CISSP Journey

bsdbanditbsdbandit Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have begun studying for the CISSP my buddy gave me a copy of his CISSP all in one 4th edition book. I'm going to be sitting for this exam in June. I have also bought the practice exam questions from ccure. My question is the 4th edition of this book a good read or should i just stop and try to get the fifth edition ?

Comments

• corpseccorpsec Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That depends, I don't have first hand experience on AIO 4th edition.. but for me I would've gone bootcamp, latest books, best quiz material just so I can close the gap of any variables that may help me pass the exam even if it's only 1-2% different...

The AIO 4th is 2007 and 5th 2010. We are now in 2012 so if you are using AIO 4th you're using a 5 yr old resource. There probably isn't much that have changed and I'm sure you can get by but for the cost of getting a newer edition I don't think the savings justify the potential of having to retake the exam... and shelling out another $600, emotional stress, agony of re-studying etc..

Also you support the author if you buy new =)

I used the Shon Harris Videos/DVDs too that were really old and even though some technology has changed the main concepts stayed the same.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I went to a bootcamp when I took mine the first time. Noticed I said "first time" lol.

I studied before the bootcamp went to it and it was a review and what was good about it was I was isolated in the evenings to study

Problem was I studied kind of wrong and since this was my first non OS type cert I focused on the technical stuff and failed on all the high level stuff.

For the price of a bootcamp I would have rather saved the money for potential retakes and saved the difference.
  • NiftySwiftyNiftySwifty Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bsdbandit wrote: »
    I have begun studying for the CISSP my buddy gave me a copy of his CISSP all in one 4th edition book. I'm going to be sitting for this exam in June. I have also bought the practice exam questions from ccure. My question is the 4th edition of this book a good read or should i just stop and try to get the fifth edition ?

I doubt enough has changed to justify shelling out for the newest version of the book, instead, you should buy one or two other books. I would recommend Exam Cram CISSP and/or the CISSP Study Guide by Eric Conrad. Franky, while the All in One is a good book, I felt it far too wordy as a primary study aid. I read Exam Cram and CISSP SG, then did a lot of tests, then used AIO to fill in the blanks on my four weakest domains.

You might also consider getting a Safari subscription. $45 a month, but unlimited access to quite a few CISSP books there, and you'd only need it for a couple of months.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The (ISC)2 CISSP Official Study Guide (2nd ed.) is the primary study resource for the CISSP exam, not the Harris books. The CISSP Candidate Information Bulletin lists other study resources. It's my guess these are the resources used to create the exam items themselves. I don't see an author with the name of "Harris" anywhere in that list.