Passed S+ today!

camshaft462camshaft462 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I passed Security+ this morning with a score of 847/900; I was nervous going into it as I'm not from the IT field. It was a little harder than I anticipated but nothing unmanageable. Like everyone says, slow down, read the question, think through it logically. There were a few completely out of left field, though, never even encountered some of the terminology in my self-study. Maybe they were beta questions?

Thanks to everyone on the forums and especially to Darril Gibson - your book was extremely helpful, easy to read and understand, concise but with enough technical details to understand the objectives. I'll join the others on here and say this is best single resource to use when preparing for the SY0-301, as it had a depth and breadth that was sometimes lacking in other books I browsed.

Resources:
- Darril Gibson's Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead (95% of my studying)
- techexams.net forums and tech notes
- CompTIA practice/sample questions
- some of CERT's VTE

Thanks again, all. Planning on pursuing Network+, SSCP, and eventually CISSP (probably in that order).

Comments

• kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass and good luck on your next few certs.
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Congrats!!icon_thumright.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass and nice score!
  • techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    Congrats on the pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on a top score:)
    The Wings of Technology
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz!!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For a guy new to the industry you have a well mapped plan. Keep it up!

One suggestion though, consider the CCENT over the N+, but then again it's up to you.

Congratz on the pass!
  • MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    Congratulations camshaft! :)

If you don't mind me asking, how much time would you say you allotted toward studying for Sec+? It sounds like Security+ is your first IT certification, is that correct? Well done.
  • camshaft462camshaft462 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the kind words.

@ N2IT: I'll check out CCENT as well, I hadn't looked a lot at vendor-specific certs but I will.

@ Mrkali: This was my first IT cert; up until this point it had been more of an interest/hobby. I spent about 5 weeks on Darril's book - I tried to do a couple chapters a week. I'd say I allocated on average an hour a day for the past month. I spent a lot of the week before the exam doing practice tests and going through everything I could find on this site.

I'm interested in pursuing a security path; can anyone speak to the CEH certification? It looks a bit more technical/hands-on and I'm wondering if I should build up some more foundations before I try something like that. Maybe one day, though, it sounds very interesting.
  • babarricusbabarricus Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratz camshaft462, nicely done!