icnd2 or full ccna exam

cb3dwacb3dwa Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi all i did the icnd1 exam last month,
work booked me on the full course this week and im now undecided on what route to take,

should i do the icnd2 or the full ccna?

any advise lads

cheers

Comments

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since you already have ICND1 down, I'd say just go on with ICND2 - there's no point in wasting extra money with the same result if you pass.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well, if you are confident on the ICND1 stuff then you have about half the questions on the full exam covered!

(No idea if its actually 50/50)
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • cb3dwacb3dwa Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, if you are confident on the ICND1 stuff then you have about half the questions on the full exam covered!

(No idea if its actually 50/50)

that would be nice :)
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    cb3dwa wrote: »
    hi all i did the icnd1 exam last month,
    work booked me on the full course this week and im now undecided on what route to take,

should i do the icnd2 or the full ccna?

any advise lads

cheers

There's no point in taking the full CCNA exam if you've already slammed ICND1. ICND2 is all you need. Plus, it's half the price and the questions. You'll notice a lot of overlap from ICND1 on the full CCNA exam as well. Infact, I do believe CCNA is meant for recertifying CCNAs so it's a lot more brutal than the 2xICND route.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    I was wondering the same thing as well. I've passed the ICND1 about 5 months ago and been studying for ICND2 since. I felt it would be easier to take the CCNA composite as it would be more of a 50/50 chance. I'm going to still go with ICND2 and hopefully pass and not worry about it but the thought did cross my mind to do the composite instead.
  • Alexf302Alexf302 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Infact, I do believe CCNA is meant for recertifying CCNAs so it's a lot more brutal than the 2xICND route.

Is this really true?

I am planning on doing the composite in a couple weeks, without having done either of the ICNDs.

My prior CCNA expired in 2006, so I wouldn't exactly qualify myself as recertifying.

Am I setting myself up for a much tougher time than were I to do the split exams?
  • Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hard to say - I don't know anybody that has taken both routes to the CCNA. Personally I chose the single test, I didn't see any point in stringing out the process as I was pretty confidant in my knowledge.

If you know your stuff - you'll be fine.

Nate
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Alexf302 wrote: »
    Is this really true?

I am planning on doing the composite in a couple weeks, without having done either of the ICNDs.

My prior CCNA expired in 2006, so I wouldn't exactly qualify myself as recertifying.

Am I setting myself up for a much tougher time than were I to do the split exams?

Not having taken both exams I can't comment to the validity of that statement, more so via word of mouth. I've heard of people who are fresh to Cisco taking it and saying it is less taxing since the material is more compacted. As a prior CCNA I'm sure you'll do fine on the 640-802.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)