Options

Digi CM32 console server

Comments

• Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 252 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JeanM wrote: »
    Just powered it on today, so far so good. Working via serial port (rj45 to db9 adapter must be used, cisco console cable won't work), and via ip connect to my pc's nic.

Currently I am waiting for my pcmcia wifi card to arrive, then I can really test it and go through it's settings. The cooling fan in it is a bit loud, it's easily louder than 3x2950 and 3x2620s next to it :/ I'll have to look into getting a different fan for it...

Front view - http://www.techexams.net/members/jeanm-albums-lab-picture2141-cm32-front-view.jpg

Rear view - http://www.techexams.net/members/jeanm-albums-lab-picture2142-cm32-rear-view.jpg

Inside (fan will be easy to replace) http://www.techexams.net/members/jeanm-albums-lab-picture2140-img-8706.jpg

My lab work in progress, the 1924s were my first purchase (only paid $20 for the pair) but they ended up having cat-os/menu driven vs. ios. So ignore those, tomorrow my 3640 should arrive, and later this week 2 more 2950-24s.

http://www.techexams.net/members/jeanm-albums-lab-picture2143-work-progress-waiting-3640-2950-24s-arrive.jpg

Dude...nice lab pics. I need another rack that size too so; I'll have to get back on ebay.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Dude...nice lab pics. I need another rack that size too so; I'll have to get back on ebay.

Amazon.com $28 :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OMG! I just got to really play around with the features, and connected to my Cisco equipment from the CM32 for the first time. This thing is awesome!! CLI or web interface!!
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    OMG! I just got to really play around with the features, and connected to my Cisco equipment from the CM32 for the first time. This thing is awesome!! CLI or web interface!!

Web interface? Can I get a picture, and I assume it's HTTPS?
  • Options
    Here is the screen where you can connect to each console port via the https web interface. It opens a java console session to the port when you click on the little computer terminal icons:

My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very nice! The more I think about it though, the cost of leaving my Routers and Switches on all day would get very expensive.
  • Options
    Detected PC card : Unsupported Card icon_sad.gif

Model : Agere Systems Wireless PC Card Model 0110

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

" Proxim ORiNOCO Laptop Wireless WiFi PC Card PCMCIA " It shows Orinoco 802.11b SILVER, but not WORLD... so it's not supported. I wish Digi would show actual MODEL numbers ...like 8421-WD etc...

This is going to be interesting trying to find a card that works--

Cisco Systems

AIR-PCM340/Aironet 340

Cisco Systems 340 Series Wireless LAN Adapter

11 Mbps Wireless LAN Adapter

Proxim

ORINOCO

Silver World/Classic Gold

11 Mbps Wireless LAN PC Card

• Options
  • Options
    I actually have the old Orinoco Silver card sitting right here on my desk from my old laptop. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it possible to upgrade the firmware on those to match the Orinoco Gold settings?

EDIT: Yes, I remember that's exactly what I did years ago...
  • Options
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    I actually have the old Orinoco Silver card sitting right here on my desk from my old laptop. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it possible to upgrade the firmware on those to match the Orinoco Gold settings?

EDIT: Yes, I remember that's exactly what I did years ago...

Hmm, I have a laptop here with PCMCIA slots. I'll google it, if you any direct links for this, post it :)
  • Options
    Just for the fun of it, I ran a Nessus vulnerability scan on the CM32 (for PCI DSS), and here is a brief summary of the results:

Number of vulnerabilities

High

Medium

Low

Most had to do with telnet, so I turned it off. It also says that OpenSSH needs to be upgraded from v4.2 to v4.3.
  • Options
    Updated the firmware today to the latest version. It took less than 5 minutes.

• Options
    Sweet! Now re-run the Nessus vulnerability scan
  • Options
    In progress...

• Options
    Wow, the updated firmware introduced a few more things to look out for. Since I turned off TELNET, all it has to complain about now are several concerns with the OpenSSH version 4.5 that is now installed with the firmware 1.9.5, and it is still talking about weak signing of the SSL certificate. I guess I could reduce the errors by shutting down all ports but the ones needed for console connectivity, but then again, I'm in my lab. :)

Number of vulnerabilities

High

Medium

Low

• Options
    Update - the Orinoco card I've purchased would not update it's firmware, not exactly the same model.

Purchased a Cisco aircard that's on the compatibility list for $15 :) Downloaded new firmware for the CM32 box, will play with that this week.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 252 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JeanM wrote: »
    Amazon.com $28 :)

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Is there a way to connect a computer to this if you don't have a serial port on your computer? I don't think even any of my old laptops have a serial port on them. LOL
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    Yes there is. Please read back through this thread, specifically my posts about use of a crossover cable.
  • Options
    lantech wrote: »
    Is there a way to connect a computer to this if you don't have a serial port on your computer? I don't think even any of my old laptops have a serial port on them. LOL

Yes, the access server has ethernet port on it. You can also get a USB to Serial adapter to works really well from amazon for under $20.

Something like this - http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-RS-232-Serial-Converter-TU-S9/dp/B0007T27H8/
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    I went ahead and purchased one off of ebay for $60.00 shipped. Probably from the same seller in Texas.

I do wonder if there are any newer wireless cards that will work with it. It would be nice to be able to use my laptop from anywhere in the house and be able to practice.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    Nope, I've contacted Digi Support and they said there are no updates available for these at all. I tried compiling updated pcmcia card manager for these but there is basically no room for anything else on the box.

I was pleasantly surprised DIGI looked at the issues I was having and provided some support even though it's out of warranty and all.

Yours too most likely will arrive w/o drivers loaded for the pcmcia cards, look at my other thread with steps on getting them on there if you want to try the short list of cards it supports.

You can add a wep2 etc AP and just have it connect to it using ethernet port :)
  • Options
    ayseafayseaf Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what is different between pcm340 and 350 ?
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey all, I just picked one of these up and it looks really nice. Does anybody know how to change the timeout when accessing via SSH? I get kicked out after about 1:30 of inactivity and I haven't yet figured out how to change that. I don't really like accessing through the web interface so I'd prefer to get in by SSH.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Under Serial Port > Configuration, click on the port # and the timeout value is under host mode configuration.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Thanks, I thought I was doing it right before but was still getting kicked out, now it seems to be fine.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mine is on order. I offered the ebay seller 20 dollars less than what he posted it for.

Surprisingly he accepted.

EXTREMELY LIGHT USAGE is in the description.
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    EXTREMELY LIGHT USAGE -- needed a good laugh. If its been plugged in and powered up for the past 5 years, that's still 43,800 hours. Not exactly light usage on it. Maybe just the web interface was light -- they couldn't get it to stay connected (idle timeout) more than the default 90 seconds. I have one and have that as a problem even after setting the config to 0 (don't disconnect). Might be my version of java on the computer I'm using since I had to go with really old java for SDM.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    ^^I had the exact same problem. I must have done something wrong previously, I don't know, but basically I did what Zartanasaurus said to do above and that fixed it. Now I stay logged in as long as the timeout is set on my switches/routers, but the Digi CM doesn't ever kick me out.

I connect via SSH, but the timeout can be applied for SSH or web sessions so that shouldn't matter, just make sure you have it set correctly for whatever profile you are using to log in (root, admin, user, etc.)
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    I had ordered it and it arrived the day after I picked up a 2610 locally that had an NM-16a in it (found it on craigslist). I was originally thinking to resell it on ebay until I ran into the timeout thing. Since then, I mounted it in my rack and have been using it with no problems and don't need to deal with java versions. Just took me a while to track down that "ctrl-shift-6 x" key sequence to bounce between sessions.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually