Building a strong background

sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering, I am new to the whole getting certification thing. I have passed the 70-680 and soon to hopefully pass the 70-685, and was then going to aim for the MCITP for both the EA and SA. But then looking around and reading around it looks like its better to be more versatile.

I've been in the IT field for a bit of a year, and just wanting to go forward but not sure if I should stay Microsoft as such or study for a CCNA and a Security certification, so I have all round knowledge and not just one area.

Right now im not worrying about my pay as so to speak, i know I have lots to learn I just want to make sure that my focus is being put into the best use for the years going forward. Also wanted to build the strong foundations while I am young (only 23) so want to get fully certified while I am younger and have all of this spare time on my hands.

Looking forward to hearing what people say :)

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    G'day and welcome to the forums!

Are you a network guy or a server guy at the moment? Or trying to be one of the two? Just go with either the MCITP: EA or CCNA for now. There really isnt a "best" path thing here. Do what you like doing and where you want to take your career. Good luck with whatever ya choose and hit us up for any other queries you might have.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also don't want to just be the network guy or the server guy. I just want to leave my options open etc and looked into the security side of things.

It would be great to not have to rely on say a network technician or server technician as I could do both. It's trying to work out what you enjoy and what you want to work towards compared to what will make your future easier. Also if I work my butt off while im younger and get all of the MCITP EA and SA etc ill only need to do the refresh exams in the future to keep up with the technologies (when I don't have as much time).

I guess I should of ask, does any one know what certifications are in higher demand, and what certification a employeer looks for on a resume.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    685 is a logical next step. Good luck!
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Welcome!

Id say go for a good foundation on the MS environment and then take the ccent.
    So I second the go for 685 one, it does overlap some with 680 and they complement each other, so finish that then decide where to go
    meh
    Is there a reason to go for CCNET and not the full CCNA? I know that its two exams one way, and only one the other way, so if your going to study your butt off shouldn't you just go for one?

Some people have a list of certifications longer then my arm, is it worth while saying getting a MCITP SA, CEH and CCNA? Or is it better to focus everything on one area? It's difficult as I could study towards a security exam and be the only person in my work place with one, but its also looking into the future...

Also I know of CBT Nuggests (honestly the only way I can study I find I can never get a hold on the books), does any one else have links to good sites for exam tutorials for exams?

On another topic, does any one here study power shell scripting? If so do you find it useful? Or with the GUI interface being better and better with each OS is it slowly melting away?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sharpy56 wrote: »
    Is there a reason to go for CCNET and not the full CCNA? I know that its two exams one way, and only one the other way, so if your going to study your butt off shouldn't you just go for one?

Some people have a list of certifications longer then my arm, is it worth while saying getting a MCITP SA, CEH and CCNA? Or is it better to focus everything on one area? It's difficult as I could study towards a security exam and be the only person in my work place with one, but its also looking into the future...

Also I know of CBT Nuggests (honestly the only way I can study I find I can never get a hold on the books), does any one else have links to good sites for exam tutorials for exams?

On another topic, does any one here study power shell scripting? If so do you find it useful? Or with the GUI interface being better and better with each OS is it slowly melting away?

I have never seen a job ad on seek or mycareer or careerone asking for CCENT. All they want is the CCNA, I think in the US the CCENT holds some value, but not in Australia. Go for the CCNA if that floats your boat. People usually split the CCNA up into 2 exams to make it easier and it gets them the extra cert as well, I believe that's the logic.

None of the exams you listed are easy and require significant effort, moreso if you dont get to work on those technologies at your job. As you are in the Service Desk, I recommend you start off with either the MCITP or the CCNA. Start off with one of them and if you dont like it, just switch. Additionally, I recommend you go for the MCITP: EA or SA only, not the EDT or EDA certs as again I have never seen a job asking for those certs.

Microsoft's TechNet is the best resource out there for most, if not all, Microsoft exams. It's free, accurate and very detailed. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, and if it is then pick up the official MS books and fill in the gaps with TechNet. I have attained all except my very first cert (the MCP, by passing the 70-290) using TechNet, the exam blueprint and CBT Nuggets and of course my home lab.

PowerShell is the bomb mate. We use a few scripts for automating some of our daily tasks at work and boy does it work like a beauty. If you are good at scripting, I'll take my hat off at you.

Out of curiosity, where are ya located?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Located in QLD.

Well looks like ill be going for my CCNA after this, I guess its more so needing to do labs and that sort of thing. Also when you go for an exam do you go for something others in your company don't have or how do you work out what your going to do next?

Once I pass this next exam i'll be a MCITP so no problems there.

What is your home lab made up of? Also any good tools etc I can use to learn powerShell? I saw that the powershell games are currently running (but I understand more from seeing it rather then reading it), its why I use and love CBT nuggets so much.

Also do you reckon you will be hitting up a security exam or Citrix one in the future?