the-10-best-it-certifications-2012

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Most of these I can agree with, but is there really that big of a call for Apple certs?

The 10 best IT certifications: 2012 | TechRepublic

Comments

• kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I havent seen a single place ever ask for apple certs. Not even apple support shops ask for it in my state that I have seen. It seems like they are basing this off of apple becoming a hot topic lately. There is no ROI on these certs that I have ever seen.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Apple computers are more targeted towards the High-income users. However, I know mid-income persons use macs. My friend in PA uses only macs in her office.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I havent seen a single place ever ask for apple certs. Not even apple support shops ask for it in my state that I have seen. It seems like they are basing this off of apple becoming a hot topic lately. There is no ROI on these certs that I have ever seen.

A former classmate of mine took a job where he had to get Apple certified within 6 months. But they provided all of the training and paid for the exams. So it seems that at least this employer recognized the value in certified but also recognized that nobody has Apple certs.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A colleague of mine is undertaking Apple cert studies to better provide support for the Macs on campus. He's not required to, and no one asked him; he just wants to be the other "Apple" guy users turn to. So there is "value," FWIW.

I guess the 1-3 questions on A+ concerning Apple just isn't enough....
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I'm shocked to see network + and A+ listed but no security +? Definitely agree with the number 1 choice. I need to hurry up and get my CCNA! I've been slacking for to long lol.
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good article, seems current from what I know, gonna have a squiz at TechRepublic now :)
    The Wings of Technology
    You guys remember his 2010 list that most of us thought was garbage? http://i.techrepublic.com.com/downloads/Gilbert/dl_10_best_certs.pdf

Same list except he dropped an Apple cert and combined A+ and Net+ to make room for the CompTIA cert and added virtualization.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    higherho

I feel like sharing a story :)

I use to smoke cigars almost daily. I would network with a group of guys from cooks to directors of fortune 500 companies. Some of them I was close to others not so much. Well one day a gentlemen up there who I was friendly with mentioned my background in IT. At the time I was on helpdesk. No certs and none related IT degree was all I had. He said his boss was looking for two network support guys. I said I would be interested. Then the dream came to a scretching halt. He said I would either need to have Linux or Networking experience. I had some but it was light. No configuration just troubleshooting. So he said that was great, but did I have my CCNA. Of course I didn't at the time nor do I have it now.

I still go in for the occasional smoke and he tells me how the new guys are doing etc. Even though it worked out for the best at least I tell myself that, I lost out on a job that paid 65,000 a year. Keep in mind I was making 38,000 :/
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There's another article on there today that says request for security certs are down 32%.
    Bokeh wrote: »
    There's another article on there today that says request for security certs are down 32%.

Tell that to Sony, RSA, Lockheed Martin, and the dozen other companies that had major security attacks last year.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can see the reasoning for those certs and why security+ was left off but I see more jobs asking for ITIL now to go along with the A+/Net+. I don't see a lot of jobs asking for any Apple certs with only 6 (total) comming up on Dice and SonicWall having 27. I think CISSP should have been #2 then VCP.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

+1

I have seen maybe one or two jobs that even mention Apple certs. I think this is just someone predicting what they think will be the next big thing in IT.

CCNA does have value. I missed out on two jobs, because I didn’t remember the OSI model of the Network+. One was a phone interview, and they called me out of the blue.(for a company that made Networking Monitoring tools) Another was a written test, which was very hard.(For an ISP) I would like to pursue the CCNET and CCNA someday. I’m not too excited about renewing it every 3 years.

I think the 70-640 has a lot of value too!! A lot of companies want IT guys that have Active Directory experience/understanding.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    You guys remember his 2010 list that most of us thought was garbage? http://i.techrepublic.com.com/downloads/Gilbert/dl_10_best_certs.pdf

For the record, I still do.

The problem that I will always have with these lists is that people who can't spell IT, let alone are not in the industry will read these lists and take it as gospel. Then they'll do whatever they need to do to get the top three and then wonder why they aren't making a salary that can get them an S-Class Mercedes [or...heck, even a low-end Kia].
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    CCNA does have value. I missed out on two jobs, because I didn’t remember the OSI model

All
    people
    seem
    to
    need
    data
    processing

Come on man easiest way to remember it !
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    All
    people
    seem
    to
    need
    data
    processing

People
    Do
    Need
    To
    Stop
    Playing
    Around

Google it!! You'll find no one came out with that one....in fact I just did and when you put it in quotes it goes back to an old post I wrote... :)
    erpadmin wrote: »
    People
    Do
    Need
    To
    Stop
    Playing
    Around

Google it!! You'll find no one came out with that one....in fact I just did and when you put it in quotes it goes back to an old post I wrote... :)

Please
    Do
    Not
    Throw
    Sausage
    Pizza
    Away

and to remember the protocol data units...
    Doh! (Application, Presentation, and Session layer)
    Sausage
    Pizza's
    Frozen
    Bart
    (Data, Data, Data, Segments, Packets, Frames, Bits)
    Dont forget those sub layers in layer 2! icon_thumright.gif

Also imo if your a CCIE you have the number 1 cert imo lol.
    But CCIEs don't get to wear capes!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Roguetadhg wrote: »
    But CCIEs don't get to wear capes!

I would, I would make either a batman cape for the long night shifts and then a Zero cape for during the day (Zero from Code Geass if anyone here loves anime :0)
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    When I'm trying to decide if I should sit for a particular cert, I get on Dice or Indeed and search for it throughout the whole country. The way I see it, while you do learn something from certs, you don't learn a lot, at least I don't. Certs are just a way to get past HR, I've always learned more on the job.
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    When I'm trying to decide if I should sit for a particular cert, I get on Dice or Indeed and search for it throughout the whole country. The way I see it, while you do learn something from certs, you don't learn a lot, at least I don't. Certs are just a way to get past HR, I've always learned more on the job.

I have to completely disagree with this. My motivation for certs is what I want to learn, and I've learned far more studying for them than I ever learned in any classroom. Honestly, I don't particularly care much for which certs are the hottest or have the most hits on dice. Maybe this is wrong of me, I understand what you’re doing and see where it is likely successful. But at least to me, it’s not just about checking off the boxes on the application but learning something I am interested in. The only time I’ve struggled finding a job was my first job, since then I’ve been contacted numerous times through linkedin and different recruitment agencies about positions that are open even when I have no interest.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    higherho wrote: »
    I would, I would make either a batman cape for the long night shifts and then a Zero cape for during the day (Zero from Code Geass if anyone here loves anime :0)

haha i have the whole series, but not the time to watch it,
    (Back on topic) I do agree that CCIE is #1 in my opinion. If you have the knowledge to get that then ill bow down to you. One day i will get the CCIE and i will wear my cape (at least for a few hours till i get tired of people looking at me thinking I need some form of mental help.)
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
    I felt inspired to wear a CCNA cape.

• pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I have to completely disagree with this. My motivation for certs is what I want to learn, and I've learned far more studying for them than I ever learned in any classroom. Honestly, I don't particularly care much for which certs are the hottest or have the most hits on dice. Maybe this is wrong of me, I understand what you’re doing and see where it is likely successful. But at least to me, it’s not just about checking off the boxes on the application but learning something I am interested in. The only time I’ve struggled finding a job was my first job, since then I’ve been contacted numerous times through linkedin and different recruitment agencies about positions that are open even when I have no interest.

Well sometimes you have to take things that you aren't interested in to get the job that pushes you and makes you a better admin in the long haul. For me that was Cisco and Exchange. I'm not going to say I didn't learn anything, but I'm just more of a hands on practical situation kind of guy.

They taught us in school that you don't take the certs till you've worked on the product and know it. Well in this world you can't (usually) get the job without the cert and you can't get the experience without the job so it's kind of a Catch 22.

Make no mistake I do take things I'm interested in, I just try to also make sure they have more value than personal satisfaction.
  • Success101Success101 Member Posts: 132
    Can't believe Security+ isn't on there. Go figure.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CSSA and Comptia Healthcare? Seriously? They're next to worthless, with little RoI.

I don't think Dell purchasing Sonicwall is a game-changer. I configure Sonicwalls frequently; we're an MS, HP, and Sonicwall shop, in that order. The certification and training for it has never proven valuable. They're fairly easy to configure, and when you can't configure something you can call Sonicwall. Anyway, that sector is saturated with similar equipment (Adtran, Watchguard, Astaro, Zywall, Smoothwall, M0n0wall, and even Cisco), and Sonicwall is not likely to become a de facto standard or even a dominating one. Dell doesn't dominate PCs and servers, so I don't see any big changes coming in Sonicwall's relative market share.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That Comptia healthcare cracks me up PT.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Horrible list... The inclusion of the CSSA is shocking to me... I have that and I'm afraid to mention that to people... It's a open book test for god's sake.

A+/N+ really?
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    They taught us in school that you don't take the certs till you've worked on the product and know it. Well in this world you can't (usually) get the job without the cert and you can't get the experience without the job so it's kind of a Catch 22.

Yes, but when you get a cert on something you've never worked on, and your resume is reflected on that, be ready to hear questions that you didn't read about in your little cert prep guide. Forsaken_GA's latest thread on resumes is a nice real world example of this [not talking about empty certs per se, but it is still applicable].

Empty certs are just as bad as having no certs at all. You will not have a leg up on someone who has experience. :)
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    All
    people
    seem
    to
    need
    data
    processing

The OSI model people. This list still should have had Security + on it but, I have a few on the list. I think these list can be misleading to not just to I.T. management who aren't in the field but, also the H.R. personnel who says you must have them all. Then, you get these certs and they want to pay you like 45-70k while you have the Alphabet soup of certs; to funny.