So who's working 60-70+ hours a week?

SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
Just kind of curious, wondering if this typical for many people? (Although no one I know personally has been working this much).. I've had a few rough weeks were I just can't seem to get out of the office before 10-11 at night. Tried working from home for a whole week but it that only saved me the time I spend driving.

For a while I've been enjoying it, working with so many different networks but recently it's just getting a little... tiring. It's been cutting into my study/lab and blogging time (not to mention my posting time on TE!! icon_smile.gif )

My only real concern is eventually I'm slip somewhere... It's bound to happen, like walking on thin ice I'm gonna fall in eventually.

Anyone else been in this kind of situation?
My Networking blog
Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS

Comments

• kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will work 60 hours this week due to subbing for someone else including switching between days and graves on the fly. I really doubt my job is as important as you or do as much as yours, but I know what it feels like. Though working this many hours has given me the ability to not only prep me for my CCNA but learn C, the programming language, and put some lag on my network+ studies. All while being the only first point of contact for our company, during the nights of course. ;)

And to be honest, I wouldn't mind working 80 hours in a week, maybe not every week, but every other week. I think if I had enough skills and was forced to work 80 hours a week I could find somewhere that paid more and gave less hours. Just sayin'.
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    I usually work at least 50-60+ most weeks. It's not unusual to put in 70-80+ depending on what projects happen to be in progress.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    Just kind of curious, wondering if this typical for many people? (Although no one I know personally has been working this much).. I've had a few rough weeks were I just can't seem to get out of the office before 10-11 at night. Tried working from home for a whole week but it that only saved me the time I spend driving.

I've worked 70-80 hours for brief periods. The thing to remember is that their emergency is not your emergency--unless you caused it. Value your own time. Make them pay for those extra hours. In my experience, that usually causes them to go away. When it doesn't, it ends up being a really nice event for your bank account. :)
  • dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    it ends up being a really nice event for your bank account. :)

Unless you happen to be on salary.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    On a salary, you can still negotiate a bonus or PTO in return for extra hours worked.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    40 hours a week at my job. 30 hours a week in my MBA program. BTW Work is easier.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    40 hours for now. Anything more is comp or overtime. :)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kremit wrote: »
    I will work 60 hours this week due to subbing for someone else including switching between days and graves on the fly.....snip.....
    confused.png Why are you getting Network+ when you have CCENT and going for CCNA?

Edit: I work for the state, so it's 40 hours a week, every week. If I HAVE to do over-time (haven't had to for over a year), then it's going to be comp-time.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    N2IT wrote: »
    40 hours a week at my job. 30 hours a week in my MBA program. BTW Work is easier.

Yeah, I do 40 at work and 20 in my Bachelors program. But those 20 hours are getting ready to come back!

Best of luck to you.
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i'm usually in the 55-60 hour range with some weeks in the 60-70 hour range. I'm getting better at taking comptime, but to much to do right now. Hopefully in 6 months a lot of things get fixed and the hours get better.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    How many hours do you put in for a normal week? For me it's very rare that I have to put in more than 45.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I put in about 45 hours a week, though when we relocated our core datacenter over the past several weeks, I did work for over 60 hours. Some folks in my teams put in 70 hours, but hey they raked in the moolah!

As long as I get paid overtime/comp for every hour over 40 hours, I'm okay with it.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NOT ME!!! i've did that maybe 2 times in the past 3 years...i wasnt getting paid OT then. i refuse to be that guy that gets burned out by a job...work/life balance is important to me. And now that they made us OT eligible, they trying not to make us do OT, since they dont want to pay it. and thats fine with me, cuz i honestly dont want to work 50+ hours a week anyway.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eserfeliz wrote: »
    Yeah, I do 40 at work and 20 in my Bachelors program. But those 20 hours are getting ready to come back!

Best of luck to you.

You as well!
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've about 10-15 hours of work at a high hourly rate & 25+ hours of study (I'm working part-time now but that will change in a few months time) but the EU working time directive doesn't allow you to work more than 48 hours, altough I think the UK has opted out of this... If you were in Hong Kong/Singapore working 60 hours a week is considered normal.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Between 45-55, depending on the week. If it's my turn in the on-call rotation, it's totally up in the air, have seen 30-40 hour OT weeks.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    55-60 hours pretty much every week. Some weeks go up to 70+, including weekends, depending on running projects and required maintenance.

Sometimes it sucks, but on the flipside, I'm learning a ton.
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A normal week for me is about 50 hours. Anything outside of 40 hours I can do remote/from home though so it's not bad.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    i'm usually in the 55-60 hour range with some weeks in the 60-70 hour range. I'm getting better at taking comptime, but to much to do right now. Hopefully in 6 months a lot of things get fixed and the hours get better.

It can be tough to deal with the comp time thing. Some organizations/cultures frown on it directly or indirectly, or the situation gets structured to where you feel guilty taking the time.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I'm one of a few Americans in a Japanese company. I put in 45 a week and more, if needed (I'm always willing). The OT is comped. The other 2 jobs are family and my studies getting another +-40 each, a week.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
    Comp Time can be a double edged sword. You work extra hours to try and get things done, but take (sometimes forced) those hours later.....which means less time you spend getting the much needed work done! A co-worker of mine is going through this now. I believe either her classification doesn't qualify for overtime, or they just aren't authorizing it...or she isn't asking for it. She should though. Does a lot here and earns every penny.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    some of ya'll are crazy talkin about comped time...man, if i work extra, i want the moolah, not comped time.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    some of ya'll are crazy talkin about comped time...man, if i work extra, i want the moolah, not comped time.

Well, with comp time its not technically extra work!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    onesaint wrote: »
    I'm one of a few Americans in a Japanese company. I put in 45 a week and more, if needed (I'm always willing). The OT is comped. The other 2 jobs are family and my studies getting another +-40 each, a week.
    Hoohhh? Do you live in Japan? Speak Japanese?
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Always 40 hours working for a Native American Tribe
    BradleyHU wrote: »

Depends what your priorities are. Being able to sleep in, or leave early to pick up the kids from school or beat rush hour traffic to certain businesses that close at 5 or 6 is not a bad thing.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Agreed SteveLord. As they say, time is money.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used to regularly work 60-70 hours a week at my old job... and that could easily be more if necessary. I loved that job... and they decided to outsource our small department. I know they aren't getting their money's worth because I know who runs it now... anyhow, my pay is substantially higher now.

Now, I pretty much work 40-45 hours a week. The work is more mental than before... and I have to rely more on others, which is very difficult.

I also have school... I have no idea how many hours I put into that. 2/3 of the way done with this semester, which will mark 2/3 the way done with the MS! Still haven't decided if I am taking a break in the summer, or not. I need to start studying for the PMP, as I have to sit for it by June... since I paid for it.

I put in a few hours a day reading for school. Then, if it is a "conference" week, I put in 2-3 hours writing. If it is a paper week, I will likely put in 10-14 hours writing my paper. In a twelve-week semester, six weeks are conference weeks and six weeks are paper weeks.

I took off three days from work last week and I only got finished with my paper at 9PM last night, instead of the usually 11PM. But, I had some good down time. I was about ready to break. I think that taking three days off, in addition to a weekend, is about perfect on a monthly basis. I have enough banked PTO that I could do that monthly. It may be necessary for long-term sanity.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Yea, it varies 50 hours a week on a good week. (Which is fine)

Maybe I just need a vacation... or a few days off
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm putting in about 45 on average, but my new job pays overtime to everyone in IT, so I don't mind putting in SOME extra time. I'm not very willing to go much higher than that, though. I don't want to miss my kids growing up because I'm always working.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...