Lab Manual (cisco press )4. CBT Nugget video and for the practicals, used GNS3 .. I must say i could do with with the GNS3 for switch configuation.. IT IS REALLY REALLY REALLY LIMITED... can not simulate MST or PVLAN just to say the least. The command outputs in the text books togther with a pencil and paper saved the day . I would not advice that :p I difficult time i hard was with VACLS.. The books really help... read it over and over till all the concept settle firmly. I hope the route 642 902 does trouble me that much.Any idea as to how to tackle the route 642 902 exams. Cheers.

Sounds like I'm in a similar situation, except I somewhat have gears at home to practice with. How often and how long per day did you study? From start to finish how much time did it take you to feel comfortable to take the exam?
    I cant tell how many hours i did study in all. I sometimes stayed for days without touching a CCNP book or material . I registered for the exams 3 week after i had started studying and sat for it in the 6th week ( A measure to plan and focus harder on the exams ) . I postponed the exams 3 or 4 times until i was ready. Wish you all the best of luck.. you can make it.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Buying the exam is the kick in the pants that we all need sometime. I know that if I schedule a test for a month out, I'll work my arse off to study hard. Good thing for rescheduling :)

You passed the SWITCH exam with just the GNS3. That's rough, knowing the limitation. I can't get around the differences of learning the right way, and then there's the GNS3 way to do it. I'd rather learn the one way, do it well and not fight the emulator. For routing though, can't be beat :)

Congratulations!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63