Communications Manager Server

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all,

I tried to install a copy of CUCM on a virtual machine earlier and it failed. I'm thinking that since I'm running 32-bit windows with only 2GB of RAM is why it actually failed.

I've been thinking about getting a server, which is 64 bit... Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what server to actually get?

Thanks.
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends on your budget, but I'd build up an ESXi server. Lower cost would be an i5 with 8GB RAM, or for more go for an i7 with 16GB. Hard drives are the bottlekneck, so multiple drives are best.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^ following his recommendation: Ever wanted your own VMWARE ESXi Server? Here's what I built - hardware that worked, and tips for good results. (Andrew's Blog 08/27/2009)

Rack server would be good, keep the place nice and neat and look cool as well.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    ^ following his recommendation: Ever wanted your own VMWARE ESXi Server? Here's what I built - hardware that worked, and tips for good results. (Andrew's Blog 08/27/2009)

Rack server would be good, keep the place nice and neat and look cool as well.

Thanks for the link. And I definitely agree on the rack mount server. I like to keep things looking neat, plus it keeps me out of trouble for keeping our spare room (aka, the nerd room) tidy.
    CCNP R/S
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CUCM is VERY picky about hardware settings or maybe it's just me.

I used the following VM template settings to get this to work:

Linux Red Hat (32-bit)
    1 Virtual Processor
    2 GB RAM
    80 GB Hard drive (SAS 0:0)

I believe it's picky about both the OS settings and the hard drive settings the most. Once the Publisher was up and running I took a snapshot, shut her down, decreased the memory to 1 GB and booted her back up. Cisco gave an error message about them not being responsible for me not using the recommended equipment but it booted right up!
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's what I've heard about it being picky. But then again, it could also be the software that I'm running to make a virtual box - since it's not supported by Cisco, then it may not even run at all. I'm going to pickup some more RAM tonight to give it another test to see if I can get it to run. I think mine failed due to only 1GB of RAM running for the virtual box.

I also read somewhere (not sure where) that you need a minimum of 72GB free on your HDD.

I'll probably end up getting a Dell 1950, since I've seen a few of these around with CUCM running on them already. Just gotta make sure that I have enough RAM and HDD space.

What VM program were you using to get this setup?
    CCNP R/S
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My adult entertainment revolves around seeing computers and "battlestations" as the interwebz call it. Go figure, I like to see if I can make my experience at work more enjoyable - even with politics!

Why is this even relevant?

Because you said you have a nerd room.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams