Scrum Master

rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
Has anyone here done any Scrum Master training? I'm slated (tentatively) to take a Scrum Master course in a few weeks.
CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS

Comments

• EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Never even heard of it... what is it?
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's a Project management methodology.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We use Scrum to manage our IT projects at work and I enjoy using it a lot. We have not done any formal training for it though. I would be very interested in hearing what you learn.
    We use Scrum to manage our IT projects at work and I enjoy using it a lot. We have not done any formal training for it though. I would be very interested in hearing what you learn.

If the training goes through, I'll def. put up a review.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A nice little article comparing PMP vs CSM and Agile vs Waterfall.

PMP (Project Management Professional) vs CSM (Certified Scrum Master) | Boston Project Manager

http://www.brighthub.com/office/project-management/articles/65355.aspx

A friend of mine and his wife both are PM's and they are both Scrum Masters. They work in the software field and make a lot of money. It's a niche methodology that pays extremely well if you get into the right environment.

@RW

I believe to be a truly effective project manager, service manager, etc you need to know something about all the methodologies in your respective field.

I'll use service management for an example. Knowing multiple ITSM practices gives you a better understand of ITSM as a theory and practice. I believe that is the same with Project Management. (That is not to say you should get certified in all of them). But understanding Six Sigma, PMI, Scrum will give you more tools that you can apply, than just managing to one specific methodology. This will make the individual a stronger PM. Another point that needs to be brought up is learning something that you are actually using is far more superior than not. So if your shop is using SCRUM, then you would be crazy to pass up on some potentially free training that you will be able to apply in your environment.
    @N2

Agree with you. The project I'm on uses Scrum as it's methodology, and thus my PM's are all about and for me attending the class. Overall the company I'm with is big in to PMP so logically that is going to be my next step (more than likely) down the road.