Options

Cert to take after Security+

ackerman17ackerman17 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the Security+ test today and passed with a 829. My question is...what is the next logical test to take?

I have been in the IT field for 10+ years, I finally decided to get something on paper that says I know what I say I know.

Comments

• Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have been in the security field with that 10 years of experience, why not look at the SSCP or the CISSP. The CASP might also be another option (although some say not just yet, wait till its seriously recognised!). As you have probably found out, there are several security certs, hard part I reckon, is knowing which path you'd like and which one to take.
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on the pass.

I agree wih quinnyfly. It depends on how much experience you have, but SSCP and CISSP should be on your list. The CISSP is a very tough exam and many people that pursure it do the SSCP first as a stepping stone. With the security knowledge you gained from the Security+ exam, you'll find that have some of the knowledge for the SSCP but don't take it for granted. It is much harder than the Security+.

HTH,
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ackerman17 wrote: »
    I took the Security+ test today and passed with a 829. My question is...what is the next logical test to take?

I have been in the IT field for 10+ years, I finally decided to get something on paper that says I know what I say I know.

10+ years maybe the CASP. You meet the suggested requirements and it's viewed as a very technically challenging certification. You will also be one of few with this certification.

I wouldn't automatically follow all the trends. And like Quinnfly and Darril mentioned SSCP/CISSP are nice ones as well. Maybe set out to do all 3, that would be a hefty goal but it would show you know security.
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Geez, imagine having all three and 10 yrs of experience, how good would that look on any resume?
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    ackerman17ackerman17 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the replies!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Quinn no kidding. If I had 10 years of security experience I would get all 3 mentioned. I mean serious 10 years that's your JOB. I would be all over it.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I would really look at what I want to do the next few years. You can look on the web for security related jobs and what certifications that is needed. The normal next step is CISSP or even C|EH which can enhance your knowledge base and bank account. It really depends on where you see yourself in the future for working in regards to the private sector or government areas.

*Food for thought cost etc...
    Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) | ISC2 | GoCertify

Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) | EC Council | GoCertify