CCNA to CCIE

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
With the release of CCIE: Data Center (Data Center Track - CCIE - Cisco Systems) and working with things such as UCS/Storage/Virtualization - this has really sparked my interest. (As well as getting sick of the same 'ol same 'ol with Microsoft/Systems Administration.)

So, just out of curiosity how long did it take you to go from CCNA to CCIE and how did you start your journey, etc.

Comments

• jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I passed my CCNA in 10/2007. I passed 3/4 of my CCNP (BSCI, BCMSN, ISCW) in 2008 (took me 10 months for those 3 tests) and finished it in 2010 (ONT with 3 months of studying). My journey started with a CCNA course at New Horizons and then continued on with a lot of reading/labbing/work experience/and INE. I was a direct report to a CCIE with 10 years experience for several years of my journey and he helped me develop a strong foundation in networking. I'm now a lead network engineer for a large, multisite insurance company and it has really opened my eyes. I'm estimating completion of the CCIE by 12/2012 or 1/2013 and I started CCIE studies 7/2011. Good luck on your journey and be prepared to dedicate A LOT of time.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • thadizzythadizzy Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Given I had fairly good network skills before:

I took my CCNA April 2009, CCNP February 2010, CCIP June 2010. Did CCIE studies June->Dec and went for my first lab attempt in early December 2010. Was quite far away from passing. Spend the christmas holiday and weekends studying extremely hard, had my second attempt in late Jan/early Feb.. cannot remember. Was *really* close to passing, so close I was sure I had passed the lab when I handed it in. But I did not.

Did only moderate studying for the third lab attempt in April and passed with ease.

I think my path is the typical one. I did this while working fulltime but to be fair I did get quite alot of paid courses from my employee and also did some CCIE labbing in workhours. The big chunk of time was sparetime though.
  • BrohamBroham Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you know, The data center ccie might be the most serious one of them all. A vpc issue on a nexus switch at work took 5 days to fix with 2 sr. engineers. This exam highlights it as 1 line, which needs to be fixed immediately. LMAO. What a demon of an exam this is. Just studying for it alone will make you better than 80 percent of the network engineers out there using datacenter technologies
    Huh VPC isn't very complicated. Why bring that up?
    The datacenter CCIE is focus alot on technologies outside of networking. The networking part isn't very tricky.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're implying "Do I need to get my CCNA and CCNP to get my CCIE: DC. It's not a requirement. If you have the money, you can take the test when it comes out in September.

Do you think they'll absorb the IE:SAN into IE: DC? As it has the Cisco Storage stuff already in as an Exam Topic.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    If you're implying "Do I need to get my CCNA and CCNP to get my CCIE: DC. It's not a requirement. If you have the money, you can take the test when it comes out in September.

Do you think they'll absorb the IE:SAN into IE: DC? As it has the Cisco Storage stuff already in as an Exam Topic.

I think they may do just that, seems a bit redundant IMO. I hope to do CCNA/Start CCNP this year.
    Roguetadhg wrote: »

They said they would do just that at Cisco Live in Las Vegas.
    you're right. I'm just saying that there is quite a bit of topics involved. The UCS solution and familiarity with nxos is key judging from the objectives. ALso if you don't have hands on ability with the 5548 and other nexus switches how can you simulate this? Ebay prices are too much at the moment. any ideas?
    Broham wrote: »
    you're right. I'm just saying that there is quite a bit of topics involved. The UCS solution and familiarity with nxos is key judging from the objectives. ALso if you don't have hands on ability with the 5548 and other nexus switches how can you simulate this? Ebay prices are too much at the moment. any ideas?

None at the moment. My previous employer I was able to get my hands on these technologies everyday - unfortunately I relocated too far to commute to that position. icon_sad.gif
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're worried about prices:
    1. Ask work to help.
    2. Take a loan
    3. Sell Lemonaid.
    4. Meet people who are in the same boat, group purchase the items.
    5. Rent it from someone.
    6. Savings account?
    7. Get a different job
    8. Loan for a company.
    9. Slot machines.
    10. Seconrd/third job.
    11. Fund Raiser - for yourself.

Prices are expensive. Hell, i'll admit I haven't been able to get my own equipment :P But none of those are an option so I'm up a creek without a paddle. However, I plan on cutting bills soon, so i'll have spare money (See #6) soon.

My point - There's an option, always an option. Just need to find a way.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

work really is the best option here no doubt. The money for this equipment is beyond 2-11 unless I really sell a lot of lemons or have a tv phone a thon. ccie r and s is cheap compared to this
    Cisco UCS Chassis and a few blades is SUPER pricey! So maybe they'll come out with a simulator for UCS, that'd be great.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Check out UCSPE if you haven't already. It will let you get familiar with it but it won't do everything. Runs on VMware.

As for building a home lab, yeah GL. Unless you're a partner that works in building these types of environments or you have this stuff at work you're going to be hard pressed to get the requisite knowledge. Firefly will probably have a lab up soon I'm sure.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    vCole wrote: »
    Cisco UCS Chassis and a few blades is SUPER pricey! So maybe they'll come out with a simulator for UCS, that'd be great.

IIRC, there is a UCS Manager simulator. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Should have read the whole thread, doh. It's posted above.
    THis lab would also consist of a vmware environment to practice the nexus1000v config usage also, such as policies etc. It'd be a daunting task to make a home lab, but this is one heck of a way to make some cash for a company that has a training lab to rent. i think the best choice would be to read all the documentation out now and any simulators. I'd think the labs will be a while before they are rentable
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    in my case it was CCNA 2009 CCNP, CCIP, CCIE written 2010 CCIE R&S 2011 (fail tshoot, pass config) now retrying the lab next month. the DC cert looks really interesting but there would just be no way for many people to do it as the kit list runs into the 100,000's.

I think it would be worth doing CCNA/CCNP R&S because if you did that then went for CCIE:DC you'd be pretty indispensable to a company (with your server experience as well) able to go between networks and servers
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A UCS (chassis, blades, FI) can be had for about 37k, not too bad for a business (though way out of the home lab range). I would be more concerned with the Nexus 7k, those are far more expensive. I suspect that the first people to get this cert will be Cisco employees and large partners with their own labs.

I would love to do it but I can't see anyway to get the hands on in my current position.
    kalebksp wrote: »
    A UCS (chassis, blades, FI) can be had for about 37k, not too bad for a business (though way out of the home lab range). I would be more concerned with the Nexus 7k, those are far more expensive. I suspect that the first people to get this cert will be Cisco employees and large partners with their own labs.

I would love to do it but I can't see anyway to get the hands on in my current position.

I think looking for a part time night time datacenter job for low pay will be the best bet. Just do the job only for datacenter experience. or take a full time role working in the data center
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    kalebksp wrote: »
    I suspect that the first people to get this cert will be Cisco employees and large partners with their own labs.

I think only the largest partners and enterprises will have employes grabbing this one - and Cisco too, of course. I don't think we'll even see online lab providers. This stuff is too expensive. I'll be relying on GOLD Labs.
  • rogerp007rogerp007 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have just passed your CCNA and have little real world experience, jumping to CCIE data center is going to be a huge task, certianly not impossible, but you are basically trying to become a surgeon in 6 months with little access to people to practice on!

Unless you have access to the kit, CCIE data center is going to be hard going, INE are going to be having one rack available soon, but sure it will be expensive and fully booked.

My recommendation would be to go for R&S where there is loads of training and practice is really accessible due to GNS3 etc

Then get a network job where you could get exposure to the Nexus / UCS / Storage kit then pursue it.

Do not underestimate how long it will take, there are full time network engineers on that have been after CCIE for years, it is worth it but hard work, also whatever path you take you will put the time in, if you study for 2 years and take the lab once or study for 6 months take it, fail and then take it again in 6 months and fail, and then pass it, you need to put the time in and access to kit is paramount - access to the Data Center kit is going to be your stumbling block..

Roger
    UK
    currently pursuing R&S