Failed ICND2 yesterday

razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, normally lurk rather than post on here but just wanted to share my failure, I was absolutely gutted to miss the pass mark by 7 points. I took too much time on the questions and then didn't have enough time to answer the last 2 questions that were sims.

Anyway going to try again in 2 weeks.

Good luck everyone

Comments

• jafarNarnarjafarNarnar Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ahh yea i feel you man i failed mine last week with an 818 as well. Don't let it discourage you, i retook it yesterday and passed with flying colors. that's rough they gave you the sims at the very end, the clock is the worst part of the test. good luck with your retake!
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    razar: Sorry to hear. I am sure 2 weeks from now the beer will be flowing.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Ramair2kRamair2k Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get back on the wagon and try again, you will pass for sure. Chalk it up to an experience and now you can say you know what to expect from the exam. Good Luck!
  • razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea hopefully next time round I can get it, honestly think i just panicked a bit when presented with the sims with only a couple mins left. They weren't even that hard but when the clock is running down it made it difficult to concentrate.

I've done msce exams and the ccent and this was the first occasion I had an issue with time so I'll have to make sure i can answer the questions instantly next time. I think I just over-read the questions too much to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thanks for the moral support!!
  • ASUSTeKASUSTeK Member Posts: 148
    Man that sucks. Passing one of those SIMS would have helped. I think Cisco loves to see people sweat blood for their exams damn that clock. Good luck on your next try. I have my exam scheduled for Wednesday!
    The Begining Of Wisdom Is "I Don't Know".
  • alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
    I have my scheduled for 2 weeks. I've been going over everything again and again but really want to get it over with now. Really want to pass this and move on to the CCNP
    Good luck Asustek and alliasneo. Doing one of the sims I think would definitely have helped. Oh well I know what to expect now, going to book the retake soon. Been studying most of this weekend when I've had spare minutes so want to try it again.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    razar wrote: »
    Yea hopefully next time round I can get it, honestly think i just panicked a bit when presented with the sims with only a couple mins left. They weren't even that hard but when the clock is running down it made it difficult to concentrate.

I've done msce exams and the ccent and this was the first occasion I had an issue with time so I'll have to make sure i can answer the questions instantly next time. I think I just over-read the questions too much to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thanks for the moral support!!

You can do it!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • sreenivasulusreenivasulu Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't worry friend
    Will get it next time

all the best icon_surprised.gif
  • binargsbinargs Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just took it today, got a 790 / 900 with 825 being passing. i am pretty down right now. it's been 2 years since i took icnd1 and for whatever reason some of icnd1 questions were on the exam... bah
  • ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    binargs wrote: »
    just took it today, got a 790 / 900 with 825 being passing. i am pretty down right now. it's been 2 years since i took icnd1 and for whatever reason some of icnd1 questions were on the exam... bah

What areas are you scoring low in? You should be getting a read-out of the topics/categories and what percentage you got right. Take that information to heart, study up on those areas, lab it up if the sims are giving you trouble. Give yourself another 2 weeks and really hedge it out. Purchase a Boson practice exam and do that (really helped me for ICND1).

The most important thing is: keep you chin up. Get up, brush yourself off; figure out what you did awesome at and what you need to work on. Keep focus and don't lose sight of the prize...you are literally RIGHT THERE, your score is very close. Don't give up, you can do this!!!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • binargsbinargs Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the words, i am gonna try to go back in a week and retake the exam. i hope i don't fail the second time.
    i had the boson exam it came with the book with 153 questions. i found the boson question to be manipulative and even at the icnd2 level it insists on giving alot of subnet questions.
    on th
    e summary it said i had probhlem with acl, nat, and vlans, but in boson those were my strongest area. so i am confused.

Keep your chin up.

I retook the exam today and I passed with 972. I had 100% on a few of the sections from my first failed exam and I didn't answer the final 2 questions so I just worked on the weak areas all weekend. It was bugging me no end that I failed buy such a small amount.

Keep at it and you will get there!

So now I'm moving onto ccnp, going to start asap while im still in the studying rhythm. Does anyone know if there is a recommended track? I'm thinking to start with switch.

Also any recommended study guides/video courses/practice exams?

Thanks guys
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Switch is generally recommended first.
    However, I started with ROUTE because I don't have switches and I would rather have real switches to do SWITCH.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great work done on the pass and nice score. I enjoy this group since people fail with encouragement and then go out with a pass whatever exam; that's cool.
    Thanks guys!

Yea I've just been reading up a bit and I think it might be better for me to start with ROUTE since I don't have any switches but can hopefully use gns3 for routing.

I'm thinking of buying the ROUTE FLG but I can't see if it comes with a pdf as I like to read on my phone when I'm on the train. Anybody know if it does?
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The CCNP books lack in PDFs out of the gate.

the OCG (Official Cert Guide) has dvd, but no e-book pdf included.
    the FLG (Foundation Learning Guide) has no media.

I prefer killing trees when it comes to books.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• dirtyharrydirtyharry Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    “Failure is the tuition you pay for success.”
  • ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    dirtyharry wrote: »
    “Failure is the tuition you pay for success.”

I like this quote.
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    thanks for the words, i am gonna try to go back in a week and retake the exam. i hope i don't fail the second time.
    i had the boson exam it came with the book with 153 questions. i found the boson question to be manipulative and even at the icnd2 level it insists on giving alot of subnet questions.
    on th
    e summary it said i had probhlem with acl, nat, and vlans, but in boson those were my strongest area. so i am confused.

The questions that come with the book aren't actually the Boson exams. Odom uses the exam engine Boson developed the deliver questions he wrote himself. I tried the questions that came with his book and purchased the Boson ExSim Max exam and found the ExSim Max exam harder than the included exam in Odoms book.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    razar wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

Yea I've just been reading up a bit and I think it might be better for me to start with ROUTE since I don't have any switches but can hopefully use gns3 for routing.

I'm thinking of buying the ROUTE FLG but I can't see if it comes with a pdf as I like to read on my phone when I'm on the train. Anybody know if it does?

None of the hard copies come with a PDF unfortunately but they do sell PDF version for about 10 bucks if you watch the ciscopress daily deals. You can usually pick up all the CCNP books with 2 to 3 weeks if you keep an eye on it.

Personally I would recommend ROUTE first. There is enough material from ROUTE that crosses over to SWITCH that it will be a more efficient path to go ROUTE --> SWITCH --> TSHOOT. ROUTE is the hardest of the three IMO followed closely by SWITCH. Taking TSHOOT in a couple of weeks but i've heard it's significanty easier.

CCNP really raises the bar from CCNA and the journey will turn you into a great engineer if you take the time to learn the material and not just study enough to pass. Although the CCNP exams are difficult enough, that you pretty much have to know everything in the book to pass, so you'll learn it whether you want to or not icon_smile.gif
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...