Options

ok i figured out the path i wanna take..

so i figure with some study time I can get the n+ sec + & server + and CCent. I would like to move more into a network admin role.. I think this is it.. THen maybe take the network admin major at WGU and get a degree...

what do you guys think ?
WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.

Comments

• Options
    Novalith478Novalith478 Member Posts: 151
    so i figure with some study time I can get the n+ sec + & server + and CCent. I would like to move more into a network admin role.. I think this is it.. THen maybe take the network admin major at WGU and get a degree...

what do you guys think ?

I just skipped N+ and went right to CCENT. I don't have my Sec+ yet though, don't know if I should get that.
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    that CCent is tough.. I looked at some of the practice questions.. that net + is a good test . It really teaches you networking 101.. CCent is more in depth..
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:

• Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    I think every IT major at WGU requires you to get the net+ anyway, doesn't it? Why get the server+? Much better off getting the net+ I would think. Also, CCENT is a great option if you want to be a network admin but it's a lot harder than any CompTIA exam, I'm studying for it now.
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tr1x wrote: »
    I think every IT major at WGU requires you to get the net+ anyway, doesn't it? Why get the server+? Much better off getting the net+ I would think. Also, CCENT is a great option if you want to be a network admin but it's a lot harder than any CompTIA exam, I'm studying for it now.

That very same fact seems to be echoed thruoghout these forums, sounds to me Like CCENT has more weight than Network+, but then again CCENT is Cisco specific, where as N+ is vendor neutral?
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I really liked network + it was a great certification to get and the knowledge I obtained while studying was very helpful. Networking was a serious weakness, now it's not anymore.

Some of the guys I managed at the last job had the CCENT and they all said it wasn't to bad, but they couldn't pass the CCNA. They said it was too difficult. I think you can get N+ and the CCENT.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    quinnyfly wrote: »
    That very same fact seems to be echoed thruoghout these forums, sounds to me Like CCENT has more weight than Network+, but then again CCENT is Cisco specific, where as N+ is vendor neutral?

net + is vendor neutral but like my one professor told me back in the Cisco academy, switching is switching and routing is routing. the CCENT will teach you all the basics and vendor neutral stuff you need to know and then dig into Cisco proprietary things.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Higherho

I agree if you are going to be doing actual networking or strive to go for the CCNA/CCENT, but if you are on the helpdesk or other parts of IT net plus is nice because it gives you a broad / high level view of the technology. You actually understand how the data transfers and the different protocols, which I found very helpful.

Infact I was doing networking monitoring and network + helped me piece a lot of the real world knowledge I had together.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    N2IT wrote: »
    Higherho

I agree if you are going to be doing actual networking or strive to go for the CCNA/CCENT, but if you are on the helpdesk or other parts of IT net plus is nice because it gives you a broad / high level view of the technology. You actually understand how the data transfers and the different protocols, which I found very helpful.

Infact I was doing networking monitoring and network + helped me piece a lot of the real world knowledge I had together.

I agree with you their. I was just stating the whole vendor neutral thing, I think if you have the CCENT you will be more than capable of passing the Network +. That's how I felt about security + it helped me understand some basic security standards and even helped me at my job in terms of the high level / broad scope it offers.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I must say Comptia is vendor neutral but; the funny thing about Network + is it had more Cisco terms than anything else. I used the Todd Lammle Sybex kit which had a lot of material that included an practice exam etc... If you are new to the field or don't feel overwhelmed with Cisco CCENT/CCNA jump right in. However, don't rush yourself into Cisco if you aren't ready just knock out the Network +. Then gain the fundamentals which will make Cisco life more simple to gasp.
  • Options
    im kinda the whole department at my job... Set up the accounts in AD, set up emails in Exchange. Keep a backup log on servers. Keep them cleaned with air. Disable accts in AD. wire offices setup new laptops and mobile phones in AD. and answer help desk calls... no designing but alot of support work.

• Options
    I must say Comptia is vendor neutral but; the funny thing about Network + is it had more Cisco terms than anything else. I used the Todd Lammle Sybex kit which had a lot of material that included an practice exam etc... If you are new to the field or don't feel overwhelmed with Cisco CCENT/CCNA jump right in. However, don't rush yourself into Cisco if you aren't ready just knock out the Network +. Then gain the fundamentals which will make Cisco life more simple to gasp.

thanks guys I think I am just gonna focus on the network + then CCent path first.. Then see what happens.. already ordered the wendell book..