Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Valsacar wrote: »
    I'm really pissed off right now, I told her I wanted to start as soon as possible as I had just finished my BS and didn't want to get out of the habit of doing coursework.

I know how you feel. I started applying in August and started in January. I had to have one college send my transcript 3 times before WGU got it. Once Nov hit, I started calling my EC nearly everyday. I did an intake interview in Nov, but Fin Aid wasn't finished with it's process yet so I had to do another in Dec. He also kept giving me incorrect information, which I would call him and make sure I was right.

The ECs are by far the worst part of WGU. They need to get some qualified people and pay them well enough to stay in that position. I got real close to calling the whole thing off at least twice.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    swild wrote: »
    The ECs are by far the worst part of WGU. They need to get some qualified people and pay them well enough to stay in that position. I got real close to calling the whole thing off at least twice.

Your first sentence in this quote is 100% right. Period.

As for the rest of your quote, it's not that simple. Enrollment keeps growing at a very steady pace at WGU. I think they need more people to help with the enrollment process. One thing I do love about enrollment is that they are so NON-pushy. In fact, people have to call them up, like you and Valsacar. As opposed to a for-profit where you accidently put yourself on a list, and you get hounded with high-pressure sales tactics everyday. In that regard, the WGU enrollment process excels. That's where that ends thoguh.

As everyone, you and I included, has stated who has gone through the enrollment process...it is the worst experience at WGU. I even told WGU staff this at commencement. Once you are in though, it's [for the most part] smooth sailing. Thankfully (for WGU) I wasn't in that much of a hurry. My biggest beef was canned responses to questions that had nothing to do with the answers I got.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I finished my assessment, so I can finally check that off. I assume the next step will be working out military/financial aid. 9/11 GI Bill payments make nervous because I've heard/read A LOT of bad things about delayed payments.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I finished my assessment, so I can finally check that off. I assume the next step will be working out military/financial aid. 9/11 GI Bill payments make nervous because I've heard/read A LOT of bad things about delayed payments.

Here's WGU's military and aid page in case you didn't see this:

Military Friendly Online College | Military Scholarships | Online Degree Programs | Western Governors University
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□

Have you already converted to 9/11 MGIB? I am able to pocket more with Ch30 MGIB. I haven't had any issues with delayed payments. Also, I have heard that if you use 100% of Ch30, you can then convert to 9/11 and get an additional year of benefits.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    I would agree. As I said earlier, for INT1, I submitted Task 1 on Saturday and Task 2 on Sunday and received both back Monday. I submitted Task 3 last night so I think that one will be a true indicator.
    Just to update...I received Task 3 back yesterday, so about 36 hours from submission to return.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    There is light at the end of the tunnel. Only 9 courses left, and none of them are MS certs. Couple CompTIA's, Management courses, and Capstone.

icon_study.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Have you already converted to 9/11 MGIB? I am able to pocket more with Ch30 MGIB. I haven't had any issues with delayed payments. Also, I have heard that if you use 100% of Ch30, you can then convert to 9/11 and get an additional year of benefits.

I got as far as making an account on the eBenefits page. I see the option where you can choose to forfeit other types. I thought I was only eligible for post 9/11 based on what a state education officer told me via email. I may call them up and see if I can talk to them for a few minutes to see what my best course of action is.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just wanted to throw this out there. I have become a member of the WGU movement.

I start their MBA program in April. Glad to be a board.

I have to schedule a time to speak to my mentor and go through the orientation.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Just wanted to throw this out there. I have become a member of the WGU movement.

Way to go, I know you'll do well!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »

Congrats!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I took the pre-assessment for the MCG1 this morning, getting 72%. Probably have this one knocked out in a week or so.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I took the pre-assessment for the MCG1 this morning, getting 72%. Probably have this one knocked out in a week or so.

I just passed this test. I got a similar score on the pre-assessment. Just schedule it as soon as you can, you will be able to pass. Remember, you just need a 51%.
  • Options
    swild wrote: »
    I just passed this test. I got a similar score on the pre-assessment. Just schedule it as soon as you can, you will be able to pass. Remember, you just need a 51%.

Cool. From previous experience, the pre-assessment is similar to the final exam. Sucks having to wait a minimum of 5 days to take it, though.
  • Options
    bigron58bigron58 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know this probably has been asked, but I see 165 pages worth and I am short on time right now. I am planning on finishing my degree, and was told about WGU by a friend from work yesterday. Since looking at their website, I feel it may be a very promising move to go ahead with finishing up and getting my B.S. or even going as far as an M.S. Something I saw on the website was that the degree programs are for people with experience looking to gain a degree for their job. I have my A.S. right now, and it has been close to 7 years since I have been to college, and I am limited in the tech field with experience and knowledge. Would I be at a disadvantage or would I even be able to get into the college program for a IT degree with limited or no experience?

Oh yeah.........I am new to the forums........so, hello from South Carolina!
  • Options
    bigron58 wrote: »
    I know this probably has been asked, but I see 165 pages worth and I am short on time right now. I am planning on finishing my degree, and was told about WGU by a friend from work yesterday. Since looking at their website, I feel it may be a very promising move to go ahead with finishing up and getting my B.S. or even going as far as an M.S. Something I saw on the website was that the degree programs are for people with experience looking to gain a degree for their job. I have my A.S. right now, and it has been close to 7 years since I have been to college, and I am limited in the tech field with experience and knowledge. Would I be at a disadvantage or would I even be able to get into the college program for a IT degree with limited or no experience?

Oh yeah.........I am new to the forums........so, hello from South Carolina!

Welcome to the forum.

WGU should accept your degree. As long as you are self-sufficient, you should do alright at WGU. It requires you to make good use of time and resources. Mentors will keep in contact with you and help you stay on track.
  • Options
    Ok, sounds great! From what I have read so far in this thread, WGU sounds like maybe the best decision when in comes to online universities (except for the counselors). I'm just wanting to make sure the money I am about to spend is going to be useful when I get the degree and go out and try for a job. Is WGU the only online university to offer all those certifications with the degree program, because I have looked at others and I don't think I remember seeing any certifications with their programs. And guys, I am sorry for all of the questions, but I see a lot, if not, all of you have been through or are going through WGU, and I figure you would be the best to ask.
  • Options
    Ok, sounds great! From what I have read so far in this thread, WGU sounds like maybe the best decision when in comes to online universities (except for the counselors). I'm just wanting to make sure the money I am about to spend is going to be useful when I get the degree and go out and try for a job. Is WGU the only online university to offer all those certifications with the degree program, because I have looked at others and I don't think I remember seeing any certifications with their programs. And guys, I am sorry for all of the questions, but I see a lot, if not, all of you have been through or are going through WGU, and I figure you would be the best to ask.

Do you have any IT experience? Are you currently looking for IT work? What do you expect with IT certs and a degree? What do you currently do now?

It will be helpful for you if you answer those questions, instead of reading into why I asked them. Your answers will help yourself in determining whether WGU/certs are the best way for you to break into IT.
  • Options
    How how i understand it is this. Most other online courses involve a classroom and teacher. WGU has you all on your own, which helps bring the cost down and allows you to progress and finish when you're ready, not when the teacher is and not when 4 years have passed.
  • Options
    novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    Most other online courses involve a classroom and teacher. WGU has you all on your own

I found this to be a blessing and a curse. I was able to pound out many classes quickly while some where a bear like java and sql that I could have really benefited from structured learning.
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • Options
    This is the best advice I can think of for dealing with classes you might be unfamiliar with/having trouble with:

1) Work through the class by yourself.

2) Jot down notes on anything you're unfamiliar with.

3) Research those issues based on notes you've taken.

4) If you still have problems, contact a course mentor and state specifically what the issue is.

When the course mentors see that you've made an attempt to work through the issue yourself, they bend over backwards to get you over that hump you're having problems with. This was evident in QLT1. The first few tasks, I worked through them and passed...my last task, I couldn't get over the final task because of one specific item (I forgot what that was...) once I got through it, I was able to successfully hand in my paper.

But you can't call the course mentors without having something specific...otherwise, they won't (want to) help you.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    erpadmin wrote: »
    This is the best advice I can think of for dealing with classes you might be unfamiliar with/having trouble with:
    . . .

All I can add is. . . read, read, read. Be ready to look for another book, another resource, if it will help. Google is your friend. :)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the input guys.....I will be talking with WGU tomorrow. I feel as though I am motivated enough to make it through alright. The only thing that kind of worries me is just the no experience going into the program. I have worked in a plant for 5 1/2 years with formaldehyde in the air, and I work a swing shift schedule which I absolutely hate. I know I may not get the schedule I desire (and honestly just getting out of the formaldehyde would be a step up for me), but ever since I got married 6 years ago I have wanted to finish my degree. I just never found an online university that made me feel comfortable enough to sign up. Thanks for your help, and God bless!
  • Options
    The only thing that kind of worries me is just the no experience going into the program.

That worries me too. I don't want to discourage you from going into WGU, but if you have no IT experience, and/or experience with regular college, it will be extremely difficult for someone with your background. Many of us deal(t) with WGU because we do have prior experience with either prior college work and/or have already been working in the industry for a number of years. It's not to say that you can't do it (it can be done), but be prepared to put some serious work into it, and have a contingency plan for when life, or another four letter word, happens (trust me...it does.) If you think IT/WGU is something you want to do, start with preparing for the CIW 1D0-510 exam and the A+ certification. Both are considered easy but to a novice will be somewhat difficult. You not only build a foundation, but you also knock out WGU CUs that you won't have to do when you start the program.

But also, it's a way to determine if you can handle self-study on certs. If you can't do either of those exams on your own, then you'll find other certs like the Windows 7 exam really difficult.

Really weigh your decision carefully.
  • Options
    Passed my assessment. Next issue is financial aid. Found out there is a possibility my employer may pay for some of this program. Until I get more information on that (hopefully soon) I am going to standby.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    OOP Class!!! (or, the more advanced Java)

Yes, I'm jumping up and down for attention here. GUT1, KFT1 (I think), AAT1 or whatever three letters they're putting on it now:

Beginning Java Objects: From Concepts to Code, Second Edition
    by Jacquie Barker
    Apress © 2005 (958 pages) Citation
    ISBN:9781590594575

GREAT book for this course. Even has a project similar (no, not the same) as the one you're doing in Task 4. I read through Chapter 7 and that was enough to help me get done, but AFTER I finished I found that it would have been helpful to read a couple more chapters, as the author does a walkthrough of fleshing out the design in UML!!

This book is in Books24x7, but I bought the eBook so I could read it offline. I'm still reading it, as I have a couple pet Java projects I'd like to work through this spring if time permits.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »

Thanks for this! I'm about to get back into this class next week and will definitely check this book out.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819

Yes, I'm jumping up and down for attention here. GUT1, KFT1 (I think), AAT1 or whatever three letters they're putting on it now:

by Jacquie Barker

GREAT book for this course. Even has a project similar (no, not the same) as the one you're doing in Task 4. I read through Chapter 7 and that was enough to help me get done, but AFTER I finished I found that it would have been helpful to read a couple more chapters, as the author does a walkthrough of fleshing out the design in UML!!

This book is in Books24x7, but I bought the eBook so I could read it offline. I'm still reading it, as I have a couple pet Java projects I'd like to work through this spring if time permits.

tagged for later
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192

by Jacquie Barker

I wish I had this resource a few weeks ago!
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    All three tasks submitted for INT1, waiting on task stream. In the process of working on the first 3 tasks for LAT1, doesn't seem like it's going to be that bad.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.