Options

Death of the SysAdmin

AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.

Comments

• Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Certain companies aren't going to let their data be in a "cloud".
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ya fat chance.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    M$, Amazon and Google have 1 person for every 10,000 inboxes? So M$ has 92 people dealing with everything, Google has 32 and Amazon has 56? What is an "inbox" and why would any company have a 1:20? For a CIO he doesn't sound like too much in the know. And is he actually comparing FMG with its 2500 employees to M$, Amazon and Google?

"“Don’t get boxed in by certifications,” Vito Forte said in the keynote. “It’s not about certifications; it’s about the ability of your people to deliver."" - When is the last time someone without a cert got a Network Engineer 3 position?

He did away with Cisco switches for HP? Sure HP is cheaper but they don't have the features of Cisco. As for the switch to Hyper-V, that isn't innovative just good business sense. You're tooting your own horn over something any manager with a half a brain cell should have done.

"Forte bristled when asked whether there were specific programs or promotions in place to convince staff to re-skill around broader business-relevant disciplines. “You get to keep your job,” he said, bluntly. “Why do I have to provide incentives for people to do what they should already be doing? I think there is a natural progression in terms of the roles changing." - This guy sounds like a tool. Really you just expect someone to learn and get certified in something because you say so without anything? Anyone from Australia that can chime in on this place? I imagine a high turnover rate with a lot of temp staff.

This guy not only drank but is regurgitating the Kool Aid from HP, considering the summit was sponsored by HP.

Systems Admins aren’t going to disappear from the work force. I do see a lot of jobs joining Network and Systems Admins and Systems Admins and Desktop support but there will always be a need for their skill set.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Servers and applications aren't going anywhere. The work might shift a bit, but someone still has to admin this stuff whether they work for the company or the provider.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    eansdad wrote: »
    M$, Amazon and Google have 1 person for every 10,000 inboxes? So M$ has 92 people dealing with everything, Google has 32 and Amazon has 56? What is an "inbox" and why would any company have a 1:20? For a CIO he doesn't sound like too much in the know. And is he actually comparing FMG with its 2500 employees to M$, Amazon and Google?

"“Don’t get boxed in by certifications,” Vito Forte said in the keynote. “It’s not about certifications; it’s about the ability of your people to deliver."" - When is the last time someone without a cert got a Network Engineer 3 position?

He did away with Cisco switches for HP? Sure HP is cheaper but they don't have the features of Cisco. As for the switch to Hyper-V, that isn't innovative just good business sense. You're tooting your own horn over something any manager with a half a brain cell should have done.

"Forte bristled when asked whether there were specific programs or promotions in place to convince staff to re-skill around broader business-relevant disciplines. “You get to keep your job,” he said, bluntly. “Why do I have to provide incentives for people to do what they should already be doing? I think there is a natural progression in terms of the roles changing." - This guy sounds like a tool. Really you just expect someone to learn and get certified in something because you say so without anything? Anyone from Australia that can chime in on this place? I imagine a high turnover rate with a lot of temp staff.

This guy not only drank but is regurgitating the Kool Aid from HP, considering the summit was sponsored by HP.

Systems Admins aren’t going to disappear from the work force. I do see a lot of jobs joining Network and Systems Admins and Systems Admins and Desktop support but there will always be a need for their skill set.

I'm in Aus and I've never heard of them. Just another mining company in the middle of no where. Alot of the senior execs on this side of the pond got here by sitting in the same company for 40 years without any real skills especially in the little back waters that no one wants to work in.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can see consolidation becoming the norm for corporations with a worldwide presence but for small and medium sized businesses or corporations with multiple divisions I think it will be quite a long time before this becomes the norm.

On the other hand I think the world governments are going to realize hopefully sooner rather than later that off shoring storage opens you up for all kinds of potential issues. Already companies can't seem to pull their head out of their butts when it comes to protecting information let alone put it somewhere overseas being serviced by who the heck knows.
  • Options
    techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dang... I've been studying so hard for my RHCSA too. Not that I believe the article at all, but if SysAdmin is a dead end, what should one focus on instead?
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I dont think sys admin will go anywhere anywhen soon. Probably never in my lifetime.
    Technology keeps evolving, even if some tasks die, some other will pop up, guess whats called the guy who does that? Sys Admin.

If something, I think DBAs responsabilities and in some scenarios the position will fade away due the Cloud technology boom.
    Those things just back up alone, do reports alone, all authomatic. Need a query? just click clickity here and there and press start
    meh
  • Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    I dont think sys admin will go anywhere anywhen soon. Probably never in my lifetime.
    Technology keeps evolving, even if some tasks die, some other will pop up, guess whats called the guy who does that? Sys Admin.

If something, I think DBAs responsabilities and in some scenarios the position will fade away due the Cloud technology boom.
    Those things just back up alone, do reports alone, all authomatic. Need a query? just click clickity here and there and press start

Sounds like you have very little experience as a DBA or you were being extremely sarcastic. You cannot be serious?

This article seems highly out of touch with the current market. Some of these people should really look outside of what they are doing and see how relevant sys admin jobs, dba, techs, network engineers, etc still are. I dont see any of those positions going away anytime soon.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    If something, I think DBAs responsabilities and in some scenarios the position will fade away due the Cloud technology boom. Those things just back up alone, do reports alone, all authomatic. Need a query? just click clickity here and there and press start

Yeah, ok....that's not exactly quite ALL the functions of a DBA.....heck, running queries isn't even a DBA's job. (Unless of course, he's also that shop's database developer...but a DBA's job is to make sure that query that was developed can run...)

A DBAs main function is the safeguarding of an organization's data. That's going to be an inhouse function.

My biggest takeaway from that article is that Vito Forte is the biggest tool imaginable [And I'll say that in my best Crocodile Dundee voice...] I only agreed with these statements from the article:
    Internal IT shops, the speakers emphasised, have to reinvent themselves as “services brokers” that are responsive to business needs, rather than technologists.

“understand what the business wants, and either match it with the solutions available in the market or take the business problem to the service provider and vendor community to build a solution. “In terms of skills, you need someone who can talk to the business in plain, down to earth terms, without the technical jargon, to find out what they want and bridge the gap to the IT department to build that for them,”

I have been making statements that support the above all along. IT folks NEED to align themselves with the business that they support. And for the MSP crowd that want to run the yap about how IT is the business....how many MSPes can exist before that market is saturated?

In-house IT isn't going to go anywhere. By the time it does, I'll hopefully be retired and living in the mountains of Wyoming writing children stories about the chupacabra. LMAO....I forget who wrote that on here, but that was funny. [My bad]
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I was very specific on certain responsibilities.
    I still think DBAs are way more than a few clicks.
    But take a small business office for example that dont need any complex DB work at all.
    Some cloud storage with maybe some hired extrenal guy will be able to handle it.

And regarding reports not being part of a DBA duty, yeah
    and when I was a network admin I did reports, now as a system admin I do OPs and sometimes even market work.
    I dont know how it was before, but nowadays a lot of places give many tasks including some not exactly usual for certain position.
    System Admins doing support jobs, call center jobs, DBA doing reports and pivoting excel docs etc etc
    This is very common today, thats why I also say "maybe some responsabilities will shift or be handled by the cloud system".
    meh