My CCENT Notes

2»

Comments

• ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Great guide! I've been regularly comparing my notes (I'm using Odom's Second Edition ICND1 Certification Guide) to yours that you post here. Quick question for you:

I've noticed you sometimes include some information that I dont see in my book; are you using Odom's newer 3rd edition or Lamele's CCNA book, or something else altogether?

For example, PAP and CHAP are nowhere listed in Odom's 2nd Edition and I dont remember seeing that level of PPP knowledge in the exam topics for the CCENT. I've also noticed the Basic Security you've listed differs from that of Odom's second edition. Sorry if this seems really nit-picky, I'm taking the exam in a week and I guess I got a little worried when I was seeing things from your notes that were not in mine; just trying to be thorough!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    I use Todd Lammle's books. I don't like cisco press books.
  • ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    sizeon wrote: »
    I use Todd Lammle's books. I don't like cisco press books.

That's what I had suspected. Thanks for clarifying for me!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • cb3dwacb3dwa Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    im going to try Todd Lammle for icnd2
    a friend uses them for his cissp and loves them

i like the cisco press books for ref but find it is information ovrload when im reading them
    Todd lammle book's are really grate. Make sure you go to his web site for errata.
  • showboshowbo Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know you have already heard this, but thanks for these notes! Going to finish up my CBT nuggets videos, then read T. Lammle's book, practice some labs and go take my CCENT.
  • YuuYuu Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also want to say thanks for this. A big thumbsup to you :)

Knowledge is power...even moreso when shared with love :D
  • The PatientThe Patient Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the detailed notes! I will be taking my test in about 10 days and this will help me organize my thoughts!!

Saved me a ton of time!
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Nice, thanks!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I forgot to say thanks for the great notes. icon_thumright.gif
  • esco123esco123 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    great notes, very much appreciated.

have you completed your icnd2??? if you could provide notes for that too, I'm sure many people like myself would be very, very grateful. Thank you anyways if you not got icnd2 notes.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    esco123 wrote: »
    Thank you anyways if you not got icnd2 notes.

esco123....check out this thread -

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/79140-my-ccna-notes-living-document.html

hth
  • kocherkocher Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are three ways (options

) to handle an non-secure mac address:
    1) Shutdown- The frame will be dropped and will be reported to the log. The port will also be shut down.
    2) Protect- The frame will be dropped and reported to the log.
    3) Restrict- The frame will be dropped.

First I wanted to say great notes. They make for a good second reference to my own notes for the CCENT.

I did want to bring this to attention though. Protect and restrict are actually backwards.
    Protect - Drops the frame and DOES NOT increase the counter.
    Restrict - Drops the frame and DOES increase the counter.

Can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/port_sec.pdf

When configuring port security violation modes, note the following information:
    protect
    —Drops packets with unknown source addresses until you remove a sufficient number of secure MAC addresses to drop below the maximum value.
    restrict
    —Drops packets with unknown source addresses until you remove a sufficient number of secure MAC addresses to drop below the maximum value and causes the SecurityViolation counter to increment.
    shutdown
    —Puts the interface into the error-disabled state immediately and sends an SNMP trap notification.

Just wanted to make sure anyone else using the notes as a reference didn't learn the wrong info.
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey, i am going to post some of my notes to see if it helps some of you guys.

Yes Sir it will, thank you!!
    cb3dwa wrote: »

i like the cisco press books for ref but find it is information ovrload when im reading them

Agreed 110%, great reference but I wouldn't want to "live" there! I'm not too flabbergasted with Lammel's full study guide but I liked those Fast Pass and even the new Exam review guide though it is still very dry! Best teacher is classroom Academy combined with ICND2 labs, imo. You have to develop a torrid love affair with Packet Tracer either way.
  • mohamedshajidmohamedshajid Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh this is great resources to me handle by myself for CCENT Theory but there is nor notes about Vlans and Basic configuration. :D But it's ok this is awesome..
    [2013] CCNA Cert Exam @IBM Premier Campus in Sri Lanka
    + Reading Todd Lammle CCNA 7th Edition, CCENT Cert Dummies
    I'm totally afraid of heard strange word of cisco
    + Next Career - Red Hat Linux Networking And CCNA: Security (2013 Before June)
    in ICND1 you don't need to know how to configure vlans. All you have to know is that VLANS are a separate broadcasr domain (separate network) and in-order for different VLANS to communicate with each other you need a router for that.
  • mohamedshajidmohamedshajid Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Absolutely bro, I just asked about Vlan because i'm going to take ICND1/ICND2 Composite exam so i should study all together, There is a much pressure but of course i just separated :D With out collide :D
    [2013] CCNA Cert Exam @IBM Premier Campus in Sri Lanka
    + Reading Todd Lammle CCNA 7th Edition, CCENT Cert Dummies
    I'm totally afraid of heard strange word of cisco
    + Next Career - Red Hat Linux Networking And CCNA: Security (2013 Before June)
  • USM_ITCboyUSM_ITCboy Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey sizeon,

Great notes but I do have a question. I am using Todd Lammle's book also for studying. I need to ask: based solely on studying those notes, could you pass the test? I ask b/c I have notes very similar to yours and are very detailed. I have taken this test before and failed but I'm not sure if it's b/c I didn't study hard enough of if I didn't have adequate notes.
    USM_ITCboy wrote: »
    Hey sizeon,

Great notes but I do have a question. I am using Todd Lammle's book also for studying. I need to ask: based solely on studying those notes, could you pass the test? I ask b/c I have notes very similar to yours and are very detailed. I have taken this test before and failed but I'm not sure if it's b/c I didn't study hard enough of if I didn't have adequate notes.

My notes are pretty much a summary of the chapters in the Todd Lammle book. That is what i used to pass the CCNA, BUT i highly recommend you do the labs in the book.
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cb3dwa wrote: »
    im going to try Todd Lammle for icnd2
    a friend uses them for his cissp and loves them

I liked Steve McQuerry's ICND2 book from the "Learning CCNA" series. I hate odom books and i hate lammel too except for first few chapters. It's (c) 2008 so it has almost all the info but its explained better and it sticks more (this is how I test how effective an author is by The Stickiness factor)
  • USM_ITCboyUSM_ITCboy Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My notes are pretty much a summary of the chapters in the Todd Lammle book. That is what i used to pass the CCNA, BUT i highly recommend you do the labs in the book.

Mine are about the same. I have 40 pages worth of notes that I've taken. I'll start doing the labs b/c I def didn't do them the 1st time around. What'd you use for ICND2 studies?
    I used Todd lammle for both ICND 1&2
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bump. nice notes.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • tasman35tasman35 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mgmguy1 wrote: »
    Bump. nice notes.
    How and where did you dig this up....Great notes...I copyed them to a word doc and loading on my phone now to allways have a good set of notes....
  • FrostyFlamezFrostyFlamez Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys! You all are awesome! icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif