N10-004 or N10-005?

EruMaisEruMais Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm working on trying to quickly study for and take Net+ after just finishing A+. I have study materials for N10-004 such as UCertify and Labsim which WGU provides. I have the carryover knowledge from A+ along with having listened to Trainsignal's material for Net+, so I've studied a bit on it. Would it be difficult to go for the N10-005 or is there a significant change between the two? Anyone know what was added/removed?

I'm not sure if WGU will switch me to the N10-005 Labsim/Ucert version or if they are still using N10-004 so it might be a moot point.

Thanks everyone for your input. This forum community is awesome.

Comments

• ChronoChrono Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Trying to decide this for myself too. Am wondering if one version of the exam will help more than the other in terms of employment?
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally I would go for the latest cert if you can, also check the exam objectives from CompTIA to review the differences between the two exams: Exam Objectives

It looks as though N10-004 will expire on August 31st 2012. You must be minful of the fact that an employer will perhaps favour you having the very latest cert rather than an older version, as it represents the currency of your skills and knowledge.

Actually, since the N+ exam expects you to be conversant with ports and protocols, wireless standards, IP addressing, the OSI etc, I have posted some of my tables for you to use.
    The Wings of Technology
  • andremcullinsandremcullins Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    n10-005 is not hard at all. study the notes provided up top and it shouldn't be a problem. if you come across something you don't understand let us know.

and How was A+ was it difficult at all?

Congrats on the pass!!icon_cheers.gif
  • GeronimoGeronimo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Professor Messer on what's new in the latest Network+ cert.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqaf9_26woE&feature=youtu.be?t=32m35s

The discussion on what's new starts around 32:20.
  • EruMaisEruMais Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys... seriously helpful stuff. Looks like I'm going to tackle the N10-005.

andremcullins, A+ wasn't too bad. You do need to know the material fairly well, but like I said, I was taking practice tests and scoring around 85% before I just went ahead and signed up for it. Those scores are what I ended up with. Most study helps recommend you score 90-95% before you schedule them, but I was under a time crunch. If you have access to practice tests, I would highly recommend them. It helped me realize that I have a tendency to jump to conclusions after seeing key words in a question and end up getting them wrong even though I knew the right answer.
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    EruMais wrote: »
    It helped me realize that I have a tendency to jump to conclusions after seeing key words in a question and end up getting them wrong even though I knew the right answer.

Trust me, that's not just you, it's a CompTIA thing, they word em like that, even word them a little strange sometimes.....but it's their way!!
    The Wings of Technology
  • sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @quinnyfly

Thanks, man :)

@Chrono

As far as I can see N10-005 objectives are concentrated on Network Installation and Configuration 23% Network Concept 20%, and management 20%. This is what companies want.
    working on CCNA
  • ChronoChrono Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sys_teck wrote: »
    @Chrono

As far as I can see N10-005 objectives are concentrated on Network Installation and Configuration 23% Network Concept 20%, and management 20%. This is what companies want.

Good to know - I emailed Todd Lammle and he suggested 005 as well. I guess I'll do that, I was just curious if the 004 is easier. People keep emphasizing that employers won't know what version we took, and the certificate won't say either - but I feel having the latest cert will always look good. I'm guessing you're taking Sec+ too - what are your plans after that?
  • chuckster2rchuckster2r Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just passed my Security+ yesterday with a score of 811. I was stressed about it, but I passed. I have heard that Security+ is the hardest. What do you guys think? I want to go take my Net+ next and would like to know what you all think. Has anyone taken the new N10-005 test yet? I have been studying for the 003 and just saw there is a 005.

Thanks
    Thanks Great info,
    What do you guy think about all the testing sites like Pass 4 sure , braindump, actualcert? Are any of them worth it?

Thanks and keep up the great post
    Chuck
  • andremcullinsandremcullins Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i took the n10-005 test 2weeks ago. i got all my notes from this site and passed with a 787. the stuff u saw on sec+ will be on net+.

How did you feel about sec+? I think I want to get that next.
  • GIJOE1234GIJOE1234 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Chuck, did you take your course at Bragg?
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What do you guy think about all the testing sites like Pass 4 sure , braindump, actualcert? Are any of them worth it?

Thanks and keep up the great post
    Chuck

This is known as cheating. These companies steal valid test engines and sell them for profit. Not only is it illegal, but it is also illegal to use. Getting caught using this method (either through obtaining the questions or by suspicion though a person or computer of finishing a test in an unrealisting time) can strip your certs and ban you from obtaining more.

Also, brain dumping as it is called will not let you learn nor retain any information as you are only memorizing questions and answers.

Do yourself a favor and study the material by yourself. Not only will you have the skills as an IT professional, but you will save yourself the awkward interview. There has been countless stories on this board of managers interviewing candidates with the simplest of questions only to find out that they cannot answer correctly and dumped the exams. IT requires some serious technical interviewing.

There has also been stories of new hires who are so incompetent within the first days of a new job that they are looking for a new job the following week. Don't let this be you! Many small, shady IT "training" companies will take your money and provide you with **** with no care on whether you find a job let alone keep one with invalid skills.

Just today I met someone who claims they are studying for their CCNP Security and didnt know what a friggin crossover cable was!!!

Legitimately obtaining your certs is what will set you apart from incompetent so called "professionals" and will also reward you in the long run.

Its all about knowing your ****, not cheating it.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • osc241osc241 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is there any significant difference btwn 004 and 005?

hey there, am very much interested in doing n+, am seeking advice on where to start, any kind of help you may offer, study materials etc..
    thanx
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I contest with the posts above, the n10-005 exam is extremely easy, I took it last Wednesday. I do light networking at my current job and I redesigned a network from the ground up after Hurricane Sandy destroyed a entire WAN node in our NJ location all from within the HP Procurve CLI's; it was so much fun. (being a past COBOL programmer I'll take CLI's anyday - which is the most pointless language to be taught in college just saying!)

I studied on and off for about a month on top of my daily IT Manager roles at work which included networking/server administration, but I used the N10-005 Exam Cram book solely as my study material. The tear out Exam Cram **** sheet is what helped the most to really sick in terminology! I recommend it. here is the link: CompTIA Network+ N10-005 Authorized Exam Cram (4th Edition): Emmett Dulaney, Michael Harwood: 9780789749055: Amazon.com: Books

Best of luck to you!
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    osc241 wrote: »
    Is there any significant difference btwn 004 and 005?

The N10-004 is the previous exam of the network+ exam and N10-005 is the updated most recent network+ exam:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/network/91125-general-question-about-codes.html

Hope this certifies your curiosity. Good luck if you decide on taking the N+ exam!!
  • juicyjay36juicyjay36 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you quinnyfly for sharing those attachments.
  • DDWingateDDWingate Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It seems to me that 005 is much easier than 004. I think they simplified it down because 004 involves memorizing so much unnecessary stuff that is way above fundemental networking knowledge. Seriously, who needs to memorize the speeds of carrier lines? I can find that information out in 5 seconds on my netbook. Understanding concepts and how devices operate and think are much more important. You can't understand how a switch works in 5 seconds, and 005 emphasises that over 004's details.

I was so frustrated by the practice questions until I realized it was 004. I moved to 005 questions which were much easier, and frankly, more important. They've huegly refined it for the better
    www.historyofpleasantview.blogspot.com
    Doug's Declassified History of Pleasantview - The Second Greatest Story Ever Told!
    Subscribe Today!
  • BaackBaack Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmmm
    I had line speeds on my 005 exam