Options

Western Governors University?

Comments

• Options
    ITRajuyITRajuy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    In my opinion it would be. It would be a BS actually, though. There are quite a few people who either switched from Phoenix to go to WGU or chose WGU instead of Phoenix. Getting the certs while getting the degree does make WGU more appealing to most people.
    If you are already in the IT field it would definitely help you to get certs and a degree to get a better job in the field.
    I also attend UoP and I will not be getting my BS with them. I was on the WGU site and was wondering, the people who switched from UoP, did their credits transfer? I would hate to have wasted all that money at UoP for nothing icon_redface.gif.
  • Options
    arklingarkling Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    I'm a prospective student that is considering the MBA in IT Management. I'd love to hear any feedback (good, bad, general tips, etc.) anyone might offer me about the program and/or the school in general. and particularly interested in how recruiters/employers are accepting degrees from WGU since many employers in the past seem reluctant to properly accept online degrees, or seem to accept them as a 'lesser degree', I hope that unfortunate stigma is not as prevalent.

Thanks everyone, and all the best !
    ~Ark
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    arkling wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm a prospective student that is considering the MBA in IT Management. I'd love to hear any feedback (good, bad, general tips, etc.) anyone might offer me about the program and/or the school in general. and particularly interested in how recruiters/employers are accepting degrees from WGU since many employers in the past seem reluctant to properly accept online degrees, or seem to accept them as a 'lesser degree', I hope that unfortunate stigma is not as prevalent.

Thanks everyone, and all the best !
    ~Ark

Decent school for IT undergrad and IT graduate security degrees. For MBA, most folks would do better with AACSB-accredited schools or locally known B&Ms. If tuition cost is a consideration, comparison shop Chadron State College, Amberton University or Jacksonville State University while looking at WGU.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »
    Decent school for IT undergrad and IT graduate security degrees. For MBA, most folks would do better with AACSB-accredited schools or locally known B&Ms. If tuition cost is a consideration, comparison shop Chadron State College, Amberton University or Jacksonville State University while looking at WGU.

That would be my general advice as well if you can. On the other hand several Grad students gave some great stories about how their new MBA helped them out. If anyone is interested join the WGU Alumni LinkedIn group to learn more.
  • Options
    arklingarkling Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback PeteDude and veritas_libertas!

I'm a technology guy through and through but I've been looking for something non technology to get experience and education in, both for my personal growth and to add to my resume. My thought process would like (and likely excel better) at this program due to the emphasis in I.T. Management. I'll keep shopping around. Thanks again for the feedback, gives me a bit to think about.
  • Options
    russcarrrusscarr Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am in the process of possibly attending this University for a lot of the reasons posted within this forum but I am having a very difficult time getting simple answers from the admittance staff.

1. WGU credits applying to other degrees within there own school....I am being told that this cannot be done and that you have to retake the classes already taken if they are the exact same class from a different degree. This does not make any sense to me.

2. I want to know who would be assigned as a mentor prior to paying for school. This is important to me as I would like to meet the person who is going to be supporting/advising me over the next two years. I am being told that this cannot be done. Again, this makes no sense.

3. I requested to view the online application being used since this is how classes are going to be assigned, assignments issues, and for basic usage. Again, no go!

4. There is a statement in the literature that the Mentor decides what is required as far as books, videos, and or software for each class. I requested this list so I have an idea of the outside costs of tuition. Again, no answer.

Because I am not new to business I have asked that these items be put in writing so that there is no confusion later on down the road and the response was "it is not WGU's policy to provide anything in writing" which again is not very reassuring.

I had to request a new person as my registering adviser once already as the first person was so new that he could not provide any answers that were off script. (you can tell that they are following a very specific line of answers and questions by reading from some sort of Q&A setup.

I have been approved, money is allocated, but at this point I am ready to bail on this school as they do not seem to be very professional.

One of the last questions I had was in regard to the actual graduation rate which is now at 22%.....horrible.

Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just move on?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    1. Not true, I actually started in an ED Science teacher program and the Critical thinking class i completed transferred to the IT critical thinking class. They also used a WGU Visual Arts course to meet the ethics liberal arts requirement.

2. Partially correct. You are assigned a mentor as you start EWB. You are not obligated tuition wise if you are a financial aid student until you finish EWB. However if you are paying out of pocket you have to pay 50% of the first term about 2 weeks prior. However this isn't an issue as it is very easy to switch mentors. You also have the added benefit of being on this forum so you know what is good, bad, and where to get additional advice.

3. ? Not sure what you are asking. If you are talking about the classes the model is closer to Vo-Tech, you must take or transfer all the courses within a specific program. You can't pick and choose.

4.The Course of Study covers books. As far as I've seen there is no requirement to get all of them. It all depends on the learning resources you need to pass a course. Some mentors may be more controlling however as your progress reflects on them.

I seriously doubt that any school will meet those conditions in writing as policies can vary from dept to dept. As far as grad rates WGU actually beats national averages.
    From 2009:
    Online University Ranking | Online Education | WGU
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Has anyone noticed that some of the courses have been changed?
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    they have

i asked my mentor about that she said the classes ill need to get a degree havent changed from when i started they just updated there curreculim to match what other universities in there area are doing
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From what I noticed about the NDM program:

1) They changed the course code from IT Fundamentals II from TEV1 to AXV1. (With an additional 1 CU for 4 CUs total) IT Fundamentals III has the same course code and same 3 CUs.

2) AKV1 is now BOV1 for Javascript. (Oh and an additional CU has been added it seems for 4 CUs instead of AKV1's 3...but it is for the same CIW Javascript certification?!)

3) QLC1 has been dropped and now the math is a total of 4 CUs split up between GAC1 (Finite Mathematics) and HHT1 (Finite Mathematics Applications). This is in addition to QLT1 and BAC1 if you need to take that.

The liberal arts stuff seems to be unchanged...AFAICT. You can look at the changes yourself for the NDM program here: http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/BS_IT_NTDM.pdf

Personally, if I can choose between staying the course that was given, or going to this new route, I'm staying the course. I hate math, and the number of CUs (as evidenced by LAT1) don't mean crap. I'm probably better off just sticking with QLC1 and QLT1 and just doing the remainder of non-MS classes as it seems as though it would take 2-3 months to do them all.

As long as WGU isn't going to force a change on me, I guess I'm alright with it. :)
  • Options
    russcarrrusscarr Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    uhtrinity wrote: »
    1. Not true, I actually started in an ED Science teacher program and the Critical thinking class i completed transferred to the IT critical thinking class. They also used a WGU Visual Arts course to meet the ethics liberal arts requirement.

2. Partially correct. You are assigned a mentor as you start EWB. You are not obligated tuition wise if you are a financial aid student until you finish EWB. However if you are paying out of pocket you have to pay 50% of the first term about 2 weeks prior. However this isn't an issue as it is very easy to switch mentors. You also have the added benefit of being on this forum so you know what is good, bad, and where to get additional advice.

3. ? Not sure what you are asking. If you are talking about the classes the model is closer to Vo-Tech, you must take or transfer all the courses within a specific program. You can't pick and choose.

4.The Course of Study covers books. As far as I've seen there is no requirement to get all of them. It all depends on the learning resources you need to pass a course. Some mentors may be more controlling however as your progress reflects on them.

I seriously doubt that any school will meet those conditions in writing as policies can vary from dept to dept. As far as grad rates WGU actually beats national averages.
    From 2009:
    Online University Ranking | Online Education | WGU

Thank you very much for your response.

It may be that things have changed since you started but it clearly states that the Mentor will determine what books/materials will be required for each course and that it is up to the student to purchase these as it is NOT part of the tuiton.

I am looking to start by taking the Networking Security degree. I then would like to start on the Computer Systems Degree as there are only 5 additional courses to achieve this degree. I was told that the basic courses will not transfer. That I would have to retake these as there is a max. number of credits available to transfer.

As for the mentor and being able to switch as necessary if they do not work out, I guess I can live with this but it just seems needless that you cannot do a "interview" of sorts to ensure that it would be a good fit to begin with.

Just my thoughts.

Again, thank you for your response as it is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    Hi;

My two cent.

My first degree was from a top TIER school in Canada. (Has Graduated the most Prime Ministers for Canada).

I did my second degree at WGU - Bsc in IT - NDIS

I loved the univ, and had an excellent time there. The magisterial is awsome, and is good for people that don't need hand holding, and has an open mind.

I also found it did have an impact when applying for other jobs to give me an edge. I don't get asked to much about an education (Most people care about the expereince), but it is nice that the person interviewing knows i am Educated in IT field, and WGU filled that gap. (my first degree was in International Relations).

I will be doing my MSc in Info Sec through WGU next starting Jan 2011.

Only thing i wouldn't do from WGU is the MBA.

My MBA i plan to do from top tier univ.

WGU is more about getting you in the door for Career you want. MBA i will probaly do is from either locally from the University of Calgary or , MSC in Managnment from Waterloo University (MIT of CANADA)
  • Options
    eansdad wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that some of the courses have been changed?

Nothing new, they update courses and programs all the time. Students then have a window to change or stay the same.
  • Options
    russcarr wrote: »
    Thank you very much for your response.

It may be that things have changed since you started but it clearly states that the Mentor will determine what books/materials will be required for each course and that it is up to the student to purchase these as it is NOT part of the tuiton.

I am looking to start by taking the Networking Security degree. I then would like to start on the Computer Systems Degree as there are only 5 additional courses to achieve this degree. I was told that the basic courses will not transfer. That I would have to retake these as there is a max. number of credits available to transfer.

As for the mentor and being able to switch as necessary if they do not work out, I guess I can live with this but it just seems needless that you cannot do a "interview" of sorts to ensure that it would be a good fit to begin with.

Just my thoughts.

Again, thank you for your response as it is greatly appreciated.

Not sure what that second course is, these are the majors they offer:
    B.S. Information Technology
    B.S. Information Technology—Networks Administration
    B.S. Information Technology—Networks Design and Management
    B.S. Information Technology—Databases
    B.S. Information Technology—Security
    B.S. Information Technology—Software
    B.S. Health Informatics (from the College of Health Professions)
    B.S. Business—Information Technology Management (Business College)

I wouldn't bother with a double major as you would still end up with two degrees that simply say BS - Information technology .... the exception might be those last two as they come from a different college.

As I have mentioned before in a different thread a second major would include the classes that are different and would require an additional tech writing class (proposal) and an additional capstone paper / project. The transcripts will mention the emphasis, but the degree doesn't. Some have even suggested that for the real world there is no difference from the vanilla IT degree vs the emphasis. Personally I would pick the one that has the certs you want to get.
  • Options
    I wouldn't bother with a double major as you would still end up with two degrees that simply say BS - Information technology .... the exception might be those last two as they come from a different college.

Even if one was so inclined, WGU will not let you take a dual emphasis. Whether it was at the same time, or you graduate and go for a second one, it isn't allowed. If you want to go back to WGU after a BS in Information Technology, it's going to be for a Masters program.

I believe someone already posted that somewhere...but I do remember reading it.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Even if one was so inclined, WGU will not let you take a dual emphasis. Whether it was at the same time, or you graduate and go for a second one, it isn't allowed. If you want to go back to WGU after a BS in Information Technology, it's going to be for a Masters program.

I believe someone already posted that somewhere...but I do remember reading it.

Never saw that, if you find it somewhere please bump it or link it. There is the possibility that it might have been a financial aid thing. Once you finish your 1st Bachelors degree you are no longer eligible for pell grants.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've heard/read that too.

The classes are too similar between degrees other than a few certifications, you might as well just get the extra certs after you graduate (if you want them) and call it good.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    Never saw that, if you find it somewhere please bump it or link it. There is the possibility that it might have been a financial aid thing. Once you finish your 1st Bachelors degree you are no longer eligible for pell grants.

Can I pursue two degrees at the same time at WGU?

No. WGU does not allow students to pursue two degrees at the same time. Attending another school while enrolled at WGU is highly discouraged. Courses are not accepted as transfer credit after you begin your program at WGU.

http://kb.wgu.edu/display/2/index.asp?c=12&cpc=3041r5ddxF0IetxgscnfYq4KF2b&cid=3&cat=&catURL=&r=0.7655908

Second Degree Matriculation

The WGU policy on second degree matriculation dictates that:
    • Students wishing to matriculate into a WGU baccalaureate degree program who already hold a BA or BS degree from a regionally or DETC accredited institution may only do so if the WGU degree will require a minimum of 24 CUs (the equivalent of two terms of work);
    • Students wishing to matriculate into a WGU master’s degree program who already hold a BA or BS degree from WGU may only do so if the WGU degree will require the completion of at least one domain of study in addition to any required clinical or capstone work;
    • Students wishing to matriculate into a WGU master’s degree program who already hold a WGU master’s degree or a master’s degree from a regionally or DETC accredited institution may only do so if the WGU degree will require the completion of at least one domain of study in addition to any clinical or capstone work;
    • Students may not complete two MBA, two MAT, or two MED degree programs;
    • Students may not matriculate into two WGU programs simultaneously.

http://kb.wgu.edu/display/2/index.asp?c=12&cpc=3041r5ddxF0IetxgscnfYq4KF2b&cid=3&cat=&catURL=&r=0.7655908
  • Options
    The classes are too similar between degrees other than a few certifications, you might as well just get the extra certs after you graduate (if you want them) and call it good.

I would sit for the MCITP:SA, as it's only one test on top of my required EA exams (70-646). I would do that just to do it as opposed to need.
  • Options
  • Options
    IVirOrfeoIVirOrfeo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looking for a referral for WGU; WGU Alum please PM me to help!
  • Options
    RocknitrobRocknitrob Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Been enrolled in the MBA IT. It's some pretty good stuff. The mentors are great. The curriculum is good.
  • Options
    shelly123shelly123 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I'm not too sure if anyone still reads this post but it would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me a referral. I'd like to start the admissions process but $60 is not in my reach at the moment. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    shelly123 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm not too sure if anyone still reads this post but it would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me a referral. I'd like to start the admissions process but $60 is not in my reach at the moment. Thanks in advance!

You can private message me your name and email address and I will refer you. If for some reason, you can send a private message yet, contact Webmaster, he can unlock that for you.
  • Options
    BorderlineCool22BorderlineCool22 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    You can private message me your name and email address and I will refer you. If for some reason, you can send a private message yet, contact Webmaster, he can unlock that for you.

They'll waive your application fee if you have a referral? That's pretty cool! I can't figure out how to send a private message. Could you PM me and then I'll respond with my name and email? Thanks!
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Rocknitrob wrote: »
    Been enrolled in the MBA IT. It's some pretty good stuff. The mentors are great. The curriculum is good.

Don't say that!! I've been trying to pick another program to get some variety on my resume after WGU! :)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They'll waive your application fee if you have a referral? That's pretty cool! I can't figure out how to send a private message. Could you PM me and then I'll respond with my name and email? Thanks!

You need to have more posts - I think 20 - before the PM feature is available. You can also contact webmaster and he can unlock it for you.
  • Options
    BorderlineCool22BorderlineCool22 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    You need to have more posts - I think 20 - before the PM feature is available. You can also contact webmaster and he can unlock it for you.

Ok, thanks a bunch!
  • Options
    frank29frank29 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Doed anybody knows what CLEP exams i can take and transfer to WGU.
    like for CLEP in English composition 1 and 2.
    or Humanities CLEP there is one CLEP exam but will it enough to take care of the two courses at WGU.

Any help Please.

Humanities

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]CODE
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]ASSESSMENT
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]CU
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]REQUIREMENT FOR TRANSFER
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]IWC1

IWT1
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Literature, Arts and the Humanities

Literature, Arts and the Humanities: Analysis and Interpretation
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]4
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Two courses, equivalent to 4 units, in the humanities (i.e. literature, visual and performing arts, music, theatre, philosophy, ethics or religious studies).

[/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Partial credit is accepted for this area: IWC1 must be transferred or met by degree before IWT1 can be transferred.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]*This requirement can be satisfied by an Associate or Bachelor’s degree for this program.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]

Language and Communication

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]CODE
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]ASSESSMENT
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]CU
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]REQUIREMENT FOR TRANSFER
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]LAE1
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Language and Communication: Essay
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]2
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]One course in English composition, equivalent to 2 units, excluding business writing.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]*This requirement can be satisfied by an Associate or Bachelor’s degree for this program.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]LAT1
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Language and Communication: Research
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]A second, sequential course in English composition, equivalent to 2 units, excluding business writing.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]LAE1 must be transferred or met by degree before LAT1 can be transferred.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]LUT1
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Language and Communication: Presentation
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]One course in general speech, equivalent to 2 units, excluding business communication.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

• Options
    brianray71brianray71 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Psoasman, could I use you as a referral to WGU? If so, do you have a facebook, or somewhere else where we could exchange info and chat a little concerning it?

Thanks,
    Brian