Options

Certification Mistakes to avoid

konvictkonvict Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
It made some sense, though it looks so obvious.

Certification in Kenya: Certification Mistakes to Avoid

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I've been saying #1 on these boards for awhile now. Worst thing you can do is chase the market, you'll always be behind
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I would add a sixth point regarding overpriced training. Some people get sucked into paying a few grand for entry-level training that sometimes is not even worth 1/4 of its price.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I would add a sixth point regarding overpriced training. Some people get sucked into paying a few grand for entry-level training that sometimes is not even worth 1/4 of its price.
    +1 When you are starting off, people get suckered. People who try to get in to the field, they don't know if they like it or not, so there are way more trying to get in to the field which means big enough money for trainers. But if you do like it, then you look in to it and "What I can just buy a book and take the exam?" moment hits... "Jeez look how much I spent before!"
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    Even if you buy expensive training, you will still need to read the books. I don't see what one would gain from such a thing. I would think it's far better to buy some equipment and learn by experimentation as that's how you really retain information. Watching someone else do something will not help you when it comes time to do the work yourself. Having said that, I do wish I had access to training videos as they would feel the gap when I don't feel like reading. Those are out of my price range, though.
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great post, I seriously agree with taking an exam only when you're ready, it's true when people say you must know your stuff. Sitting a cert exam with a half-baked idea of what the exam objectives are about is exam suicide! Although the article is basic in context, and very much about common sense and rather obvious, I believe many people still ignor such practicalities. Personally, I have never seen a brain **** and don't see any gain by studying them. No doubt if you managed a pass using one, your on-the-job ability would very quickly show that you do not know your stuff.

I am the old fashioned type who subscribes to the hard-work addage, my feeling is that most of us are adept to studying, and hence we become certified. The hard part (in my opinion), is finding what study techniques work for you. Because we are all different, what works for one may not for the other.
    The Wings of Technology