First going for the MS 98-366 then moving to start the CCNA: Good for what I want?

riahc3riahc3 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey

First let me set my goal: Im going towards a networking and server administration (right now Microsoft operating systems and Active Directory).

Im right now going for the Microsoft 98-366 and if I pass, Ill start the Cisco path for the CCENT towards the CCNA (if I see the CCNA was OK to pass, is in my budget and is more or less easy, Ill go for the CCNP). Is this a good path choice or should I go for something else (networking and server admin related)?

Also, what other certificates are recommended when looking towards server/network administration?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• riahc3riahc3 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Fixed formatting..........Don't know what happened (my apologies)
    I would appreciate some kind of reply please....Thanks :)
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Kinda a kick in the face when there is so may views, but not many responses. First welcome to the board.

All the certs you posted where network related. Its a good path. After you get your CCNA, you may want to look at some Windows certs. Simply for market value. You'll find more jobs having both CCNA\MS. After that, work towards the CCNP if you decide to go the network route. A CCNP with little work experience does not hold much water. It's the old catch 22: need a job to get experiance, need the cert to get the job.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    riahc3 wrote: »
    Hey

First let me set my goal: Im going towards a networking and server administration (right now Microsoft operating systems and Active Directory).

Im right now going for the Microsoft 98-366 and if I pass, Ill start the Cisco path for the CCENT towards the CCNA (if I see the CCNA was OK to pass, is in my budget and is more or less easy, Ill go for the CCNP). Is this a good path choice or should I go for something else (networking and server admin related)?

Also, what other certificates are recommended when looking towards server/network administration?

Thank you very much.

It's all about what you want to do....
    If you want to do routing/switching/server stuff than yea go for it.

I think the best advice that I could suggest is that you go where you want to go and try to find the certifications that match up with the things that interest you. I suggest that you don't do it for the money but if it allows you to be flexible and you like it, go for it :)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    Thank you for posting :) I thought I said something wrong....

odysseyelite: Yes, I am indeed looking for network related. My intented path is

98-366 (MS) - Network fundamentals
    640-822 (Cisco)
    640-816 (Cisco) (With this and the above I get the CCNA)

Afterwards (and getting money back with jobs related with the CCNA, which I hear is good pay)

98-367 (MS) - Security fundamentals
    98-365 (MS) - Windows Sever admin fundamentals
    72-642 (MS) - Windows Server network infrastructure
    72-640 (MS) - Windows Server Active Directory

Afterwards I plan on getting a Linux certificate (I know 0 Linux), as this gets even HIGHER pay because there are very limited Linux network admins around.

My only job experience right now is 4 months as a Java programmer. Absolutely nothing else so...

jamesleecoleman: Thanks for the advice. Even though I like the certificates, I do also like the normal salaries these types of jobs offer, which I believe were in between $2000 - $5000 a month (correct me if Im wrong and where I can find this type of information). We all have to feed ourselves.

Lastly I want to thank both of you for replying :) Thank you very much.
    98-366 (MS) - Network fundamentals
    640-822 (Cisco)
    640-816 (Cisco) (With this and the above I get the CCNA)

98-367 (MS) - Security fundamentals
    98-365 (MS) - Windows Sever admin fundamentals
    72-642 (MS) - Windows Server network infrastructure
    72-640 (MS) - Windows Server Active Directory

My only job experience right now is 4 months as a Java programmer. Absolutely nothing else so...

Also, the 98-366 doesnt need work expirence in the area. The CCNA doesnt either. But the rest? Is work expirence needed (like for example the CCNP requires work expirence in networks)
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Afterwards (and getting money back with jobs related with the CCNA, which I hear is good pay)

Don't bank on getting a job with a CCNA cert. Certifications don't guarantee a job with a decent pay.

You'll be more employable, yes. But don't expect to walk into a $50,000 per year job with just a certification.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    +1 on the above. They also say don't get too many certs too quick....and not have any experience, it's best to complement one with the other imho.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Don't bank on getting a job with a CCNA cert. Certifications don't guarantee a job with a decent pay.

You'll be more employable, yes. But don't expect to walk into a $50,000 per year job with just a certification.
    Im aware that more job experience is looked at versus certifications but, like someone mentioned, without certifications you cant get a job.

Im looking initially to be more employable, as you mentioned. The salary will get better as years go on.
    +1 on the above. They also say don't get too many certs too quick....and not have any experience, it's best to complement one with the other imho.
    Well I made two sections with that intent :)

Those first 3, the network essentials (which is basically nothing, right?) and the CCNA. From that point on, I think I can get a better job than as a 800 bucks a month Java programmer (which I dont even like, which is the main problem about the job; When you dont like something, (almost) no matter what the pay, it isnt worh it).

Thanks to all the replied and if anyone has any other advice, thank you a lot. I found this forum and hope to get some guidence after getting my Higher National Diploma in Computing (Software Engineering).
    Another question, which is study related (not sure if I should make another thread for this....)

I used the CBT Nuggets videos (viewed them only once, one video each day) and on MeasureUp, on its demo score I got 67 (70 means I pass) which for one time, I dont think is that bad but its obvious that I have to study a lot harder for the real exam.

What other material do you recommend for the 98-366? Im not too much of a guy that likes to read books so videos is more my thing.

Thanks once again to all that help out.
  • usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    I just took this on Monday. What i used was Ucertify (pretty good) and Darill Gibson's MTA book (really good) test was 35 questions so there is not alot of room for error. If you have access to Labsim for the N+ i would use those videos. I'm currently studying for that one and the videos are a huge help and will more than cover the MTA exam. Hope this helps. Shoot me an PM if you want more info
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
    usagent27 wrote: »
    I just took this on Monday. What i used was Ucertify (pretty good) and Darill Gibson's MTA book (really good) test was 35 questions so there is not alot of room for error. If you have access to Labsim for the N+ i would use those videos. I'm currently studying for that one and the videos are a huge help and will more than cover the MTA exam. Hope this helps. Shoot me an PM if you want more info
    Online things like uCertify really dont call my attention for some reason (if it is worth it thats another thing) and I cant find the Darill Gibson book anywhere in my area (but like I said, I perfer nothing book related....)

Im pretty new to this certification thing so you saying " Labsim for the N+" you are basically speaking chinese :D

Thanks and Ill PM you
    And now I feel like a complete idiot because I cant find the option to PM someone lol..........How do you do this?
  • mariejoemariejoe Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi i am Joelle and i am a senior student in IT major and i also wanted to know which certificate is the best for new future graduate like me. i know the Bachelor Degree is a bunch of IT courses and i am so confused in making the choice. i know sometimes we do not go for what we really want or enjoy but we go for what the market is required the most. i want to go with something i really enjoyed learning and feel comfortable with. this information might help you help me decide. we did database, java, web design, sql server, access, networking now window server. from all these i fell comfortable learning windows and database. which certificate will be the best choice for me? thank you