Options

Passed the exam today

st14st14 Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed the exam today with 880/900. Spent about 6 weeks studying, 4 those of studying hard. My main study book was Darril's but I had also skimmed through the books by Emmett Dulaney and James Michael Stewart. There were some questions about material that was not covered in any of the books. Not that there were any ... but wondering where SIP and RTP fit in the list of objectives. I guess it's hard to cover everything 100%. I was a bit concerned at first but thinking hard before choosing the answers and referring to experience seems to have paid off :). The rest of the questions could be easily answered by the wonderful coverage of the material by Darril in his book.

I also didn't realize that there is a cost to maintaining Security+, $147/3 years on top of continuing education credits. That seems a bit steep for one exam considering that there is no cost to maintain any of the microsoft certifications, for the moment at least. Oh well.

Comments

• Options
    KragsterKragster Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on pass. Great score. and thanks for sharing your Study methods.
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well done, excellent score, I think the cost you mention is only if you go down the "CE" road, otherwise there is no ongoing cost, except for the cost to either recertify in 3 yrs time, or sit a higher level cert such the CompTIA CASP, or SSCP, or CISSP for example, which will then give you another 3 yrs worth for your secuirty+.

Here is a link with more info regarding the "CE" program: http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/ceu_faq.sflb.ashx

This links to higher level certs that will revalidate your Sec+: http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/sec_plus_approved_certs.sflb.ashx
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    Carl_S_901Carl_S_901 Member Posts: 105
    st14 wrote: »
    Passed the exam today with 880/900. Spent about 6 weeks studying, 4 those of studying hard. My main study book was Darril's but I had also skimmed through the books by Emmett Dulaney and James Michael Stewart. There were some questions about material that was not covered in any of the books. Not that there were any ... but wondering where SIP and RTP fit in the list of objectives. I guess it's hard to cover everything 100%. I was a bit concerned at first but thinking hard before choosing the answers and referring to experience seems to have paid off :). The rest of the questions could be easily answered by the wonderful coverage of the material by Darril in his book.

I also didn't realize that there is a cost to maintaining Security+, $147/3 years on top of continuing education credits. That seems a bit steep for one exam considering that there is no cost to maintain any of the microsoft certifications, for the moment at least. Oh well.

Gratz on the pass.

I seen that SIP/RTP question as well and think it was a beta question as I had a similar question on my Network+ exam as well.
    Carl S.

Check out my personal certification journey blog
    http://carlscertjourney.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    congratz on the pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    Congratulations on the Sec+ pass! :) Excellent score. Thanks for giving a write up on your studying and testing experience. I'm sure upcoming Sec+ takers are appreciative of the information you've provided.

What are your next goals?
  • Options
    st14st14 Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mrkali wrote: »
    Congratulations on the Sec+ pass! :) Excellent score. Thanks for giving a write up on your studying and testing experience. I'm sure upcoming Sec+ takers are appreciative of the information you've provided.

What are your next goals?

Thank you! I'm still debating what path to pursue but I'd like it to be something security related. So many to choose from. Would you happen to have any advice? CISSP seems to be pretty much the standard requirement in job postings. Is that more theoretical? That was one option I was thinking. Another was to go the Pen Tester route perhaps.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass. Glad to hear the study guide helped.

I'm intrigued by SIP and RTP too. I know I ran across them while working I was creating practice test questiosn for the Network+ exam but really wonder what they're doing on the Security+ exam.