Earning CISSP

ToBeOrNotToBeToBeOrNotToBe Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings guys, i would like to ask a question that has been giving me a hard time lately, the thing is that i'm B.Sc holder in Computer Engineering, and i did lots of training periods while i was in college, the problem is that i'm so interested in security, since in my area, qualified candidates are rare, so i was thinking to take the CISSP, but i got to know about their EXP requirements, so i wonder if the MSc in Info Sec can help in addition to "Starters Certs" cause the demands for security is really high over here, ur prompt reply is highly appreciated.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    so i wonder if the MSc in Info Sec can help
    I'm currently in an online Masters in InfoSec program at Capella University (www.capella.edu). Capella's curriculum has been approved by the (ISC)2 as covering all ten domains of the CISSP. I won't say that getting your Masters in InfoSec at Capella alone will guarantee a pass on the CISSP exam, but it'll sure put you well on your way to a career in InfoSec (or so I'm hoping).

I'd also like to point out that it's experience that employers look at the most, not the certs. With that in mind, the Air Force also has great opportunities for starting an InfoSec career.

And all bold? The only thing worse is all caps! icon_wink.gif
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You must.......

Have a minimum of four years of direct full-time security professional work experience in one or more of the ten domains of the (ISC)² CISSP® CBK® or three years of direct full-time security professional work experience in one or more of the ten domains of the CISSP® CBK® with a college degree. Additionally, a Master's Degree in Information Security from a National Center of Excellence can substitute for one year toward the four-year requirement.

So you could check with ISC2 and see if your school is an approved center of excellence.
  • ToBeOrNotToBeToBeOrNotToBe Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, thanks for the reply, and sorry for the Bold!!, anyway seems i didn't make myself clear, what i meant is that i did network design and implementation including security for around 4+ years, but it wasn't all security you know what i mean, i did also systems administration for almost the same period, the thing is that, it's not easy to get a "Direct Security" job role, therefore i was thinking to overcome those requirements by earning a masters degree in one of the security fields in addition to the other certs, i know about how experience can improve my chances, but as i stated "It's Not All Security"

Thanks again guys, waiting for your reply
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    keatron, you're saying that a Bachelors knocks off one year from the CISSP requirements, and a Masters from an approved programs knocks off a second year? Is that true for the SSCP as well? If so, I'm a little closer to giving the (ISC)2 some of my money than I thought!

ToBeOrNotToBe, it is my opinion that the Masters in InfoSec is worthwhile if you can dedicate the 2-3 years towards getting it. Make sure that you research well the available programs. Those from accredited institutions and with blessings from the (ISC)2 and the NSA are preferred.
    Yes JD, you read it right. So if anybody has ever said a Master's isn't worth it in IT, think again.
  • Lysergic DiamoneLysergic Diamone Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    implementation including security for around 4+ years, but it wasn''t all security you know what i mean....

How much security was it? To validate the experience requirements the ISC2 will want a resume and a letter from a CISSP backing your endorsement. I don''t know that they followed up on the resume but my boss (a CISSP in good standing) wrote a nice letter confirming his knowledge of my experience and extolling my qualification for the credential.

Isn''t there an associate designation for those with the knowledge but not the experience?
    Lysergicdiamone.jpg
    implementation including security for around 4+ years, but it wasn''t all security you know what i mean....

How much security was it? To validate the experience requirements the ISC2 will want a resume and a letter from a CISSP backing your endorsement. I don''t know that they followed up on the resume but my boss (a CISSP in good standing) wrote a nice letter confirming his knowledge of my experience and extolling my qualification for the credential.

Isn''t there an associate designation for those with the knowledge but not the experience?

Yes, there is.