Just Passed CCNA and looking for CCNP Book for Route

Ramair2kRamair2k Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Which book is a good read? Wendel Odom's books are a bit dry for my liking however I will purchase if necessary and or no other options. Any other CCNP books out there worth buying?

Thanks

Comments

• bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For route, the Foundation Learning guide and Official Certification guide are the 2 most popular. I went with both (plus CBTNuggets).

The Nuggets give you the very broad overview. Then the FLG and OCG to really hit the details. I did the FLG first and found it to be somewhere between CBT and the OCG detail-wise, but that could have been my being somewhat inexperienced with the material (so glossing over somewhat), rather than the book itself.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • PuffyPuffy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You could also check out the INE CCNP videos, they are more thorough in covering the materials versus CBT albeit a bit dry.

In terms of books, I have the OCG and I don't have much complaints about it, but some members in this forum seem to prefer the FLG over the OCG for ROUTE. For the SWITCH however, I've read that the OCG seems to be lacking in complete coverage of the exam objectives while the FLG is flooded with errors. NetworkVeteran recommended the SWITCH Simplified book for it.
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The ROUTE FLG is a wonderful resource. Even though I've already passed ROUTE, I refer to it all the time. The OCG is a great book too. I used both. The memory tables in the OCG are especially helpful.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    I personally used the OCG, which comes with the Boson exam simulator cd, so that's nice (FLG doesn't come with this, right?). However, I'd go to the bookstore frequently and use it as a library.. reading large portions of the FLG to see if I could get further insight. The FLG does go a little more in depth on topics, but at the same time, if you read sections of the OCG several times, put in crazy lab hours, and read several online sources for information, you'll get your in depthness one way or another.

To sum up I'd say you can't go wrong with either. As long as you lab the technologies like crazy, and plan to use Internet resources as well (Cisco docs were great for certain topics, sometimes giving me more insight than the ocg or flg did)
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Routing FLG was all I used for theory, and I achieved a high score. And I enjoyed Diane's writing style to boot. :)
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    The FLG gets my vote too

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    She needs to write more books, so she can get on more book covers.

FLG reads more like a college book.
    OCG reads more like a study book.

...the difference? OCG tailors itself to the test more over than the FLG which tries to explore everything.

I found FLG to be better, content wise to learn. OCG is more painful, but good.

For SWITCH... well... Im still really confuzzled about that one :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Roguetadhg wrote: »

I doubt that's her. She's probably someone's EA they hauled out from her desk for a photo shoot. She looks about 25 and Diane has 25+ years of networking experience.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't crush my hopes! Don't tell my other half...

I mean look at Turgon's avatar! Proof of beautiful women in the networking field!
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccie/55969-ccie-wannabees.html
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Don't crush my hopes! Don't tell my other half...

I mean look at Turgon's avatar! Proof of beautiful women in the networking field!
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccie/55969-ccie-wannabees.html

I thought Trugon was a dude and that was some girl he had stand in front of some Cisco kit :P

Diane Teare photo: Interview with Diane Teare, Top International Authority and Author in Networking, Training, and E-Learning - Canadian IT Manager's Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
  • PuffyPuffy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lol stop looking at the girl and get back to the books ..... icon_study.gif
  • Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□

FLG reads more like a college book.
    OCG reads more like a study book.

...the difference? OCG tailors itself to the test more over than the FLG which tries to explore everything.

I found FLG to be better, content wise to learn. OCG is more painful, but good.

For SWITCH... well... Im still really confuzzled about that one :P

I've found that coming from just passing the CCNA that the FLG is just too verbose and long winded - the OCG is concise, and more importantly much better presented and laid out than the FLG.

Nate
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Wow you guys are really split on the issue. I just got a 50% off coupon for ciscopress.com and am going to buy some CCNP books. I know I'm getting Routing TCP/IP vol 1, you can't beat $45 for that one. I'm probablty getting the FLG for ROUTE, not sure about SWITCH and TSHOOT.

What do you guys think about the lab manuals or quick reference or command guides?
    The lab manual is great and you can get it for free: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/10182-102-1-37273/CCNP%20ROUTE%206.0%20SLM.pdf

Haven't used the command reference.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012