Passed ICND1 on Apr 20

ajd86ajd86 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just returned home from the testing center... I passed ICND1 (barely) with an 825. I feel like I rushed through the exam (finished in under an hour) because I didn't want to run out of time. Before I knew it, I had 10 questions left with plenty time to spare.

I self-studied for this exam, using Lammle's CCENT book as my primary study tool. I read the book cover to cover and used Packet Tracer to do some sims. In addition, I used the ICND1 training videos from CBT Nuggets, which helped a lot. I think they will be my primary tool for ICND2.

The test wasn't too hard, but you definitely need to know your stuff. I found it covered the exam objectives very well, with not too much focus on one particular area. If I may reiterate what's been said a million times on these forums: Know how to subnet... FAST!

I'll probably clear my head for a week and begin studying of ICND2. Hopefully I can knock that one out late next month.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
    Good luck with ICND2
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Congrats on the pass!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Congrats and good luck on the next one
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • ajd86ajd86 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys! Any words of advice for ICND2? I'm hoping a month is enough time to study.
  • OsiapstndpOsiapstndp Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ajd86,

I spent a month specifically studying for my ICND2, but only because I had a lot of prior knowledge beforehand. Depending on how well you manage your time one month could be all you need, or it could be significantly less than you need.

If you're capable of understanding a topic - not just memorizing something that you're going to forget soon - in a short amount of time, then sure one month could be all you need. If you can apply the topics that you have newly come to understand to different scenarios that will cause you to think about why things happen, then again, one month is enough.

However, every person is different so it's difficult to really say how well you may do. How much time are you willing to put into studying? You're going to get out of it exactly what you put in, but remember that going at a pace that is comfortable for you is very important to your comprehension. I suggest that you have pretty intimate knowledge of the topics that are published on the Cisco website as well.

Getting a certification isn't a race. I plan on taking as long as I need with my future Cisco studies, and you can certainly bet that I won't be taking an exam until I truly feel ready and prepared.

Good luck with your study for the ICND2! When you're ready you'll do very well!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Todd Lammle has a great way of presenting the material. Which subnetting method did you use, nuggets or Lammles.
  • fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
    congratulation, but increase your effort on these suff.
    best wishes.
  • ajd86ajd86 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @Osiapstndp - Thanks for the info. I feel I will be able to put a solid number of hours in during the evenings, so 4-6 weeks should be doable given what you've said. I do have two technical degrees (BSEE and MSIT), so I'm very comfortable with complex technical concepts. I think my score would have been 100 points higher if I were more familiar with the CISCO testing format beforehand and paced myself more appropriately during the exam. I will, however, make sure I study as long as it takes to grasp ALL of the concepts in ICND2 before I challenge the exam.

@beach5563 - At first, I loved CBT Nuggets' subnetting method, but when I read Lammle's chapter, that all left my head. Lammle presents subnetting in a nearly foolproof manner IMO. Thanks to his book, I can subnet in my sleep!

Thanks again for all the congratulations. :D