Studied for N+ 004. Should I take 005?

michael4422michael4422 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been studying for the old Network + certification for the last month using Mike Myer's book and Messer's awesome videos. Now I'm wondering if I should stay on these materials and test for 004 or get the new materials and do the 005 version.

I kind of want to get this thing over and done with!

Comments

• shamilt1shamilt1 Member Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally, I would stick w/004 if that is what you started studying. Why make it more difficult or complicated than it needs to be?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    If you are ready for the exam, schedule it and check it off your list. Why do you think one version or the other matters for this particular certification? Your date of examination will run through the time of when you take the exam...3 years. The version, in this situation hardly matters IMO.

Besides, which exam track are you thinking of following? Are you stopping after this one? (I'd suspect not) So if, like so many before you, are planning to take this exam, your goals will continue beyond the CompTIA certs and long-term will likely have greater meaning. You'll keep your Sec+ current by following the guidelines set forth by CompTIA, but which exam you take, I don't see how that will matter unless you have an employer requiring one or another. Generally, as long as you have the "Sec+" badge of honor, you are all set.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • PacoL250PacoL250 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the same question, but seeing how the 005 exam focuses more on "virtual networking and give increased attention to network security and coverage of the seven-layer OSI (Open System Interconnection) model," and how my studies are focusing more on security soon, would I likely be okay taking the 005 exam if I used Lammle's 004 N+ Deluxe Study Guide?

Sorry if it seems like I'm beating a dead horse, but I've got exam jitters on this one and I really don't want to lose $250 if I don't pass.
  • datschmodatschmo Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have to agree with shamilt1 and plantwiz..do yourself a favor and stick with the exam your studying. regardless of whether you take 004 or 005, if you know the content it's a relatively straight-forward exam.
  • itsgonnahappenitsgonnahappen Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like others have said before, take the exam for the one you're studying for. I've never heard of an employer ever ask for 005 over 004.

As far as taking 005 because of a security emphasis... As someone that's currently studying for the Security+ exam and took the 004 net+ exam... You will have ample knowledge to progress to the Security+ exam without any worries.