Exam TODO list / roadmap for the next five years

Hi What's your exam TODO list for the next five years? What's your age? I am 34 and wish to take this exams: 1) CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) 2) 1Z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert 3) 1Z0-803 Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer 4) Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP) 5) Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)

Comments

• the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    5 years is longer than I think ahead. I'm going to try to kill CISSP this year. Other than that, its more of an uncharted roadtrip for me. Also...why CASP? Just curious why that is the first one you listed. I took the beta exam for it and can tell you that it is actually a fairly difficult exam for one that gets little to no recognition in the industry.
  • tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Five years? I plan out one cert at a time. Planning out the next five years with anything pertaining to the IT industry seems a bit silly to me :) I'm sure by that time all those certs will have the word 'cloud' appended to the end of them.
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow, 5 years is a bit much. I usually plan for one year with an idea of where I want to be in 3 years.

For 2012:
    EMCISM
    CCNP

After CCNP, I need to look at what will be next. Maybe CCIP,CCDP, Junipter. the advance VMmware certs. PMP has always been on my list.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Roughly?

* CCIP => CCIE R&S => CCIE SP
    * CCNA Security
    * CCNA Voice
    * CCNA Securty
    * CCDA
    * Juniper versions of some certs

Basically, be certified as godlike in the enterprise / service provider sphere and resonable in the rest. I'm not sure precisely in which order I will tackle these, and it's possible I'll make changes. That will depend on workplace demand.
  • LaduLaserLaduLaser Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have to agree with the rest of the people here that planning five years ahead seems a bit much. Just look at the past five years - netbooks came and went, pads came and so far look like they're here to stay, everyone's got a cellular modem nowadays, 802.11n, 4/6/8-core CPUs... I say 5 years is more than a generation in the IT world.

For 2012, I aim to get:
    CASP
    CEH
    When I'm done with those, Win8 will probably be out and it'll be time to start over on MCTS for that. If not, I might start on Cisco or ITIL exams.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    LaduLaser wrote: »
    Just look at the past five years - netbooks came and went, pads came and so far look like they're here to stay, everyone's got a cellular modem nowadays, 802.11n, 4/6/8-core CPUs... I say 5 years is more than a generation in the IT world.
    And what of IPv4, IPv6, BGP, OSPF, ISIS, EIGRP, MPLS-TE, and MPLS-VPNs? I propose that the core L2/L3/L4 protocols, and even vendors' extensions, have undergone much fewer changes than the HW/SW that they run on. Someone who was an expert five years ago is still strong today. They need only brush up on the few extensions and new HW/SW to reclaim their position as expert. If your focus is on hardware or end-user applications, you might have more homework to do!
  • crashdumpcrashdump Banned Posts: 134
    the_hutch wrote: »
    5 years is longer than I think ahead.

I don't think so. UNIX and RDBMS was invented 1970, both very popular and the skills in high demand today. To learn a new iOS GUI ist not complicated, but to learn SQL or a object oriented language take big time. That's why wish to pass Oracle Java and SQL exam, so I have a solid basics background.

Others are security certifications with lot of stuff which doesn't change in the next 10 years. CASP first, because it's simpler.
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Currently working on Security+ and then SSCP (employer purchased labsim for these and paying for testing). After that, seeing what specific areas of Security interest me to determine the path I want to take. I think CEH is on the horizon, but if I want to focus on network security then I would go down the Cisco route.

* edited what company is paying for :)
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm working on CASP and linux+ right now (have free vouchers from CompTIA) then will move onto CCNA, Windows 7 and MCITP:SA/MCSA since they are required for WGU. After that I want to do CEH and a GIAC exam (not sure which yet) before moving on to work on my MS degree. Hopefully by then I'll have a job in security and/or federal government by then. Somewhere in their I might attempt the CISSP. I am currently 36 and not getting any younger...
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eansdad wrote: »
    I am currently 36 and not getting any younger...
    FWIW - I didn't attempt any certifications until I was in my mid-forties.
    crashdump wrote:
    What's your exam TODO list for the next five years?
    I think it's great that you have a goal and a plan. My observation is that for someone to be sucessful in their career, the first step is knowing what you want to be when you grow up icon_cheers.gif Best of luck to you studies.

One suggestion - you have not necessarily want to tie your end-game career aspirations to specific certifications. Most certifications that I look at tend to be based on very practical skills versus actual foundational knowledge. It sounds like your goal is to work in infosec - that is one field that changes often. You may want to re-evaluate your studies and roadmap every six months or so - otherwise you could end-up with tunnel vision and certifications which are no longer relevant.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    paul78 wrote: »
    One suggestion - you have not necessarily want to tie your end-game career aspirations to specific certifications. Most certifications that I look at tend to be based on very practical skills versus actual foundational knowledge. It sounds like your goal is to work in infosec - that is one field that changes often. You may want to re-evaluate your studies and roadmap every six months or so - otherwise you could end-up with tunnel vision and certifications which are no longer relevant.

Great advice.

I started my 5 year plan last year. I'll be starting WGU next Spring post A.S., CCNA, RHCSA, Sec+, VCP4/5, possibly ITILv3, and others. My best laid plans have had additions and subtractions as courses have popped up and time for less applicable certs has thinned. Like Paul said, lay a road map, but by all means, be flexible.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • FrostbiteFrostbite Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently working on MCITP: SA, then I'll probably go for MCITP: DST and MCTS 70-662 for Exchange. After that, CCNA. Next year I plan to resume my pursuit of a BS double major in Environmental Science and Biology, which will probably take up the next 3-5 years.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Been struggling with CCNA for 2 years now...
    I pick up the materials and then work and/or college comes a long and I drop it for months, then I try again and so on.
    Right now I'm a bit unmotivated but Im hoping really bad for a CCNA before mid summer.
    meh
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    one last CCNP: Security exam to complete. CCDA --> CCDP while waiting for the CCIE: Security to get a reboot. CISSP.
    WIP: IPS exam