Results of Using Darril Gibson's Security+ materials

Carl_S_901Carl_S_901 Member Posts: 105
Just got back from taking my Security+ exam at the local testing center...

897/900

WOOOOOOOOT!!!

My main study material was Darril Gibson's book, audio files, and iPhone/iPad practice question app.

Mr. Gibson: Thank you sir! Great stuff.
Carl S.

Check out my personal certification journey blog
http://carlscertjourney.wordpress.com/

Comments

• RufioRufio Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and the incredible score. Nicely done.
  • babarricusbabarricus Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dude, well done, that's an incredible score!icon_cheers.gif
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! That's a fantastic score icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • nycidnycid Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well done. Darril's book is a great resource for sure.
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Amazing score:) Well done, congratz
    The Wings of Technology
  • Carl_S_901Carl_S_901 Member Posts: 105
    Thanks all.

The funny thing is that when I hit the submit button I was honestly worried that I wouldn't pass the test as a lot of the questions were worded in ways that left me thinking "what exactly are they trying to ask with this question". Also, several questions seemed like they had TWO right answers and thus I had to think about which one THEY were going to say was the MOST CORRECT/BEST answer. Luckily, I must have figured that out correctly.
    Carl S.

• Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass - Well Done
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    Congratulations on the pass. :) Excellent score!

How much time did you allot toward studying? What are your future certification goals?
    The total time frame was 45 days but there was an unplanned break of about 9 days in there. I would said actual time reading, answer practices questions, researching things on the internet, etc. was probably just under 40 hours.

I'm going to be taking the A+ exams fairly soon to finish my CompTIA trio and then it is on to CCENT/CCNA.
    Carl S.

• MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    Sounds reasonable enough, good luck with your A+ studies! I'm sure you'll do well. Let us know when you ace it! :)
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the awesome job! Score for us all tobstrive for!!! icon_thumright.gif

Question for my understanding. If you are not going for DoD position, is it worth getting the trio?
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • jbimlerjbimler Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congradulations.

I plan on getting the Kindle version if Darril's book when I finish my net+ exam next month.
  • sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrads!! Great score!
    working on CCNA
    Keener wrote: »
    Congrats on the awesome job! ...snip...

Kind of depends on your situation I guess. For me, the A+ doesn't hold a lot value unless you are wanting to be a desktop support guy. However, in my case I have some discount vouchers coming so I'll pick it up because of that.

Plus, no cert hurts to have. :)
    Carl S.

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass with such a great score. Glad the resources helped.

Good luck on the A+ and CCENT/CCNA.
  • itsgonnahappenitsgonnahappen Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome score! I'm going to start reading Darril's book soon and hopefully tackle the Security+ by mid-June. So what's next on your radar?
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I knew a lot of the material before I decided to take the exam. I would have passed, but not with the score I got. Darril's book helped me get a near perfect score. I recommend his book to anyone wanting to take the exam, experienced or not.
  • oluckykeoluckyke Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great Pass Congradulations... Question for you what practice test did you use? I'm currently studying for the exam and I'm still reading Mr. Gibson's book.
    oluckyke wrote: »
    Great Pass Congradulations... Question for you what practice test did you use? I'm currently studying for the exam and I'm still reading Mr. Gibson's book.

I combined the end of chapter questions into 1 big test. That ended up being 268 questions. I also used the 100 question practice test that was in the back of the book. I used Darril's iPhone application as well although a lot of them seemed to be pulled from the 368 question pool from the book, but I loved being able to use the quiz engine.

So basically, if you have the book you everything you need to pass the test.

I would add that you should read Darril's Security+ blog entries as well. (and follow the twitter feed)

Thanks

Carl S.

Carl's Certification Journey | The road to getting certified can often be bumpy
    Carl S.

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Glad to see another Carl S that passed this exam!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • RheydterRheydter Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Carl, well done on a good job with your certification! I also passed today, except with a mere 825 compared to your stratospheric 897 result!
    Like you, I also used Darill's book and the audio files. The book is simply excellent and I found it not only a pleasure to read, but also just a great, well-written piece of work that filled in gaps of knowledge and taught me further items that previous material had not. Point to note here, is that today is Tuesday, and after about 2weeks of reading other material, I downloaded Darill's Kindle version only on Thursday and read it twice, and did all the tests in that space of time. It's a very good book and so are the test questions. Thanks for the recommendation and thank you to Darill for such a good book.
    WOOOOOOOOT!!!icon_study.gif
    Grats on the pass Rheydter!!

The $10 price tag on the Kindle version really is a bargain. You tore through it FAST!
    Carl S.

• NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    Where exactly are the audio files? Is there a chapter in the book that links to them? (I just started reading it today)
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    This page includes links for a free sample from chapter 8, the Remember This blocks from each chapter, and the Questions and Answers from each chapter: Get Certified Get Ahead Audio Files.

Good luck on the exam.
  • _Marauder_Marauder Member Posts: 132 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and great score!!
  • pas1964pas1964 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Carl,
    what audio files did you use and where did you get them?
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    PAS

My main study material was Darril Gibson's book, audio files, and iPhone/iPad practice question app.