Which test should I take first

Hi Guys,

My CCNP is about to expire next February so its time to start hitting the books again. I figure I study for the CCIP since it seems to be very useful for the ultimate goal (CCIE). I have been thinking about taking the MPLS first but by reading the posts it seems that the BGP test will be best to take before the MPLS.

My question is:
1- Should I take them in the following order? ROUTE - QOS - BGP - MPLS
2- Can I start with MPLS?

What would be the best way to do it?

Thanks.
‎"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing,
you'll never get it done"

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Whatever you are most comfortable with.

I'd say BGP before MPLS but if you are already pretty knowledgeable of BGP sure start with MPLS.

Also if your BSCI is still good you might be able to skip ROUTE.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    QoS first, hands down. It's the easiest. Lowest learning curve. You'll get your CCNP renewed and then have more time to finish the rest.
    -Daniel
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    In terms of difficulty I'd say (going from easiest to hardest) ROUTE > BGP > MPLS > QoS. If your BSCI has a while till it expires, you should go for BGP first given that you will already have a decent understanding of eBGP from the BSCI exam. QoS I thought was the hardest to study for, trying to remember all the details for QoS on Catalyst switches, and how to configure the WRED profiles etc was a real *****!

Some good materials for your CCIP studies:
    1. Internet Routing Architectures
    2. MPLS Fundamentals
    3. QoS Official Cert Guide
  • gaby_978gaby_978 Member Posts: 222
    Well MY BSCI expires in September this year. I really dont think I have the time to complete all required exams before then. Between work, wife, daughter and new born I barely have time for myself. So I guess my options will be ROUTE at this time. I have dealt very little with QoS so I was planning on leaving it for last.

So I guess ROUTE > BGP > MPLS > QoS makes the most sense for my paricular situation.
    ‎"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing,
    you'll never get it done"
  • warriorfan808warriorfan808 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat as you, but didn't know about my BSCI expiring. I did the BGP > QOS and now studying for the MPLS. Of course, now I find out that I have to go back and do the Route.

I feel that you should just get the ROUTE out of the way, so you'll be exposed to more advanced Routing, BGP because it will go into more specifics, QOS after BGP because I wanted to have a BGP background to do the QPPB labs and then MPLS last because I wanted to mess with the EXP bit in MPLS an know BGP to do a MP-BGP lab which should come in handy with the MPLS VPNs. Haven't finished the MPLS portion yet, so not sure if this thought process is correct, but it sounds ok. We were introduced to MPLS during the old CCNP, ISCW test I believe, and it just seems like a decent plan.