Free Cisco Rack Access For Techexams users [update]

wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
Free Cisco Rack time exclusive for Techexams users like yourselves

UPDATED NEWS - Site Back Online

The Sql database has been corrupted on the Cisco-engineer.com website, along with the backup of the it.

what does this mean?

This means the old site that everyone has been using has become damaged and unrecoverable, if you created an account before April 2007 its gone. icon_cry.gif

The good news:

I have moved providers and created a new site the direct url is Cisco-engineer.com/rack or click the link from the main splash page.

The rack remains free and lots of booking slots available,

for you guys looking at CCIE the rack is fully complaint with internetworkingexpert version 3 lab book, and I have a 3560 for those of you worried about the difference between the 3560 and the 3550.

It now has a total of 5 switches 1x3560 1x3550 2x 3750 1x2950.

The bad news:

All WEBSITE accounts have been lost, so to use the website you will need to sign up again (my apologies to everyone)

My Thanks to Webmaster for letting me use the forum to get this message out.
Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Just thought Id revist this very old topic! as I finally got it working and I had a few PMs asking me if I found out to tell them

To host a lab you need a cisco 2509,10,11 or 12 terminal servers

need one or 2 octal cables and connect them to all your other equipement, this allows you to console into them all at once

Then setup simialar to

https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2004-July/011398.html

Now when you telenet to the the 2511 it will give you a menu allowing you to console to any of the deivces specified.

If you dont have a static IP from your ISP not a problem, signup up for a free no-ip.com domain, then install the Dynamic DNS client on an old machine, leave it running.
    In your broadband router set it to forward all incoming port 23 requests to your router, and voila an online lab for everyone to use.

Im just playing around with the final setup and will be offering it free to people one techexams (with Johan permission ofcourse) would anyone be intested?

Lad contains
    1XCisco 2511 (Temrinal Server)
    2X3640
    4x3620
    1x2611XM
    1x2610
    1x2612
    1x2521
    1x2520
    1x2501
    1x2504
    1x3560
    2x2950
    1xCisco Pix 520 6.3
  • Skywalker_Skywalker_ Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I just started preparing for CCNA exam and will be interested to have access to a switch and a router or two. :)

Thanks
    Not a problem m8, I have just bought a rack and am going to rack mount it all, once thats done I will be offering it out for free, as you asked first I will let you have access first, should be in 3-4 days

lab layout is www.cisco-engineer.com/rack.html
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    That's really great. I'm glad to see you're offering this for free, it will really help a lot of people out, I'm sure.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    wildfire wrote:
    Im just playing around with the final setup and will be offering it free to people one techexams (with Johan permission ofcourse) would anyone be intested?
    Permission granted. please contact me by PM for details.

That's really great indeed. You got a very complete lab, and I read you even have an ISDN sim coming icon_thumright.gif

If you plan to offer this for some time, perhaps we should team up and write some TechLabs / a case study specifically for your lab. That's a lot of branch offices you have there. ;)

This a great Christmas gift for our members, so thanks for choosing us to share your lab with.

Currently checking some local ebay and ebay-like sites for a 2509-12, no luck yet, but if I do find one, I'll put it online as well together with my two 2501 routers. Not much compared to your collection but it will allow for some basic practice. Thanks again for the link!
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    Wildfire, book me right after Skywalker. icon_wink.gif
    Ok, just revisiting this old topic, Ive been away in Oman so Ive had no chance to do anything with it untill now. Its finally up and running, so need a few peeps to help me do some beta testing before I open the rack up for everyones use.
    *bump*

I expected this to become one of the longest topic in our forums.

Guys... Wildfire is offering a free online lab access to TechExams.net members. And not just any lab, but a rather complete one. He's even working on adding an ISDN sim - most people don't have the luxury of practicing ISDN... regardless, I think this is already a golden opportunity for anyone preparig for Cisco certs.

The amount of equipment may seem a bit overwhelming at first, but you won't need to (re-)configure them all. And Wildfire set up a pretty cool way to access the devices from a menu. Including a 2950 switch, which we all want and need, but most of us don't have. icon_wink.gif

I had the pleasure of trying some things out a while ago and it really works great, and fast icon_cool.gif
    Cheers Johan,

ISDN sim is now added. Also have added a frame relay switch and about to install another Cisco 3620 this weekend. I have also added two basic labs for people just beginning their climb on the Cisco mountain.
    I am in the process of writing two CCNA labs (RIP and Access lists) I will also be producing an EIGRP two part lab (Part 1 CCNA Part 2 BSCI)

Check out the link for the rack layout

http://cisco-engineer.com/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=36

Thanks
  • AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    It's awesome to say the least.
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    What, no PIX? /grin
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • jelexyjelexy Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would love to have such a great apportunity. please include my name on the waiting list.

jelexy
  • yang11yang11 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It will be wonderful if I can do some free lab.

cheers
    No waiting list guys just click on the link below in my sig and sign up for free. Lots of booking slots are still free.
  • ciscogeraldciscogerald Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just signed up, doesn't look like many people booking time, that's ok I can use all the time I can get. The wife won't let me buy any toys until I get a new job :)

Do you take donations?
  • ciscogeraldciscogerald Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanx Wild, We all appreciate you doing this for us. PM me if you take donations, every little bit helps :)

Gerald
  • darkmagicdarkmagic Member Posts: 127
    WOW, It is really hard to beleive, good things seldom come for free.

I still cannot beleive although i have booked a couple of time clots for myself, but i am still wanting to beleive it, waiting for the good time to come soon

Thanx "wild", thanx a ton, u rock ...
    321hahaha.jpg
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the free rack access! It was a great help when I was fighting with the Boson NetSim to verify that I did know what I was doing. Working hands on with the real thing can't be beat!

Your rack helped me get my CCNA and CCNP and inspired me to start building my own home lab. Now I'm hooked on this Cisco stuff -- got the CCDA and take ARCH for the CCDP on Monday. I then start work on the CCSP.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Are you still planning on adding the PIX?

Have added a pix 520, havent updated the diagrams etc yet. Will update diagrams and photos etc tommorow! nice pic btw
  • JiggsawwJiggsaww Member Posts: 195
    Hey is it 2 late to sign up icon_lol.gif
    of course not, booking has been busy last few weeks but this weekend is almost completely free so go to the site and sign up
    kool thanks..........i already emailed for a username and password.......should i get a reply after it has been created?
  • happy420goluckyhappy420golucky Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey I just wanted to give a shout out and say that hosting this rack is fricking aweshoom :). Right now I have two 2621's and a 3640 to work on at my house, but I really need to get into STP, VTP. So again thanks I have registered and set my time up. So we will see how it goes tomorrow!
    Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around.
    yes Jiggsaww you should have got a confirmation email, sometimes these take upto 48 hours, all accounts on the terminal server and RADIUS are created manutally I tried making a script to extrapilate (is that spelt right??) the information but it was a complete failure!.

If you havent got your email, make sure that it hasnt gone to your SPAM box or your mail box isnt full. After 48 hours they are created anyway so with or without your email you should be able to log on.
    kool thanks i got the email.......with try loggin in tommorow God's willing
    I have had some complaints people have been unable to log on properly, thankfully this issue has been resolved.

Also I thought I would take this oppertunity to notify everyone about to some pretty exciting updates recently.

1. The rack has had a Cisco 3640 running 12.4 added
    2. The rack has had a 2611XM running advanced enterprise service 12.4 added
    3. The rack has had a layer 3 switch added (3560)
    4. All the remaining 2500's have had the IOS updated to include IPv6 Support
    5. The layout has been redesigned and is now compatible with the internetworkingexpert.com labs.

http://www.cisco-engineer.com/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=36

Remebmer this is free to use on the weekends! - Time is GMT(UTC)

If people want to use it weektime there's a small charge.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Graham I love your web site and the pictures that you have there. Obviously you have put a lot of work into it. However something has puzzled me since you installed it. Is there a reason the PIX is upside down? Just curious; things like that grate on the curiosity. Oh course if it was me I would have done it just to make people wonder; maybe we are of like minds. :)
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
    HAHAHA
    Well having it upside increases its performance with VPN - J/K

no nothing some complex, simply put its a big beast and the power is at the back and not the front, before I installed the PIX I mounted the power strip down the back right, the only way to fit the damm thing in was to flip it over. Either that or rip the whole thing out, move the strip, by new longer power cords and re-mount!.

Ive moved property now though and dont have a garage so there isnt room for the 19" rack, it now lives on a table stacked, I shall have to take some new pics and upload them.
    UPDATED NEWS -

The Sql database has been corrupted on the Cisco-engineer.com website, along with the backup of the it

what does this mean?

This means the old site that everyone has been using has become damaged and unrecoverable,

The good news

I have moved providers and created a new site the direct url is Cisco-engineer.com/rack or click the link from the main splash page.

The rack remains free and lots of booking slots available,

for you guys looking at CCIE the rack is fully complaint with internetworkingexpert version 3 lab book, and I have a 3560 for those of you worried about the difference between the 3560 and the 3500.

It now has a total of 4 switches 1x3560 1x3550 2x2950.

The bad news

All WEBSITE accounts have been lost, so to use the website you will need to sign up again (my apologies to everyone)

Your physical rack account still remains valid as this is held on a AAA server so if you used the rack username request form there is no need to re-apply

My Thanks to Webmaster for letting me use the forum to get this message out
    I'm sure nobody here will mind re-registering for access. I sure don't. icon_cool.gif