Is it easy to get a job doing Cisco with just a CCNA certification.

jediweaponjediweapon Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a few of the CompTIA certs and the 270 for MS. I am thinking of pursuing the CCENT and CCNA as networking is much more interesting than doing stuff with Windows Servers for me. My question is, is it pretty easy to find employment (entry level networking) by just getting a CCNA certification without any specific Cisco work experience?

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on your area. Depends if you are open to relocate.

I don't know beyond that. It'll be generally easier if you're willing/able to move. If you can, you'll more apt to get a job.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Every area is different. In my area, a reputable degree plus a CCNA will get you on the short list (fewer than a dozen candidates) for a competitive entry-level position with a decent starting salary and growth potential. Work experience isn't expected at the entry level. Just a strong foundation of knowledge so you have the ability to become productive within a few months.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    what is your area? For those lucky enough to be in your area, that is :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A large metropolitan area. Just adding some perspective. Desireable entry-level positions--the ones not filled by a friend or a friend-of-a-friend of an existing employee--draw hundreds of resumes. If all you have in-hand is an entry-level certification, grab what job you can that provides good experience, and expect to spend some time paying your dues.

You'll be experienced soon enough, and then you can laugh at such days!
  • Ramair2kRamair2k Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Like others have said, it depends on your location and field you want to get into. Also bear in mind that having the CCNA is great, but real world experience is better. What I mean by that is some jobs ask for CCNA but also want "proven" experience working on cisco equipment. Lets keep it real, some people are good at taking tests and can pass all the way up to CCNP etc...but come real world situations, can't troubleshoot themselves out of a paper bag. Just another way of looking at it. Get the CCNA, but make sure you KNOW what you are doing and not just a paper cert.

In my neck of the woods, I work for a major MSO. I am sure you can guess who that is, and NO, its not Verizon. I am a Metro Ethernet Technican/Engineer, call me what you want. We do NOT require the CCNA for new hires because you really don't need it to do the basics of the job however having it could land you a better job within the company where CCNA skills are put to use each and every day. I generally work on Cisco, CRS-8, ASR-9000, Juniper EX4200 and Ciena 311v as customer edge devices. Having said that, CCNA route/switch theory is a major part of my job but command line tasks is not. Most of the routers are all controlled by the National team and I only have read-only access. I can check configs that the National Team put onto the router for each customer I install, but I cant make any changes. I one day hope to land another role within the company that allows me to work on the network daily instead of calling in a ticket for another team to implement a fix.

A CCNA here in the Boston area, could net you a 50-60k a year salary job in an IT department. For my company, could be a bit more. CCNAs here in Boston are "in demand" but MOST companies who want a Cisco Engineer are looking for a CCNP or higher. Just keeping it real. Jobs and pay are based on region/area and like others have said, in order to maximize your earnings, you may have to be willing to relocate. I have been with said company for 8 years and am very happy. They don't pay for my certs, nor do I get a pay increase for earning them. I do it for myself and hope that one day my cert over somone not having it will net me the job I want. I am a big believer in "you reap what you sow."

Come to Boston, my company is hiring soon for additional MetroE techs.
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ramair2k wrote: »
    Like others have said, it depends on your location and field you want to get into. Also bear in mind that having the CCNA is great, but real world experience is better. What I mean by that is some jobs ask for CCNA but also want "proven" experience working on cisco equipment. Lets keep it real, some people are good at taking tests and can pass all the way up to CCNP etc...but come real world situations, can't troubleshoot themselves out of a paper bag. Just another way of looking at it. Get the CCNA, but make sure you KNOW what you are doing and not just a paper cert.

In my neck of the woods, I work for a major MSO. I am sure you can guess who that is, and NO, its not Verizon. I am a Metro Ethernet Technican/Engineer, call me what you want. We do NOT require the CCNA for new hires because you really don't need it to do the basics of the job however having it could land you a better job within the company where CCNA skills are put to use each and every day. I generally work on Cisco, CRS-8, ASR-9000, Juniper EX4200 and Ciena 311v as customer edge devices. Having said that, CCNA route/switch theory is a major part of my job but command line tasks is not. Most of the routers are all controlled by the National team and I only have read-only access. I can check configs that the National Team put onto the router for each customer I install, but I cant make any changes. I one day hope to land another role within the company that allows me to work on the network daily instead of calling in a ticket for another team to implement a fix.

A CCNA here in the Boston area, could net you a 50-60k a year salary job in an IT department. For my company, could be a bit more. CCNAs here in Boston are "in demand" but MOST companies who want a Cisco Engineer are looking for a CCNP or higher. Just keeping it real. Jobs and pay are based on region/area and like others have said, in order to maximize your earnings, you may have to be willing to relocate. I have been with said company for 8 years and am very happy. They don't pay for my certs, nor do I get a pay increase for earning them. I do it for myself and hope that one day my cert over somone not having it will net me the job I want. I am a big believer in "you reap what you sow."

well thats good to hear im graduating in August with a degree in computer networking... I'd love to network with you as from what you just described is along what I am most interested in.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Ramair2kRamair2k Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    matt333 wrote: »
    well thats good to hear im graduating in August with a degree in computer networking... I'd love to network with you as from what you just described is along what I am most interested in.

No problem man, shoot me a PM anytime. I will let you know when the job req is out.
  • bbmin7b5bbmin7b5 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□

I've got the same job over in Portland.
  • Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No problem man, shoot me a PM anytime. I will let you know when the job req is out.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I wish I could PM you. I live in the outer Boston area and thought I would try to get in contact with you.

May I ask the company name?