MTA: Networking Fundamentals

valondonvalondon Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey, I'm going to be taking the MTA Networking Fundamentals exam next week as part of my Network+ class. My teacher wants us certified under both CompTIA and Microsoft, and since the MTA is the easier of the two, we'll be taking it first. I'm going through the exam cram book for Network+ N10-005 mainly as a prep for the Net+ test at the end of the semester. I was wondering if it would be adequate enough to help me pass the MTA also or are there some topics that I should research outside of reading the book?
A+, MTA: Networking, Net+, MTA: Security, MTA: OS Fundamentals, Security+

Comments

• usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    i would give Darill Gibson's book a try. worked for me
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • valondonvalondon Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    usagent27 wrote: »
    i would give Darill Gibson's book a try. worked for me

Don't really have time to buy a new book icon_sad.gif
    Was just wondering if prepping for CompTIA's Net+ would be enough or if I should research some specific topics also
  • usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    valondon wrote: »
    Don't really have time to buy a new book icon_sad.gif
    Was just wondering if prepping for CompTIA's Net+ would be enough or if I should research some specific topics also

The Comptia materials should be more than enough. know the OSI model and layers and you shld be ok
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Juniper has a very good intro to networking/telecommunications Flash-based eLearning module at https://learningportal.juniper.net/juniper/user_fasttrack_home.aspx. Click on the Take the Networking Fundamentals eLearning course link. I highly recommend it to anyone starting out in computer networking. Oh, it's five hours in length, so budget you time for watching all of it.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Juniper has a very good intro to networking/telecommunications Flash-based eLearning module at https://learningportal.juniper.net/juniper/user_fasttrack_home.aspx. Click on the Take the Networking Fundamentals eLearning course link. I highly recommend it to anyone starting out in computer networking. Oh, it's five hours in length, so budget you time for watching all of it.

Thanks for the link... I may have to send this to my teacher :D
  • gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    Just took and passed this test myself. Comptia network + book is all you need..
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    in your opinion was it actually easier than Comptia N+? I ask because I keep seeing mixed answers to this and I intend to take it eventually. And heck if its easier and all that good stuff I might just take it the same day as my Net+
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Realize that saying an exam is "difficult" or "easy" is a subjective opinion based on how much the exam candidate knows about the exam's topics and how well they performed while taking the exam. When someone says, "that exam was easy/hard," that is only an accurate assessment for them self and not for anyone else. Other people with differing levels of knowledge and exam-taking experience will have a different opinion.
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I meant in regards to Test length and actual skill levels required to pass. For example Comptia (in my experience) is all about memorization more than actual skill requiments.
    Plus I do realize that :) Hence why I asked for their opinion.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
    Sorry about the late reply. It's hard for me to say. I feel like the MTA was the easier test, but I had an easier time on the Net+ (and scored better on it) due to the fact that when I took Net+ I spent more time preparing than I did for the MTA.