Big Fat Fail

brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just got back from taking the test, failed with 632. I knew the material well that I had studied. I only used Testout, it had never let me down before. Right off the bat, the first 3 questions were on things I had not studied at all, took wild guesses. Had a bad feeling at that point. Questions started to get a little better as far as what I had studied. Knew some answers took my best guess on a lot of questions. Time was not an issue, I had plenty of time and did not feel rushed at all.

If I had time I would get a second source of material to study and do labs on my servers in my basement and retake the test. I didn’t touch my servers at all for this test.

Unfortunately, I don’t have time. My CCNA is up for renewal in December, I want to keep it current, so I am getting right on to studying for the CCNA Security specialization. Which means getting study material and setting up my lab first.

After that going for my MCSE may not seem as important to me. Not sure at this point. I will re-evaluate after I renew my CCNA. At least my MCSA is forever.

Comments

• lkh312lkh312 Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    keep your chin up that happened to a lot of people here..focus more on your weak area then u will pass it .
  • DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm sure once you renew your CCNA you will want to go for the MCSE. Good luck:)
  • brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you.

I think after renewing my CCNA I need to concentrate on a job search. My job situation is pretty bad, low paying, dead end, boring, starting to take a lot out of me. Was trying to get into the IT department where I work for a long time, finally admitted to myself they are not going to let me in. Way past time to move on.

I need a lot of help in the job search and interview areas, things I have always been very bad at. So, I will be working on those things.
  • luckyneoluckyneo Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bad luck on 70-293 I am sitting the exam in the UK on the 5th Aug I was going to move the exam as I dont feel anywhere near ready but prometric now charge to do this with 15 days of your exam. I have a second shot should I fail so I thought rather than pay them to move it I might as well have a go.

I have hit the books hard this week and I have started using CBT Nuggets, I normally like to give myself at least 6 weeks to prep for an exam so this is going to be a rush....

I to was studying to renew my CCNA but have posponed this until after 70-293 attempt... to many exams and not enought time I guess. Bad luck on the fail I think you should give it another go....

Good luck with the CCNA renewal.....

I will update how I get on after the exam.... I am slightly worried though everyone says this is a nightmare exam........

icon_rolleyes.gificon_study.gif
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It happens. Don't be dicouraged, 632 is very close and this is a difficult exam. I failed 2 exams in my MCSE trek and I think I got off pretty easy. I know there are some very smart people on this forum that became stuck on a test and had to take it 4 or 5 times. With both of my fails I found that I was just rushing things too much. Slow down a little bit and give some of that information a little more time to saturate your brain and your next attempt should go a lot smoother.

Good Luck!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Man I still havent sat the 70-293 but it is now my main focus. I finally renewed my CCNA today it has taken me since Aug to prep for the exam due to work commitments. Has anyone tried this exam recently..... I have a very optomistic timescale to sit this exam I am looking to give it a shot on the 1st of December to sleep for the next week getting up to speed on this one......

I will let you know how I get on

Cheers and good luck
    luckyneo wrote: »
    Bad luck on 70-293 I am sitting the exam in the UK on the 5th Aug I was going to move the exam as I dont feel anywhere near ready but prometric now charge to do this with 15 days of your exam. I have a second shot should I fail so I thought rather than pay them to move it I might as well have a go.

I have hit the books hard this week and I have started using CBT Nuggets, I normally like to give myself at least 6 weeks to prep for an exam so this is going to be a rush....

I to was studying to renew my CCNA but have posponed this until after 70-293 attempt... to many exams and not enought time I guess. Bad luck on the fail I think you should give it another go....

Good luck with the CCNA renewal.....

I will update how I get on after the exam.... I am slightly worried though everyone says this is a nightmare exam........

icon_rolleyes.gificon_study.gif
  • hyperrawr9000hyperrawr9000 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I failed this exam twice and even after passing the 3rd time im still not sure where I went wrong the first 2 tries. I swear the difficulty of this exam is translating the questions into something that makes sense.

This exam totally derailed my work towards the MCSE, after finishing it i could not get back into studying microsoft stuff and did my CCNA instead to keep myself moving forward.
    Finally passed my 70-293 exam..... I had to re-evaluate the amout of prep I needed as I failed this by a mile first time I sat it......

So now time to move on to 70-294 no coment this time about how long it will take given this took me so long to prep for still only two more to go for MCSE whoooooo light tunnel end......
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    luckyneo wrote: »
    Finally passed my 70-293 exam..... I had to re-evaluate the amout of prep I needed as I failed this by a mile first time I sat it......

So now time to move on to 70-294 no coment this time about how long it will take given this took me so long to prep for still only two more to go for MCSE whoooooo light tunnel end......

Congrats! Mine is scheduled for the 30th. What did you use to study? Right now I have a lab with two dc's and two xp clients. Using the ms book and cbt nuggets that my last employer got me. I know most if not all of the material, but Im still pretty excited to take it.
    I used CBT Nuggets and MS press book that my employer got me when I started a long time back.

I used a virtual machines with three servers although you could easily do it with two I also had a couple of work stations

I cant remember exact details about the exam the two times I sat it... Originally when I sat the exam I think there were about 50/60 questions I remember thinking it was a lot this time approx 40 questions there were a lot of sims in this exam so practice helps with things like remote access policies and certs etc. Hope this helps

I prefer cbt nuggets as they cover a lot of information in a quick amount of time with a good focus on exam materials

Good luck with your exam
  • lkh312lkh312 Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just for fun, we should have studied for Cloud at that time ^^