Options

OSPF area's in the real world

and36yand36y Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
This studying must be doing something... i'm beginning to think outsdie the book. so a quick question

If you were to set up a global network with potential mixed manufacturer. say 6 sites in the US, 4 in europe. London and far east. sat tokyo. What would be th best way to work areas.

I am thinking along the lines of (Being a Brit) London area 0, US area 1 , sites interlinked , then a couple of abr's from differen sites connecting back to blighty. A stub area 2 in tokyo and another normal area (3) European sites interlinked, with multiple abr's connecting back to London for europe.

Would i be correct in thinking this is an acceptable way to configure. I know there is more than one way to skin a cat. but would this be best practice or am I missing the mark by along way

Cheers all and good luck with the study

Andy
Studying CCIE R&S

Written passed, looking at lab towards end of 2013

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    This would be depending on the type of network. If you have your own private links, using MPLS VPN and so on.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    and36yand36y Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm thinking along the private link path.. maybe small campus networks but in single areas on each continent. If the continental campus networks were using multiple areas, what would be the best way to connect them up using private lines, could it be just asbr to asbr and redistribute between. or BGP..

Andy
    Studying CCIE R&S

Written passed, looking at lab towards end of 2013
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd make the edge/core of each site in area 0 and the rest of the site a separate area. You would put all your backbone links in area 0 to keep it contiguous and each site can fail to each other. If you make one site are 0 then you are depending on one site to be the backbone which isn't a very good design.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    agree with networker, the intersite links are your area 0 links, with each site being it's own area, if I could only use OSPF.

Of course, unless I had very good reasons otherwise, what I'd actually do is run OSPF at the local site, and interconnect the sites through BGP. I'm a firm believer in using IGP's for local routing, BGP for everything non-local.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    agree with networker, the intersite links are your area 0 links, with each site being it's own area, if I could only use OSPF.

Of course, unless I had very good reasons otherwise, what I'd actually do is run OSPF at the local site, and interconnect the sites through BGP. I'm a firm believer in using IGP's for local routing, BGP for everything non-local.

agreed, I'm not a fan of running IGPs over the wan but in certain cases its cool but in this scenario not.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons