The next step

VhD2012VhD2012 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

My goal is to be ready/find a job in network/server administration field (with later plans to advance into the IT security field).

I have taken CompTIA Network+ and Security+ certifications so far. I am not sure about my next certifications/steps. I was thinking and consequently studied for MTA Windows server administration fundamentals certification, but it seems only students of accredited academic institutions are eligible to apply for this exam. I am kind of puzzled, where, in which direction to move, from where to proceed, what other certifications to look for in orther to get ready for looking a job in network/server administration field, to start a career from that field (without having work experience in that field before).

Please help me out, give me some suggestions, I think some experienced in the field will have some suggestions.

Thank you,
VhD

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What's you experience like? MTA is not very popular when job hunting and you may not see much ROI our of it. I am inclined to recommend other exams (70-680 or 640) instead but would like to know your background.
  • b321618b321618 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    some solid work experience may direct and motivate you.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    VhD2012 wrote: »
    Hello,

My goal is to be ready/find a job in network/server administration field (with later plans to advance into the IT security field).

I have taken CompTIA Network+ and Security+ certifications so far. I am not sure about my next certifications/steps. I was thinking and consequently studied for MTA Windows server administration fundamentals certification, but it seems only students of accredited academic institutions are eligible to apply for this exam. I am kind of puzzled, where, in which direction to move, from where to proceed, what other certifications to look for in orther to get ready for looking a job in network/server administration field, to start a career from that field (without having work experience in that field before).

Please help me out, give me some suggestions, I think some experienced in the field will have some suggestions.

Thank you,
    VhD

You might start with the 680 or 685 exams. Passing both would earn you the MCITP:Enterprise support tech and give you a solid Win7 foundation. If you are leaning towards networking, then the CCENT/CCNA might be a good option for you.
  • VhD2012VhD2012 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for replies. My background is in mathematics and informatics, which is not really related to IT administration.
  • VhD2012VhD2012 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just want to know what certifications I have to pass in order to be qualified for entry level jobs in Network/server administration field, that is the starting point I want to get, and wonder if I am able to get there by passing certifications (and which certifications).
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    VhD2012 wrote: »
    I just want to know what certifications I have to pass in order to be qualified for entry level jobs in Network/server administration field, that is the starting point I want to get, and wonder if I am able to get there by passing certifications (and which certifications).

You will most likely to start off in Help Desk or something similar.

That way I see certs is that they validate the knowledge you already have. A company is more likely to hire you with network+ and security+ to work at a Help Desk than someone with an MCSE, who has never touched a production server. The A+ is still one of the most popular certs for entry-level IT positions, that with your other 2 certs would help with getting your foot in the door.

As I stated in a previous post, the Windows 7 certs (680 and 685) will also be helpful in building your foundation, too.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Psoasman wrote: »
    You will most likely to start off in Help Desk or something similar.

True story. Most places don't offer server administration as an entry level position
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    And they won't even let you start in server administration unless you have some experience in that, or other IT experience and a server certification.

Find a good company to get your foot in the door as helpdesk and move up within the company as that will be your fastest path to your goal. I have 7 years experience and have done helpdesk, desktop, and other random IT positions and am about 6 months or less from finally being a full fledged SA with my company. It can be a rocky road, but I at least won't be coming in as an entry level here.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep - unfortunately this isn't like any other job. Example, you want to be an accountant, go to school, pass the tests and then you're an accountant.

IT - go to school, get certifications - almost always start out on a help desk or entry level experience. You have to gain a few years experience before you can move up to network/systems admin. Unfortunately this is the only way. Unless you get extremely luck, which happens every now and then. But the percentages are in favor for starting out as a helpdesk technician.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S