Options

Did anyone receive some new certificates and cards from CompTIA recently?

quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
I received two new certificates and those platics (credit-card) sized CompTIA cards last week, I was well certified before their cut off for the CE program for the A+ and the N+. (certified 2007 and 2008 respectively). Upon checking the ComptIA website, it seems that I am not affected by the CE program, but in saying that, I did however receive these items in the post which now states that I am certfied as of this month for the next three years?

You would think a polite email informing you of their latest happenings would suffice?, simply getting this business in the mail leaves one a tad confused? Anyway, I am hoping all is well and still "certified for life!" with these as I did them way before the cut off. Just wondering if anyone else got the same thing, or has corresponded with CompTIA as I will in an emial vey soon just to see what this is really all about?

From what I can tell thus far, it seemingly gives you the choice to go down CE road if your were certified before Dec31st 2010. Mind you, might look good on a resume, but imagine having three exams in the one day and an employer believing that!!!
The Wings of Technology

Comments

• Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Yes I got them as well. You're now certified for life as well as CE.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tr1x wrote: »
    Yes I got them as well. You're now certified for life as well as CE.

icon_scratch.gif I guess I'll be expecting some mail from them soon as well. CompTIA seems to be changing as much a Lake Michigan breeze...
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    icon_scratch.gif I guess I'll be expecting some mail from them soon as well. CompTIA seems to be changing as much a Lake Michigan breeze...

Same, nothing yet. I thought that you had to opt-in for their CE program if you wanted to join, with the deadline being December 31st of 2011. If you didn't, you would still be "certified for life" but if you ever wanted to get into the CE program you would need to retake the tests.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Same, nothing yet. I thought that you had to opt-in for their CE program if you wanted to join, with the deadline being December 31st of 2011. If you didn't, you would still be "certified for life" but if you ever wanted to get into the CE program you would need to retake the tests.

That's what I thought as well, and I wasn't going to do it since it would be yearly fee which I found ridiculous for an entry-level certification. CISSP, SSCP, or PMP sure, but not the A+ icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    I dunno.. I passed A+ and Net+ to be certified for life. Then I went and took Sec+ CE in 2011 and I automatically received an A+ CE and Net+ CE in the mail when I received my Sec+ CE. So now I'm still certified for life but I also have the CE certifications. (however the Sec+ I am not certified for life).

The CE renews like every time you take another certification from another vendor. Not ANY, but most will renew it I believe. Either way I don't really care because it's CompTIA. Seriously, who cares.
  • Options
    cbalkcomcbalkcom Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To "QuinnyFly" and others: You only need keep your highest level CompTIA certification current through the continuing education (CE) program. If you were certified for life with A+ and Network+, but got Security+ after the CE program was in effect (thereby earning "Security+ CE", your A+ and Network+ certifications are automatically kept current through your keeping the Security+ current. Your receipt of new paperwork for your A+ and Network+ certifications was probably an attempt to make that clear. (Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked!) If you have further questions, file a ticket with CompTIA Customer Service by following the instructions on this page: Customer Service.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    wait...
    this is only for CE?
    Im certified 4 life for A+ and Net+
    I havent gotten any new shiny stuff over mail
    meh
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cbalkcom wrote: »
    To "QuinnyFly" and others: You only need keep your highest level CompTIA certification current through the continuing education (CE) program. If you were certified for life with A+ and Network+, but got Security+ after the CE program was in effect (thereby earning "Security+ CE", your A+ and Network+ certifications are automatically kept current through your keeping the Security+ current. Your receipt of new paperwork for your A+ and Network+ certifications was probably an attempt to make that clear. (Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked!) If you have further questions, file a ticket with CompTIA Customer Service by following the instructions on this page: Customer Service.

Try this for clarification: Its all here, and you can keep current by taking another cert that is higher than your previous.

http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/ceu_faq.sflb.ashx

And for those like myself who have been certified with A+ and N+ before Dec31st 2010 and have Sec+ after that date, below links to those certs that will automatically renew your Secuirty + certification within the designated 3 yr time frame.

http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/sec_plus_approved_certs.sflb.ashx

Hope this clears it up!
    The Wings of Technology