Server+ Yes or No

JVWhiteJVWhite Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well my goal is to get my CCNA and I wanted to know if the Server+ would be helpful. I know A+ and Net+ are great to have (studying for OS portion of A+ now) and I want to get my Sec+ because I'd like the option to do some security work in Cisco, but I just don't know if Server+ is going to help, anyone got some tips for me.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Server+ is not a very useful cert when it comes to a Cisco networking career. Apart from the little value it will hold compared to CCNA for example, it's not that relevant. However, a basic understanding of servers is always useful, so I guess it depends a bit on how much you know and how much experience you have already.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll vote no..... but.....

...but you are doing the A+ now... so you look like you are starting out on the hardware side.... which is fine for entry level. The Net+ after the A+ would show you moving toward the network side of things. The Server+ with the A+ moves you from doing deskside support/upgrages/troubleshooting to the equipment/distrubution closet/room and workgroup servers. Of course, the A+ and Net+ would probably get you to the same place.

I've seen the CCNA test described as "a mile wide and an inch deep" -- but the A+ 2 test series would have to be 10 miles wide... and I'm not qualified to decide if its 1/2 inch deep or 1 foot deep, but it covers and annoying amount of material - more than the CCNA.

Its new years and I'm drinking beer, so everything I say may be wrong ... but if you want the CCNA/NP and are thinking also of an MCSA/SE -- get the Server+ now and the Net+ now and then "tap dance" between system admin and networking, until you decide where you want to be. You want to move from the "more general to the more specific" to show "progress" in your career/certifications.

The Security+ -- is nice for the MCSE, and you might want to get it before the CCSP (since it is is more general the the Cisco Specific CCSP).

... my beer fueled 2 cents.... Happy New Years!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I look at the CompTIA cert as spring boards to a higher cert. It may not directly deal with your goal but it will show basic skills and maybe give you a feel for that next higher cert. Plus it probably will not hurt putting it on a resume.
  • antonio banderasantonio banderas Member Posts: 102
    JVWhite wrote:
    Well my goal is to get my CCNA and I wanted to know if the Server+ would be helpful. I know A+ and Net+ are great to have (studying for OS portion of A+ now) and I want to get my Sec+ because I'd like the option to do some security work in Cisco, but I just don't know if Server+ is going to help, anyone got some tips for me.

If your company offers tuition reimbursement and you have the time I say go for it. Otherwise, you will problably have your time consumed if you are working towards the CISCO path. They have about 30 certifications out now. Unfortunately, I will have to pay the Server+ cost out of pocket expense myself.
    Network/Radiation Oncology Analyst III
  • gigionegigione Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes. It will help you in the long run. If you ever plan on working on servers in the tech field it's imporant to know about room environments, SCSI, RAID configurations, disaster recovery and preventative maintence.