Options

Self study Security certs

Hello,

What would you guys say are the best secuirty certs that you can self study towards. I already have got my CISSP but am looking to do more security certs next.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    rob1234 wrote: »
    Hello,

What would you guys say are the best secuirty certs that you can self study towards. I already have got my CISSP but am looking to do more security certs next.

Thanks,

CISSP is the end that many of us are working towards. Since you already have that knocked out, I'd say its just a matter of filling in the blanks with what you're interested in. I just finished CEH. I'd say that is definitely doable self-study. To be honest, you could probably pass it without study since you passed the CISSP exam.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Could just follow the ECCouncil learning path? Might be fun.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
    Can you do the CEH without doing a course? Can you just buy a few books then book the exam on your own?

Where can I find the ECCouncil learning path?

Thanks,
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here is the EC-Council path, also theres their new top end certificacion C|CISO. Here is their learning certification path Job Roles. Good luck.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Being a CEH credential holder and spending plenty of time dealing with the EC-Council, I can't say that I'm really impressed with the way they do things. Some employers know the CEH and some don't. I don't know about other people's experience but it seems like other than the CEH most employers aren't aware of many of the certifications the EC-Council offers. That being said I don't see much value to the other EC certs at the moment. It's not just EC-Council the same can be said about (ISC)2. (ISC)2 does a great job marketing the CISSP but a lousy job promoting the SSCP. My experience is that unless an employer has a specific requirement like D0D 8570 many are not aware of some of the lesser known (but great) certifications offered.

My $0.02 is to look at ISACA's CISA or CISM they are well respected and well known. I would also suggest looking at the ISACA's CRISC certification risk management continues to be a hot topic and I can tell you that I get an average of 4-7 calls a week for jobs because I hold a CRISC. You can also get the self-study materials for these test directly from ISACA. You may also want to check with your local ISACA chapter as they generally offer a prep course for around $150 and you will earn 21-32 CPE's (on avg.) that you can apply towards your CISSP or other cert (they are also accepted by SANS for their CPE requirements).

HTH

~CP