XGA and SXGA screen issue

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I have just fitted a replacement LCD screen on my laptop and even though I bought the correct model of screen I am unable to get anything higher than 1024 X 768 which leads me to believe I have just purchased an XGA

My original screen is N150P5 -L01 Rev.C1 for my HP NC6320

This is the screen I have just bought and fitted which is exact same model

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Is there a magic driver that I need to install?

Any help would be great, this is the 2nd XGA screen I have now bought for my laptop so annoyed isn't the word

Thanks

Lee

Comments

• Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Control Panel - Display - Change Display Settings - Advanced Settings - Monitor - Here it says Monitor Type "Generic PnP Monitor"

This is why I cannot get higher than 1024x768

I have fitted an SXGA+ LCD and Windows hasn't installed the correct driver

Can someone please help me find a driver for my screen I have looked but cannot find

LCD screen is Chi Mei N150P5 -L01 Rev.C1 for my HP NC6320

Thanks

Lee
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    On that same menu there should be an option like "hide modes this display does not support". Uncheck that and try choosing another resolution. SXGA+ is 1400x1050 so try selecting it to see if it works well (or at all) on your display.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    On that same menu there should be an option like "hide modes this display does not support". Uncheck that and try choosing another resolution. SXGA+ is 1400x1050 so try selecting it to see if it works well (or at all) on your display.

Tried that, nothing. It does let me update the driver to Super VGA 1600x1200 but when I go to change resolution only the same options are available, 1024x768 and 800x600

Any other suggestions?
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Lee H wrote: »
    Control Panel - Display - Change Display Settings - Advanced Settings - Monitor - Here it says Monitor Type "Generic PnP Monitor"

This is why I cannot get higher than 1024x768

I have fitted an SXGA+ LCD and Windows hasn't installed the correct driver

Can someone please help me find a driver for my screen I have looked but cannot find

LCD screen is Chi Mei N150P5 -L01 Rev.C1 for my HP NC6320

Thanks

Lee

You've obviously not installed an SXGA LCD. There isn't anything you can do and there are no fixes. The part source you bought it from didn't list the part properly, which is common amongst models like yours that have multiple display options for their screens, or you did not read the listing carefully. Either way, you are stuck with what you have.
    You've obviously not installed an SXGA LCD. There isn't anything you can do and there are no fixes. The part source you bought it from didn't list the part properly, which is common amongst models like yours that have multiple display options for their screens, or you did not read the listing carefully. Either way, you are stuck with what you have.

Thing is Waffle I have bought the exact same screen that was originally in my laptop I can show you the same sticker on both that report same model, all google searches advise that this screen IS....SXGA+

Question is......Why wont windows see it as one?
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd remove the graphics & monitor from within Device Manager, reboot & see if it makes any difference... maybe before that try Microsoft Update and see if there is a latest device driver listed there that might make a difference?
    Tried that, nothing.
    What does that mean? Do you see 1400x1050, and what happens if you select it (if possible)? Also what OS are you using?
    MentholMoose
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    I'd remove the graphics & monitor from within Device Manager, reboot & see if it makes any difference... maybe before that try Microsoft Update and see if there is a latest device driver listed there that might make a difference?

Done that, also Windows update does not give me a driver!
    What does that mean? Do you see 1400x1050, and what happens if you select it (if possible)? Also what OS are you using?

It means, I have removed the tick box "show compatible hardware" which reveals standard monitor types "super vga 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200 and 800x600" clicking on either of these changed the device bit no other resolution options appear other that 800x600 and 1024x728

Any help would be great because am going to admit defeat and sell this one and buy another the one exact same that has correct res of 1400 x 1050

Thanks
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Have you installed the latest graphics driver? Looks like the hardware causing the problem though... The only way to be sure would be to have a fresh copy of Windows on it and that's a hassle...

Graphics driver installed by Microsoft and then by HP

Installed Windows twice!

Will be selling and buying a new one, odd one shame I cant figure it out!!
    Graphics driver installed by Microsoft and then by HP

Installed Windows twice!

Will be selling and buying a new one, odd one shame I cant figure it out!!
    What video card is it? You can try installing the driver from the video card manufacturer instead of the default Microsoft driver, or one from HP. Usually video card drivers include a configuration utility so you can check if it includes any monitor configuration options.

Also you could try PowerStrip. It's a feature-rich utility that lets you configure many aspects of the graphics card and monitor, including creating custom resolutions.
    EnTech Taiwan | Utilities | PowerStrip
    MentholMoose